Posts by Hifihedgehog

My intention is to use it for a headphone and gadget review site that I am now three months behind in launching (yet I have MOT status for it; go figure). I guess I am trying for as close to perfection as I can get from the start. I'd like to get a database going and also run some virtual headphone demos. If I can get 95% of the way there to an $8000 Neumann HATS with just a souped-up DIY build, that's a huge win in my book. Trust me: I don't think about any of this stuff...
Not to derail... For all of this, I greatly appreciate you passing along Conover's article, also the forum posts on solderdude and BMF's testing rigs, though I will be honest and admit it is not quite up to the level of specifications and accuracy I am aiming for. I read through John Conover's documentation for his headphone measurement system and while his conclusions are generally thorough and well-researched, there have been findings in recent years on which he has...
Edit: Initially, I had mislabeled the CPU Fan and Heatsink since I was going off of memory with this one. It should be this product... Cooler Master GeminII M4 ...and not the Thermaltake Slim X3, which is an extremely poor performing unit (worse than stock!) by the way. I had gone through systematically and cross-compared various heatsink and fan CPU coolers using HardwareSecrets and other sites. It may not be the very top of the heap, but it keeps temperatures around 30...
Many of the photos are no longer visible at the online image service for the DIY binaural microphone/head and torso simulator they describe.
In exchange for either (1) a Sennheiser HD 800 (later serials preferred) or (2) a Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen and some negotiable sum of money, I would like to trade you my relatively unused, excellent condition (less than 100 hours powered on) small form factor Core i7 gaming PC. This is extremely tiny by gaming PC standards at about 10.8 liters in volume and fits like a glove inside a 24-can cooler bag (...
Gotcha. ;) It would be quite nice if we had access to as high scale of a testing rig as Tyll's to test this sort of things and see what impact removing attenuating material would have on the overall sound quality.
If you are speaking merely about the attenuation of outside sound, then yes, I definitely agree the HD 600 attenuates a bit less than DT 880. However, they don't disappear/get out of the way of the music as much as my DT 880-600's. In my experience, the HD 600's driver presence is a bit more obvious than the DT 880-600's.
I will have to respectfully disagree here. I have heard several TOTL headphones (K812 and HD 800 at Sweetwater for a few hours, HiFiMAN HE-1000 and JPS Labs Abyss at a local audio store for a few hours on four or five separate occasions) and the HD 600 sounds closed compared to the DT 880-600. Speaking of driver responsiveness and not sound signature, the driver itself is moderately fast but not as fast or clean as the DT 880-600. This makes them seem less open to my ears....
Interesting. The HD 6x0 are some of the most closed sounding last-gen TOTL open headphones I have ever used. Versus my DT 880-600, it is no contest. The DT 880-600 is far wider than the HD 6x0 series. The HD 650 and HD 600 when I demoed them at Sweetwater and the HD 600 I owned had a very subdued treble dip in the 7 to 10 kHz range. Many others who have heard my HD 600 when I owned it and three family members present when I demoed the HD 600 and HD 650 at Sweetwater...
With Gmail, you can do the following trick: Hope that helps!