Posts by Hifihedgehog

As much as owners and fans of the HD800 (or any model of headphone, for that matter) don't like hearing this, the day will come when the HD800 will see a price drop. I personally see it in coming in the next couple of years and it will mean a shaking up of the high-end market as we know it. Currently, the high-end full-sized headphone market is in an up-swing thanks to Beats and other big names in the general consumer arena. However, there is only so much millage you can...
Same here. A used or end-of-life HD800, or one of its descendants featuring its technology in a lower price bracket, will be what I bite on. Until then, it's not worth.
Having heard or owning some detail-oriented IEM's (Phonak, Etymotic), I beg to differ. YMMV and FWIW.
The Ety ER-4 line is one thing--its prices are down at sane levels ($150 to $300) while still delivering exceptional performance. On the other hand, the HD800's inception brought about the mad Summit-Fi hype wave and is far, far above its manufacturing cost. Granted, it does offer wonderful performance but, having extensively demoed it myself, I know it has pros and cons, including a middle treble spike and a perceivable lack of articulation around the upper midrange/lower...
That's the current serial, then? I don't follow the HD800 thread too much and I was making a shot in the dark based on a distant memory. Still, it is way overpriced for a product that old. If it is still expensive for them to make, they need their engineering team to seriously rethink the fundamentals.
Maybe not those exact models, but maybe new models with the same technology at lower prices. That's the hope with any new technology--that it will get cheaper and better as time goes on.
I couldn't agree more. Even though the HD800 has sold over 10,000 units, I think Sennheiser is starting to see slowing sales from the growing competition of HiFiMAN (HE-560, HE-1000) and Audeze (EL-8, LCD-3) in the Hi-Fi and Summit-Fi price sectors and Beyerdynamic (Custom One Pro) and AKG (Q 701) in the Mid-Fi sectors. And I think that is a good thing. The HD 800 technology has been milked for what is worth long enough. It's high time we see that sort of technology in...
  Day one is done and progress for my first PIMETA V1 board is coming along quite nice. Excluding a few parts here and there, I was able to solder on all the resistors, capacitors, sockets and ICs. It is likely impossible to make out on the board, but those op-amps are OPA627's, nestled securely in their sockets and ready to bring the house down! I also have some AD797's, AD8620's and AD843's on standby for some fun op-amp rolling! Not shown are the buffers,...
Hey @tangent! Just as a quick sanity check, if I were setting up a unity gain loop in a Pimeta-V1 board, I obviously would leave out R3 and jumper R4 in the LR (or left and right) channels. But as for the ground channel, if my R1 were 3.3 KΩ in the LR channels, R1 and R4 in the G (or ground) channel would be 3.3 KΩ as well and R3 would remain open, correct?
Yes, oh, yes. Scarcely mention distortion or noise and vinyl records or resistors in the same breath and you may become this furry guy's midnight snack. As in, ohm, ohm, ohm... *gulp* *licks lips* Moral of the story: treat this master ohm guard dog with care and kindness and it will stay ohm, sweet, ohm. You have been warned.   The funniest thing happened today. Today, my circuits class began building the power supply portion for their speaker amplifiers. With excitement,...