Posts by Sonichedgehog360

Tyll is usually quite a busy guy, but hopefully he will answer my email request for this very thing. If you guys also want to try to loan him a modded Q 701, email him here:tyll@innerfidelity.com
I'll go out on a limb and say that I've never experienced the tonality or detail issues elwappo90 is speaking of, that, in some ways, are similar to the K 701. In fact, modded, the Q 701 that I am using does not, to my ears, have the midrange and treble grain that I clearly heard in a K 702 demo unit in a store about two weeks ago. Between the Q and K iteration, AKG has done something to the driver, housing or pad design which makes the driver performance less grainy--and,...
It's righty tightly, lefty loosey here for removing the outer cover. Like tdockweiler says, I don't also detect any mid bleeding at all. It's like adding a world-class subwoofer to go with two top tier floorstanding speakers. By some magic, you gain bass energy and delivery without losing the trademark midrange and treble.   Here's a hint: You'll want a small screwdriver. An eyeglass repair kit-sized one should do.  Be extra careful removing the second inner cover on the...
Me too. I just manned up and did the mod to see what all the hype is about this. Let me tell you, this is the kind of upgrade that you'd think should come by default. It improves the bass quality and quantity by a LARGE measure. There is actually a nice thump that gives these a wow factor without recessed mids (I'm looking at you, DT 990). That's right, without harming the clarity and soundstaging of the Q 701.
I just did the bass mod and it was a piece of cake to do. All I must say is why don't the Q701 come with the sticker removed by default because it is that much better without it!
I just don't get it when the Q 701 is called boring. I have not had one boring experience with it. But I have a theory about that. I am thinking some people wear the Q 701 incorrectly. You see, if you place the cups down and forward on the face towards the cheeks, they get a slightly stiff, much less energetic sound. It's night and day because once you have them properly lined up with your ear pinnae, what was once a yawn fest turns into an exhilarating aural bath in...
That's reassuring. I'm guilty of being a perfectionist when it comes to much in life and I always want to stretch my dollar to the max and because of that, I want to see clearly good results in whatever I'm after. I owned an Objective 2 amp and a HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC for use with a SRH940 and that amp did very little to improve the sound but the DAC helped immensely by widening the soundstaging and boosting clarity and impact. Fast forward to today when I now have the Q 701...
Well, I was able to get a good deal on a FiiO E17 so I have gone that route instead. I just hope I am not disappointed.
  Mine are also the Austrian ones, fortunately, that I picked up this week during the headphone deal of the year for $130 "like-new" (returned and never opened!). They sound like they are parched for power even though they are already so impressive the way they are. I'd imagine it would make a huge difference if I get the O2/ODAC combo. So, that's what I think I'll do. The only pity is I'll have to wait a few months to get it. But I've decided that I'm going to go the DIY...
I re-read some of Voldemort's (he who cannot be named) musings and also this ( http://lsirui.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/k701-vs-hd650-electrical-measurement/ ) and from that I've come to the conclusion that the FiiO's would probably not be the optimal choice for the Q 701. Because of this, I'm seriously considering an O2/ODAC combo, but I wondering if there are any places (JDS Labs,, etc.) that would do a custom job for about $40 extra so it can take batteries. (...