Posts by Sonichedgehog360

I do and here's the answer: If you set the DAC in ASIO to bit match the input file and that file is 16-bit, then when you set the volume lower than 100% while using that 16-bit window of resolution, you lose some of the dynamics inherent to the track and it sounds mushy, boring and less realistic. Effectively, you normally get more or less 12-bits (or 4096 steps) of real world dynamic control versus the full 16-bits (65536 steps), a vast difference in quality in my...
I've owned both and I only partially believe in it. Here's a quick headphone comparison for reference. The HD681 are, to my ears, better than the DT880 which has unnatural treble response in comparison and MIA mids. The HD681 also has much better definition and balance than the HD650. However, where they fail is they have a clear resonance issue that sucks out the inner detail, dynamics and life out of them. For some people, this can make them sound worse than the HD650...
I paid nearly a third of that--$129 with One Day Prime shipping. It was for a like-new condition lime green Q701 which was really a returned unopened Austrian-made one. This was during that deep discount at the end of February on Amazon Warehouse.
I safely say the same thing. It's decently clear and engaging on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. I would imagine it would sound the same or better on my family member's iPad. It doesn't, however, sound good on my iPhone 4S--very muddy and uncontrolled.
Another option you can have in mind is an O2/ODAC combo system which is also very highly touted.
Some things that I have noticed in using the Q701 that other users should keep in mind. These recommendations may sound like they can apply to other headphones and they, in fact, do. Still, it is a good idea to double check these two things:   1. Headphone Placement   I cannot stress this enough, most especially for the Q701 which seems to very picky in this regard. I have even seen photos of some users here with the cups clearly laying forward on their cheeks. There...
I bought the FiiO E17 and I have been using it for about two weeks now and I have not warmed up to its sound. I do not deny the fact that it has plentiful impact and a juicy warmth to it, but I continually hear a veil to the sound that I do not care for in any way, as if it is clouded over and smeared. I can understand why, in a few cases, some users have said that they prefer their unamped headphone outputs (i.e. MacBook Pro, Apple iDevice, etc.) over the FiiO E17...
Nope, not yet. If more of you email him, he may answer. He is quite a busy fellow. Between being Editor in Chief of Innerfidelity and the biggest voice in the headphone world, he can sometimes take months to reply. From my experience, it was this way while awaiting an answer to an inquiry about Innerfidelity's graphs.
I guess we audiophiles can sometimes be fickle creatures and yet also very much subjectively biased. I have done more comparisons on my own of the Q 701 with and without the bass mod (sticker off and on). To my surprise, I prefer the unmodded form much more. When properly amped (or amped with a E17, so YMMV), the Q 701 sounds truer to life with the mids and treble in line with the bass. Modded, the Q 701's the articulation and air, I feel, actually gets slightly...
I know. This mod may only raise the lower and mid bass by a hair, but once you experience the difference, there is no going back. Now, if we can only get Tyll to graph it so we can visually confirm what I have been hearing in some frequency sweeps and other tests. To me, it sounds like a 3 to 4 dB gradual boost centered around 45-50 Hz, but I'm not 100 percent positive.