Posts by Sonichedgehog360

I just received the DT990 Premium 600 ohm and though my impressions are still in the very early formative stages, they are not like the DT 990 Pro at all and are much more to my liking than the Q701. The midrange is much more defined and present and treble less grainy than the Pros I had and in fact the sound is much more open, dynamic and coherent it is night and day between these sister models. I even feel the soundstage on these is much larger than the Q701 and I...

In most cases, the HP laptops have very poor sound quality from a poorly implemented, low poor performing DAC chip. I cannot refind the RMAA result currently, but it had about a -70dB SNR--terrible noise and a static mess, a recipe for sonic disaster, and it usually is bandaged up by Beats Audio to sound even worse.
   Quote:I have also found that using a lower quality digital source requires me to up the ante on the volume. I recently found the FiiO E17 the antithesis of detail, even compared to my tablet output. I could hear a very slight improvement from my iPhone 4S, but, to my ears, it was not worth shelling out 129 bucks. I returned it as soon as I got it for a full refund because I had already heard much more competent, less pricey dac and amp setups. One of those that comes to...
I wonder how high the serial numbers are for the newer Chinese models? Anyone here happen to have one and would like to share?   Pity that these don't sell like hotcakes at the price they're going for, especially compared to the Beats and Bose headphones which have sold in the hundreds of thousands of units. In fact, I remember when these (when as the K701) went for $400 to $500 back around 2006 when I got my first audiophile headphones, the Sennheiser HD555.   Just...
From what I can tell, the Q701 serial numbers are separate from the K70x models. I remember browsing through that thread and seeing serials much higher there, like in the 50,000s or something like that. I also got mine on Amazon warehouse--like-new, and it turned out to be a returned, unopened, Austrian model. :)
Welcome to the Q701 club, dude! Mine is serial number 11529.  
The 32-bit floating point resolution you are referring to only occurs if you are using the Windows DirectSound API and that is only in effect in the digital preprocessing (referring to the device) phase, or before the data is passed to the audio device or DAC. It is a moot point if you are using ASIO or WASAPI which inherently bypass this in the operating system. Either way, the data will eventually be cut down to the DAC's highest supported bit depth (16-bit or 24-bit) or...
I do and here's the answer: If you set the DAC in ASIO to bit match the input file and that file is 16-bit, then when you set the volume lower than 100% while using that 16-bit window of resolution, you lose some of the dynamics inherent to the track and it sounds mushy, boring and less realistic. Effectively, you normally get more or less 12-bits (or 4096 steps) of real world dynamic control versus the full 16-bits (65536 steps), a vast difference in quality in my...
I've owned both and I only partially believe in it. Here's a quick headphone comparison for reference. The HD681 are, to my ears, better than the DT880 which has unnatural treble response in comparison and MIA mids. The HD681 also has much better definition and balance than the HD650. However, where they fail is they have a clear resonance issue that sucks out the inner detail, dynamics and life out of them. For some people, this can make them sound worse than the HD650...