Posts by Sonichedgehog360

I don't really care for closed headphones because they sound too congested and false. The ATH-m50 was the only closed headphone which some worked for me, but I still preferred the bass of the HD555 I had trashed. I have tried the AKG K550 which made me ask myself "why all the hype?" I also tried a Sennheiser HD-25, but it was like a bassy, closed Grado under the Sennheiser moniker. No way.   I was thinking about getting AH-D2000/5000 a few years ago, but now they're...
Thanks! I agree the Q701 has deeper bass yet less impact and perhaps bloat than the HD558. I did, however, like that color of the sound in the HD558 since it still seemed to be detailed and make things fun without getting out of hand like some of the other headphones I have tried before.   Although I am not trying to get necessarily the best sound or end-all, be-all, I am looking for the best complimenting sound to the AKG Q701. It is already given that I will have...
It is time again for me to buy new headphones to take the place of previous ones--Superlux HD668B, Audio Technica ATH-m50--which have found a lucky owner on eBay. To keep this simple and self-explanatory, I will give some background on my audio preferences and preferences:   I used to own the Sennheiser HD555 which has been the most satisfying headphone for me. It had a decent soundstage, good low-level detail extraction compared to the HD280, ATH-m50, SR225i,...
Good comments so far!   If I could see any innovation used in headphone listening, it would be a more realistic 3D sound virtualizer. I don't think any crossfeed or HRTF quite cuts it for me--one either lacks proper reverberation to make soundstage realistic or the other has an artificial tone to it. However, if a developer made something using ideas from newer technologies, it could satisfy everyone. First, they should look to Dolby Atmos by using the idea of...
I am (hopefully) posting this in the appropriate section of the forum with the purpose of asking this open-ended "what if" question. Many years ago, Sennheiser went out on a whim in the design process and masterfully engineered the very first open(-backed) headphones, an innovative feat for its time. Soon after, other manufacturers followed suit and added other notable innovations, such as noise cancelling, electrostatics, planar-magnetics, angled drivers and so forth to...
Opps.  I just want to post back and say that I just read another thread where someone compared the 250 ohm and 600 ohm DT990s, and found that the 250 ohm version had more bass and highs, and vastly preferred the 250 version.  If I am using logic appropriately, then the 32 ohm version should have even more bass and treble.   I will go ahead with 32 ohm version when I decide to hit the purchase button, and add an amp in later for the extra benefits of expanded dynamics...
That is reassuring.  Although, I am still unsure if the 600 ohm version is the best considering my amping situation.  At any rate, I will not be buying a headphone for a long, long while but it's nice to have a rough battle plan ready for when I take the climb to the next tier in Audiophilia.  Thanks for the help, maverickronin!   Consider this thread closed.
I just finished reading a post comparing a DT990 '05 to a HD650 ( http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/270284/dt990-vs-hd650/15#post_3443272 ), and it seems to correspond fully with my current experience.  The poster noted that the HD650 was more involving than the HD595.  I do remember listening to the HD650 a couple years ago at a now-closed audio shop, and if my memory serves me well, it was very similar to the M50 albeit with a much smoother midrange, warmer yet less...
Thanks for the recommendation, maverickronin. That is the impression I got from reading the threads on the DT990s, but I wasn't too sure about it.  I live in an area that has virtually zero audio shops except for a Grado dealer and a few Guitar Centers.  Still, from what you've told me, it lines up perfectly with what I have been able to gather from everyone else's impressions. I'm still unsure about the 32 ohm version, though.  I heard one opinion online at Amazon...
I'm looking for an upgrade from my ATH-m50's and I want to know if the DT880 and DT990 are good upgrades.  The problem is, I can't really decide which is best from all the comments and review given in the forums.  Confused, to say the least!   For what I have read, the DT990 '05 and DT880 '03 are rated as the best headphones for musicality and detail.  I personally have no experience with either, but I have listened to a DT880 '05 Pro unamped from a laptop.  The...