Posts by Sonichedgehog360

From what I can tell, the Q701 serial numbers are separate from the K70x models. I remember browsing through that thread and seeing serials much higher there, like in the 50,000s or something like that. I also got mine on Amazon warehouse--like-new, and it turned out to be a returned, unopened, Austrian model. :)
Welcome to the Q701 club, dude! Mine is serial number 11529.  
The 32-bit floating point resolution you are referring to only occurs if you are using the Windows DirectSound API and that is only in effect in the digital preprocessing (referring to the device) phase, or before the data is passed to the audio device or DAC. It is a moot point if you are using ASIO or WASAPI which inherently bypass this in the operating system. Either way, the data will eventually be cut down to the DAC's highest supported bit depth (16-bit or 24-bit) or...
I do and here's the answer: If you set the DAC in ASIO to bit match the input file and that file is 16-bit, then when you set the volume lower than 100% while using that 16-bit window of resolution, you lose some of the dynamics inherent to the track and it sounds mushy, boring and less realistic. Effectively, you normally get more or less 12-bits (or 4096 steps) of real world dynamic control versus the full 16-bits (65536 steps), a vast difference in quality in my...
I've owned both and I only partially believe in it. Here's a quick headphone comparison for reference. The HD681 are, to my ears, better than the DT880 which has unnatural treble response in comparison and MIA mids. The HD681 also has much better definition and balance than the HD650. However, where they fail is they have a clear resonance issue that sucks out the inner detail, dynamics and life out of them. For some people, this can make them sound worse than the HD650...
I paid nearly a third of that--$129 with One Day Prime shipping. It was for a like-new condition lime green Q701 which was really a returned unopened Austrian-made one. This was during that deep discount at the end of February on Amazon Warehouse.
I safely say the same thing. It's decently clear and engaging on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. I would imagine it would sound the same or better on my family member's iPad. It doesn't, however, sound good on my iPhone 4S--very muddy and uncontrolled.
Another option you can have in mind is an O2/ODAC combo system which is also very highly touted.
Some things that I have noticed in using the Q701 that other users should keep in mind. These recommendations may sound like they can apply to other headphones and they, in fact, do. Still, it is a good idea to double check these two things:   1. Headphone Placement   I cannot stress this enough, most especially for the Q701 which seems to very picky in this regard. I have even seen photos of some users here with the cups clearly laying forward on their cheeks. There...
I bought the FiiO E17 and I have been using it for about two weeks now and I have not warmed up to its sound. I do not deny the fact that it has plentiful impact and a juicy warmth to it, but I continually hear a veil to the sound that I do not care for in any way, as if it is clouded over and smeared. I can understand why, in a few cases, some users have said that they prefer their unamped headphone outputs (i.e. MacBook Pro, Apple iDevice, etc.) over the FiiO E17...