or Connect

Posts by Hifihedgehog

Impact? Impact is eye-blinklingly fast! I have been listening to my Blu-ray of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and its DTS-HD MA audio track is addictingly vivid. The very first opening scene where the LFE boom rumbles after the One Ring is cut from Sauron's hang is deep and strong. In another early scene of The Fellowship of the Ring, the enchanted fireworks in the visage of a dragon is fizzling and soaring through the air with a whoosh! while the...
I just received my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600-ohm's and my hutch was right. These are far more resolving than the DT 880 Pro ever was. There are endless gobs of low-level clarity, bass reaches deeper and the midrange is clearer and far more neutral. Like another user aptly said, the DT 880 Premium 600 is better sound. Even unamped out of my iPhone, it sounds better than the Pro model ever did.
I just confirmed that I have a latest revision Groove. It turns out the seller I bought it from on Reverb got it as a personal gift directly from the CEO of Apogee this holiday season. Wowzers! EDIT: I just took a peek at the inside of mine. It is the ES9016S, not the ES9018S like the Asian website purported. It was an easy mistake for anyone to make, especially since you have to look very closely at 1 pt font under hot white light just to make it out. This means there is...
Initial models of the standard version of the Groove used just the ESS 9006A. This is according to one of the representatives, DonSpacht, on GearSlutz.Source: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11061718-post101.htmlHowever, it looks like later revisions now use the ESS ES9018S. I already emailed Apogee to find out which revisions of the Groove use this far superior chip. For reference, my Groove is hardware revision v0.11: Source: http://www.tipelse.com/article/205081.html 
We will have to agree to disagree. I stand by my assertion that the 600-ohm model has tighter bass, filled-out midrange, and a smoother, more neutral treble response. Why? My own graphical translation, which is a lifted graph of the 250-ohm model's frequency response curve (in green) onto the 600-ohm model's plot, clearly shows this. However, I admit that placement variation is a highly likely reason for the other channel's atypical unmatched bass behavior. When I...
In my experience, HeadRoom's graphs are not as consist or as accurate as Tyll's at InnerFidelity. The graphs I used from InnerFidelity were the following:   / 
Here is the post I found that I had read where the user says the higher impedance DT drivers are lighter. As to efficiency and finesse of the driver, its magnetic strength would be stronger will more, tighter windings:  Judging by the charts, the DT 880 Premium 600-ohm is more neutral. The sonic differences you should expect with the DT 880 Premium 600-ohm would be tighter bass (about 3 to 5 dB more from 30 to 100 Hz), more upper midrange (about 3 dB more at 2 KHz), and...
It has more than enough voltage and power output. According to InnerFidelity, the 600-ohm model requires .43 mV to reach 90 dB SPL. Performing the necessary calculations based on a 96 dB/mV sensitivity, you would need the following voltage and wattage drive capability to achieve these listed loudness levels:Listening Loudness Voltage Needed Current Needed Power Needed Safe85 dB SPL0.22 Vrms0.37 mA0.08 mWModerate100 dB SPL1.23 Vrms2.05 mA2.52 mWFairly Loud (110 dB SPL3.88...
I tell you, the folklore out there goes every which way. Sometimes, it is pure speculation that is innocently based in junk science and wishful thinking. However, facts remain facts and Beyerdynamic states on their website that the 600-ohm drivers are, indeed, lighter than the 250-ohm drivers, which have in their own words "minimal moving mass." I have read at least one account on Head-Fi from a user who bought replacement drivers in both ohm ratings and confirmed the...
Ditto. Although the Head-Fi'er below has since obtained many more flagships since he wrote this, at the time he considered his DT 880 Premium 600 to be a great companion to his Orpheus. 'Nuff said.Quote:Originally Posted by wavoman As many have already posted, we all hear differently.  Physical measurements of headphones are fun and might give you some pre-purchase guidance, but actually hearing/auditioning for some time with your own music (if you are buying headphones...