Posts by Sonichedgehog360

Delete me.
It looks like the headphone hiatus jig is up. Darn you Head-Fi! In all seriousness, I willingly was on a pre-planned financial interim. At the moment, I am still waiting for product A. Now, with some careful readjustment in what product A is, I can get product B, a headphone. So, in a way, I am officially back in action. The T 90 sound exactly like the tonality I was itching for in the Sennheiser HD800. Certainly the mighty music microscope, HD 800 was actually missing a...
How does the ER-4B compared to the HD800? To give some perspective, I am very well acquainted with dynamic headphones but not IEMs. In my time, I have only heard a handful of IEMs (Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, Shure SE535), both of which I never really cared for because they were too dark and boring. I am a detail freak and straight line purist who has no tolerance for the stereotypical warm and smooth audiophile sound.
I am in the market for a new pair of headphones and the PSB M4U 1 are in my radar. I am more educated and well-experienced this time around, what with having listened to virtually all the dynamic headphones on the market earlier this summer at Sweetwater. Included in those I listened to were the HD600 and HD800, which have now become my favorites. Not included were the PSB M4U 1 and, having seen the glowing reviews at The WireCutter, they are at the top of my list...
FYI, to those following Buy Sonic, Sonic Electronix is its parent company. Arguably, Sonic Electronix is one of the best online retailers I have dealt with aside from B&H Photo Video and Sweetwater. At least Buy Sonic isn't another pitiful excuse of a company like Dakmart or a-certain-group-buying-racket-that-shall-not-be-named.
I have heard and abhorred many of the same sonic issues of the headphones you outlined there. For a visual form of proof of this,  I point you to the following graphs. All the graphs from places like HeadRoom, Reviewed and GoldenEars do not line up really with my listening experiences but these ones actually do.   http://www.head-fi.org/t/409732/some-more-frequency-response-graphs   You will notice that the HD600 is all but absent but here is how you can essentially...
Again, that makes more sense. In a way, it is almost as if you just pulled a mythbuster on what is the basis of the Meier crossfeed. Counteracting the comb filter is exactly what Jan Meier is trying to do with his crossfeed as he describes here ( http://headwize.com/?page_id=654 ) in his article on Headwize, but choosing that as a design goal sounds wrong when you consider no speaker will ever be truly flat from a listener's position. I suppose any theory can sound good if...
All this makes perfect sense. In other words, a 180 degree crossed-applied signal should have a constant delay since there is no curved path or arc to travel of varying delays like the illustration on Dr. Meier's site shows. I still have the matter of the shelf cutoff and attenuation to figure out. Thank you! As for the delay I mentioned, the reason Dr. Meier uses a variable frequency delay is to reduce the comb effect.  It has been a while since I thoroughly read his...
That's the general idea! There is a delay for bass and midrange frequencies reaching opposite channels at attenuated volumes. This in crossfeed helps to remove that awkward double subwoofer sensation (that is how I describe how I experience it) from hard panned sounds on the extreme left and right of the soundscape. Now that I am at a proper computer and not confined to a smartphone, I can explain. I am very familiar with the basic theory behind crossfeed. I have read Jan...
Most crossfeed filters default to a setting which would simulate speakers being 60 degrees apart and I am trying to figure out is which settings would work to simulate a 150 to 180 degree speaker setup.The delay you are referring is, to my knowledge, actually independent of speaker distance, since the delay concerns, for all intents and purposes, the delay between the bass and midrange, and the treble, and not the distance from the speakers to the listener.That may sound...