Posts by Sonichedgehog360

Closed
Agreed. Let's agree to disagree. Nice to see a level-headed person here. I just shared my opinion just in case anyone tried and felt the same way or just in case anyone was a fence sitter here. (Ears vary, after all!) :)EDIT: Out of curiosity, which flavor of DT990 was it? Personally, I found the Pro version recessed/muffled and sibilant compared to my Premium 600 ohm one which comes across as clearer and more refined.
Bumping this thread to put my two cents in. I agree with this assessment on the T90 one hundred percent. Something about its midrange and treble kept me from warming up to them. Wait, I kind of already let the cat out of the bag. Eek, cold, harsh and threadbare! If you think the DT990's brightness is equivalent to staring right into a beaming MagLite, the T90 is like looking straight at a sparking welding gun under the clear, bright sun of a summer noon. I love my new...
One of those allegedly alien substances that got the CIA on AKG's tail for the longest time until Sennheiser had the gall to release their Cyberman helmet, right?
That sounds like it was the very best orientation it could have fallen. I recall someone saying elsewhere that an AKG representative commented that the headband (presumably the rods) is virtually unbreakable. It must be composed of some synthetic material, like a variety of carbon fiber, that gives it such incredible resilience.
They do to some degree but they will not tame bad recordings in the least. If a recording on a Q701 (or $5000 reference speaker system for that matter) tends to be unbearably thin and scratchy due to over EQ'ing or brickwalled over-compression, it may sound worse on the DT990 Premium 600 ohm. Luckily, my number of such bad recordings accounts for a paltry 10 percent or so of my music library. Even then, reducing the volume works more times than not and I am still more than...
I did the bass mod on my Q701 actually and though it helped to some degree, it somewhat ruined its dynamics in the midrange and it only made the upper treble roll-off all the more noticeable. Again, note that the comparison was between a 250 ohm Pro (not Premium; in ZombieX's excellent comparison, the 250 ohm Pro is noted as the warmest of the DT 990 line and now I can clearly see why) and my current 600 ohm Premium and, to be honest, it was going off my memory. But I feel...
Here's a rough ranking between the two DT990 models and Q701 so far based on my impressions: Bass:1) DT990 Premium 600 ohm: impact, depth, extension, speed: W-O-W!2) Q701: reaches surprisingly low, but it lacks quite a bit of weight and authority3) DT990 Pro: slightly slow and muddy; surprisingly even the Q701 has better extension Midrange:1) DT990 Premium 600 ohm: less piercing in the upper midrange than the Q701 and yet are is veiled like its Pro sibling; the midrange is...
Height and depth are worlds larger and the width, to my surprise, is the same to my ears only that it does not have that weird foggy ambiguity that the Q701 has from it cutting off the upper octave (11 KHz and above) by 10 decibels. I think untrained ears may confuse this ambiguity with a sense of heightened soundstage but if EQ is applied, it is easy to hear that the Q701 has basically just as much (or little) soundstage as any other entry level Hi-Fi headphone (i.e....
I just received the DT990 Premium 600 ohm and though my impressions are still in the very early formative stages, they are not like the DT 990 Pro at all and are much more to my liking than the Q701. The midrange is much more defined and present and treble less grainy than the Pros I had and in fact the sound is much more open, dynamic and coherent it is night and day between these sister models. I even feel the soundstage on these is much larger than the Q701 and I...