or Connect

Posts by tangent

...or if it is, I want to know how you got the solder to 1,749°C.  
 That's the first question in my CMoy Pocket Amplifier tutorial FAQ:  My guide is about 15 years old now, and the original project even older, and my guide has received many updates over that time. You should therefore start with the assumption that your question has already been answered in the guide or on the forums.
Teflon-insulated wire is pretty stiff, in my experience. The primary tradeoff is that it's much tougher than PVC.   Teflon is also "marine grade" in terms of waterproofing, though that's only likely to matter if you live near the ocean and find that salt in the air keeps corroding the copper in the wiring.   Two Teflon-coated wires right next to each other (i.e. a stereo pair in a cable) also make a much lower value capacitor than having two PVC-coated wires with the...
Eagle Plastic Devices offers something similar, pre-made:  
Maybe.   First, the standard TREAD design used a bridge rectifier, which looks like two diodes in series to a DC source. This means you're going to be feeding the regulator about 22.6V, so the regulator needs to be set to about 20V or below in order to maintain regulation.   Second, your +/-24 suggests that your power source is a symmetric dual-output supply. Whether you can run the negative side into the lower half of a totem-pole-stacked TREAD pair depends on whether...
 That's why I added several more board alternatives to the tutorial. I fully expect I'm going to have to divorce the tutorial from Radio Shack entirely at some point.  Intriguing, but shady to the max. Let's count the ways: "Radio Shaek" part number "276-15n"; yeah, you just came up with that one at random, right? using "Veroboard" in the item description, a trademark in at least one country they will ship to the PCB art must violate someone's copyright So no, this one...
 Your search-fu has failed you. It's still there. You probably included the dashes, which doesn't work on their new site. (It looks like their web developers have no concept of the history of RS part numbers, and have chosen to split the search term on the dash and use OR logic, so you're getting all items with 276 or 150 somewhere in them. This is why you don't outsource your core business functions. `Course, that probably means RS doesn't consider its web site a core...
 Really? Educate me.
 According to its product page, the KGSS uses a pair of DACT stepped attenuators. That's about as high-end as things get without getting into audiophoolery. DACT claims 0.05 dB tracking accuracy. You're claiming that even that is not good enough? ("...even the KGSS pot unbalances fast...")  As I hinted above, you may be able to obtain the schematic and then modify its internals to lower its gain. No, don't ask me, I've never built one. Take it up as a separate thread.  I...
Have you read my Notes on Audio Attenuators?   If even high-end attenuators are giving audible imbalances in your system, that's a pretty good indicator that the overall system gain is too high.  Not only will reducing the system gain allow you to turn the volume controls up into their better-matched upper range, it may reduce the apparent noise in the system.   Ideally, you'd do this by reducing the gain in the active stage(s). Some amplifiers and such have gain...