Posts by tangent

Actually, thinking more about it, a 22 kΩ series resistor on the pot will just get him back to near the 50 kΩ input impedance he started with. Unless he also changed other things on the input side of the amp, this won't cause any harm.
 Damping factor only matters on the output side. As for the filter effect, that only comes into effect if there's an input cap on the amp, or an output cap on the source. An output cap on the source would probably be huge, so it's not going to affect anything materially. If there's an input cap in the amplifier, then you're right, it needs to be taken into account. I'd rather increase the pot's overall resistance as stated and then also increase the cap's value to keep the...
 I don't see why you can't do it with 2. Just one in series with each channel. That effectively pushes the wiper down, requiring that you turn the volume control up to get to the same effective volume level.
 Sorry, it doesn't work that way. A potentiometer is just an adjustable voltage divider. If you take two pots that have different overall resistances but which have the same taper curve and set them to the same position, they will divide the input signal down to the same level. What does change by reducing the pot's overall resistance is the load on the source driving it, and the Johnson noise. Almost every source made today — excepting only truly strange things like...
 Philosophy is always worth arguing. :) Buying tickets to a play but doing something else instead is like my example of buying an EAGLE license and immediately abandoning it. You didn't get any value out of either purchase. The only way the abandonment makes sense is if the compensating value of doing the other thing is higher than the value you would reasonably expect to get out of the earlier purchase. If the point of the play vs. party tradeoff example is that a more...
 No, it isn't. The sunk cost fallacy talks about losing propositions, where the sucker keeps increasing his investment in the hopes of getting a payoff. If you buy a new EAGLE license today, then immediately switch to KiCad, that is simply foolish. You didn't get any value out of it first. My comment is the exact opposite of that situation: I bought my license so long ago and got so much use out of it that I no longer care about abandoning it. I do not need to worry about...
 I am a long-time EAGLE user who went out and decided to try moving to KiCad. I wrote up my thoughts after two weeks of work with it. You came along and made some corrections. I acknowledged those corrections and thanked you for them, too. Why are you continuing to harp on those initial errors? Move on. If you disregard my postings because they may contain errors or opinions that don't match yours, you are doing KiCad a disservice. You should be viewing it as valuable...
I have not formally released any of my hardware designs under an open hardware license, which means they're still under copyright.   I put the files up there for people to riff off of, not to copy wholesale.   I don't care if make a few for yourself or friends.   But if you're going to involve money, I'd ask you to create your own design. Go do something interesting.  Add something different to the world.
 Thank you.  If you change something in the schematic, you did tell it to change something. It's perfectly sensible that the board should immediately change as well.  This is why it's a problem for the same operation to be in four different places. It is especially bad when each of the places is an incomplete replacement for the other, so that they're not interchangeable. "Well, if you want to change the footprint in Case A, you want to do it over here, but in Case B you...
Someone recently emailed me a set of questions that are way too open-ended and general for private email. I prefer that such answers go to public places so that more than one person gets to learn the answers, and others can chime in with their own thoughts. I'm putting this here because the person who asked came to me from Head-Fi as a result of another recent set of posts here. I'll let that person remain anonymous, since they did not intend for their questions to become...