Posts by Lee Brindley

Hi - i'm selling my beloved AKG 701. I bought them 8 months ago from another head-fier who bought them from MoonAudio. Headphones are recabled from MoonAudio with Silver Dragon 10 feet cable, ended in balanced XLR Neutrik HD. Also i include an adaptor from XLR to 1/4" TRS to be able to use them in unbalanced systems. Headphones are burned with monitor for 700 hours and have another 350 hours of usage. They are like mint condition, always non-smoking environment, no...
Hi - i hear what you say ! But as i have all the mechanical know-how of a slug - even when i removed the plug - still cant see the wires as they appear to be set or glued into the upper part of the plug where they are soldered! For final ref - here is the entire email i received from Steve, including the Headroom comments - and Steve's follow up to me. I am but the messenger! Rgds Lee Hi Lee, Sorry for the delay. If you post on head-fi, maybe copy the whole email I...
Hi Lee, Sorry for the delay. If you post on head-fi, maybe copy the whole email I sent you explaining the situation so it is clear for anyone involved that it was Headroom who gave incorrect info on the pin configuration of their amp, against what I had expected the configuration to be. I knew this was different to what most people do, but followed their instructions. The headphones worked anyway with one of their amps which Damian had and after the second email from...
Ive no idea - im no technical expert. All i know is that they ARE wired incorrectly and wont work with the Max Bal amp. How they managed to work with the Desktop i dont know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like i have a definite answer from Steve who re-wired. Wrong wires to wrong pins! Going back to be re-done. Big thanks to Steve, Damian, Tyll and all who contributed here. Will rpt back when i finally get them into my HR Max Bal. :-) Lee
Hi Tyll Perhaps i should have added - im not cross in any way - just pleased i got an answer to the problem. It was driving me mad and i thought all sorts - including my own sanity! The cans will be going back to Steve to be re-wired properly so no harm done really. Whilst posting, i should add that ive had a long association with your amps and the upgrade form the Desktop Bal (ive had all the lower ones too) up to the Max Bal is well worth it. I know you dont make it...
Tyll HR gave wrong info to the re-cabler! See below............ Hey Steve, I am so sorry but I gave you the WRONG pin-out for the balanced wiring! Here is the correct info for a balanced headphone. 3 - o 2 + 1-shield or n/c o o I am so sorry I hope this didn’t screw anything up. L I had pins 3 and 1 correct on my cheat sheet, but when I tried to be all fancy with my drawing I screwed it up. If...
Alberto is a great chap to deal with - very straight and trustworthy. I bought my AKG701's from him and they were shipped from Spain to the UK. Highly recommended!
Hi Tyll Over here: - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pro...4/#post6079335 HF-er suggested i mention to you. My troublesome balanced Denon cans worked fine in balanced mode with my old HR Desktop Balanced amp - then i sold it and used a Woo amp with 1/4" adaptor that came with the Denons. I now have a HR Balanced Max. and when connecting up in balanced mode they dont work - whereas my AKG701's Balanced work fine. Chatter seems to look to the Denons as...
Opening the plugs on the Denon is easy enough but the wiring seems to be stuck or glued in the end of the XLR plug - not sure how to get it out ! I did email Steven Kelby - who did the work with the Denons / Jena wire and XLR plugs in the first place- but he has remained silent. Seems odd that these cans worked fine on a HR desktop balanced yet dont work on the HR Bal Max - both via the XLR sockets... Maybe i will mail Tyll see what he says about differences in...