Posts by s1rrah

Being a subjective term ... 2 years is about as long as I personally want to keep a rig around ... money allowing of course. Some times I'll stretch it to 3 years before I upgrade (ACK!!!!) ... Otherwise, I don't get phone calls so I'm still using a Samsung Note ver. 1 ... which works fine as a router, still ... (main use of my phone) ...  ;-)
 You are so right .. lol .. and I'll be dropping major coin in prep for it too if I can't max things at 16K resolution or whatever we're at then. ;-) Can't wait for that game. Love space sims.  I played the hell out of the Freespace games .. both Freespace 1 and Freespace 2 ... and still *do* play Freespace 2 quite a bit ... There's a rad ass modders/coding project that's grown up around Freespace 2 and they've done some incredible work in regards to texture upgrades and...
 I am future proof with two 980's ... At least for the next 1.5 to 2 years .. Just like I told myself when I bought my two 670's that I'm replacing ... just about two years ago or so ...  True enough ... BTW: canceled my newegg order and bought them local  here in Houston at Microcenter. Got the last two ...  ;-) ... 
 It's those last possibilities you mention that had me hesitating on the two 980's I bought ... thinking I could wait another few months to see what's gonna be released ... 980ti ... 990 ... etc ... but I've already waited so long I figured to just buy 'em and clock em as high as I can ... I really only have to push 1440p, anyway and don't plan on going 4K any time soon. They're EVGA cards too so if anything crazy happens in the next 3 months, there's always the Step Up...
 Its really not that great of a chip ... I think I'm needing something like 1.47v to be stable at that 5ghz overclock. My first 2700K did 5ghz at 1.36v or so but I took it back cause I thought a build issue I was having was the chip but it turned out to be the MB and I had already exchanged that first sweet chip. LOL ... I hurt over that for weeks! Not sure on Oculus ... I've never been to big on 3D or VR stuff ... might try it, though. Just stoked my 1440p monitor will be...
 Just an H100 lapped and with a high pressure mount ... 5ghz on 2600/2700K's is fairly easy/common place ... even with certain air coolers ... Been solid for nearly 3 years now but truth be told I run an offset overclock so the system is constantly cycling between 1.6ghz and 5.0ghz depending on load and the voltage is adjusted accordingly ...  An old pic showing the bolt thru mod on the h100: 
 I couldn't resist ... Just this morning bought two of the 980 "superclocked" reference cards from NewEgg ... Bye bye SLI 670's ... hello SLI 980's ...  Going to be adding them to my existing 3 year old 2700K (5ghz) system but will be building new system around these cards (most likely X99) in the next four months or so ... Hot diggity...
 If your power supply is round and wrapped with black tape then you have the upgraded power supply ... It will look like the power supply in the upper left of the image here: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/assets/2007/2/18/DSC_0004.jpg
I found AC power cable changes to make very little sonic differences with the  Raptor as well ... certain cables, like a  Black Sands Violet that I had made a dramatic difference when used with my DAC but with the Raptor I could tell very little difference among power cables ... I suspect it has to do with the external power supply ...   BTW: for a neat example of how the Raptor handles it's power provision, ... start some music and while the music is playing (don't take...
 Indeed ... no worries. Tubes coming your way a bit after the holiday weekend. Enjoy!