Posts by s1rrah

I love the WE396A in the Pagoda but found it a bit to "sluggish" for the Havana/Stockholm DACS ... regarding your listen ... if you can, find a "JW" branded WE396A then I encourage you to try this variant as these are the few that were specified as expressly for military grade usage ... I've owned both and found the JW to be a more refined listen ... I listen only through headphones, BTW ... Grado PS1000's ... which are known not only for a slight mid bass hump but also...
Passengers - 5/10   ...   Based loosely on the same concept far better explored in the Coyote novel series ... but other than that a predictable SciFi/Romantic mess ... yet with unbelievably good CGI.  If you have a good TV and enjoy analyzing the quality of CGI ... like me ... then it's totally enjoyable as eye candy alone.  So in that regard, I recommend it.  And if you like 3D and have a TV that can do it well ... ?? ... you'll like it even more.  
 Just to chime in a bit here ... Eric .. I think you would find the Bendix 6385 to be nearly identical in regards to sonics as the Bendix 2C51 ... *very* similar sounding tubes with perhaps even more air/clarity with the 6385 ... both Bendix tubes being absolutely phenomenal with the somewhat darker sounding Havana and Stockholm DACs (both of which I've owned in the past) ... but to my ear, a bit too sharp/thin when used with the more detailed, Pagoda DAC (which I...
 Perfect. Thanks ... joel
 Excellent post, Phil ... great info and nicely presented.  I'll eventually be investigating some tube conversion options ... Edit: just ordered the adapter you linked to.  Do you have any suggestions for good but relatively affordable 6922, e88cc/ecc88 tube(s) to try? Thanks,joel  Joel
Just a heads up to anybody who needs a new cable for their SE535's ...    I've been through two sets of the stock Shure cables and they've been great but they eventually break around the ear loop portion of the cable ... and because I needed one rather quickly this week, I ordered a random "silver plated" cable from Amazon ... the Tennmak MMCX ... and it's pretty nice ... I'd like to say something about the sound but I just can't ... it just sounds really good...
 I'm real curious to be honest (re: Ossic) ... And certainly no scorn on my part re: the GSX 1000 ... it's just not the "game changer" I've been looking for in regards to Surround Headphones for a long time now.  Simply not worth the money over software based solutions which sound almost as good and that can be had for $30 bucks. GSX 1000 is a lovely bit of design work, though ... I was tempted to keep it for that reason alone ... but $230 bucks man ... just couldn't trick...
I've been listening to the GSX 1000 most of this week, strictly in regards to gaming.  I like it.  With decent open headphones, the 7.1 emulation is fairly remarkable (I've mostly used Koss Porta pros and they are outstanding with the GSX 1000).  With closed cans (Bose Triports), the 7.1 "effect" is drastically diminished.  I can't comment towards the GSX 1000's use as a 2.1 music listening device as I simply have no interest in that usage scenario.  But the fact remains,...
Just ordered a GSX1000 to test out for a couple weeks ... if it blows me away, I'll keep it.     I'm coming from using Bose Triports with the Razor Synapse Surround software ... I enjoy this current set up quite a bit ... the somewhat aged Bose Triports are actually super good gaming headphones I've found ... not so great critical listening but superb gaming cans and also very nice for movies ... for closed cans, they have a pretty remarkable sound stage ... I'll be...
I'm going to get one of these to try out ... question, though ... what's the difference between 1000 and 1200 Pro ... is it simply the ability of the 1200 to be linked together?  If so, then I don't need that at all ...   ???