Posts by applaudio

I use a pair of modded Yuin PK3's (which I bought on eBay for $20) plugged into my Nexus 4 for casual and mobile listening, largely done through Rdio. When I want to settle in and really lose myself in some outstanding music, I pop a CD (just bought Ludovico Einaudi's Divenire, and it's... sublime!) into my old Panasonic portable CD player, which feeds via line out, through a JDS Labs Objective 2, my beloved HiFiMAN HE-400. And there you have it: two paths to musical bliss...
2001: A Space Odyssey Rating: 4.5/5 One of the most breathtakingly beautiful movies ever put to film, and among the most intellectually resonant, 2001 is one of the essential cinematic experiences for any fan of science fiction or great filmmaking in general. A far cry from the CGI-loaded action fantasy flicks that unfortunately qualify as sci-fi today, 2001 explores plausible future technologies and (as far as possible given the technology and techniques of the day,...
Metric - Fantasies Metric - Synthetica Alt-J - An Awesome Wave Can't think of any others right now.
I had the pukes, and thus nothing better to do than watch a long movie and try not to think about hurling supper to the walls. I chose The Godfather, Part II, having recently seen and quite liked the first. I think Part II is even better. I won't go into details (I'm not reviewing the film, I'm rating it), but suffice it to say they don't make 'em like this anymore. 5/5 stars. Prior to this, my last movie was Elysium. Ugh.
You know you're an audiophile when you're a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction. So says dictionary.com. You see? It's a lot simpler than we were making it. When in doubt, ask the experts. (End of thread.)
You know you're an audiophile when your haircut is based upon getting the optimal fit and seal with your full-size cans. Think medium-length hair, but with the area around the ears shaved down to the scalp. This could happen to you.
YKYAAW you get anxious in high-noise environments, because loud noises make you worry for your audio investment. "These idiot fans are going to ruin my hearing, and after I just bought HE-400's! All that money, down the drain!" YKYAAW you get ticked when people claim there's no audible difference between 128 kbps mp3 and lossless. YKYAAW you are scorned by coworkers for your "sensitive, super-hearing ears." YKYAAW you pass a stranger wearing AKG's and feel like...
I require payment in advance. My rate is $200 per stanza. Note that the poem may consist of as few as three words repeated over and over again. Stop laughing, it's modern.
Well, let's hope for my wallet's sake that the rabbit hole ends here.
A week ago, I received my first ever pair of audiophile headphones, purchased from fellow Head-Fier mvrk10256. (Thanks, mvrk!) They are, of course, the HiFiMAN HE-400. I suppose it's strangely appropriate that I am running the HE-400 (a comparatively inexpensive planar magnetic) from a very budget-oriented setup. I'm all about bang-for-buck. An old portable CD player, the Panasonic SL-SX469V that I've had since I was, oh, ten years old, feeds via line out a JDS Labs...