Posts by DavidMahler

Thanks! It truly depends on what I want from the headphone.  I believe the Manley Neo Classic 300b is the overall winner for me because of how it softens the sound and adds a sense of roundness without blurring the qualities that make the headphone standout to me.  However, the Phonitor/Auditor, the TTVJ 307a, the Apex Pinnacle, the Donald North Stratus, the RSA B52, and a few DIY amps (namely NikonGod's) have really impressed me.  I think the Neo Classic 300b though is a...
That is heavy! Though for me grip is always more the comfort issue than heaviness. haha put the alert before the joke next time :) I quoted MH below because I agree with his assessment.  It's spot on.  The difference is not nearly as noticeable as the 32ohm versus the 250 ohm.  There is a bit more treble-unnaturalness, but it may be worth the trade off if your amp is not suited for the 600 ohms. I agree with this Hahaha!!! That made me laugh!  Thanks Jonathan! I'm glad...
Hey there Largo, since we have been conversing via PM I won't respond to this here, but I wanted you to know I saw your inquiry. :) I believe I heard the K601 years ago and I haven't heard the K612.  I don't really know for certain how it compares.  I think the real attraction with the DT660 is that because of its closed nature (and decent isolating grip) it offers a distinct advantage over many other headphones for the classical listener. Hmm, that's a great question.  I...
Wonderful post Joel!!!  Fantastic work, and I really appreciate the effort! Interesting to note that the LCD-3 wins grand prize as heaviest headphone in my collection.  Makes a lot of sense:)
perhaps! Thank you:) I think for $350 they're a better value, but I still would take the Westone 4 over all.  It remains my favorite universal I've tried. I have been in the works of adding the HE60s to my review for some time now.  I've been so busy with other avenues of my life that I keep neglecting to have it included.  I also have a Hifiman addition in the works.  I haven't yet considered the TH600, but its an interesting concept. I once almost pulled the trigger on...
A lot of people have asked for me to include the Paradox and Mad Dog.  I have been eyeing Alpha Dog, but I don't know that I will include it as I am hopefully going to wrap up this thread (and my wallet) shortly.   What I was thinking of doing is creating an offshoot thread which will be a counterpart to this one, where I will right brief impressions on headphones that I audition at meets and such.
I don't believe that I have heard the K550 so I can't comment on this, but I think based on what I've read that they are in a similar class though different sounding.
I may opt for the DT660 going portably because of the isolation! :)
The LCD-2 Rev. 1 is still a wonderful headphone:)   Thanks!! I haven't seen others quote me verbatim, but thanks for noticing if they have:)  I like the TH-900 a lot.  I didn't view my ranking as a poor one, though I can understand based on the pricepoint, it can be viewed as such.   Thanks!! Yes, maybe I should reform my value rating.  I will consider this!:) That's an interesting point to take away.  I will be reforming some of the review on the HE-6, now owning the...
Hopefully i will get to everyones questions in the past few days:)...     I probably won't be adding this to the evaluation, but i would consider it. At this point I would probably need to sell off gear to fit new gear.  I am out space and close to out of $ :) The Momentums and HE400 are such different headphones.  The Momentums are a travel partner and sound great (IMO) for casual smart phone listening.  When I was sent a demo pair from Sennheiser I was really impressed...