Posts by ADD

I was actually disappointed when I first got my TH600 home. I had spent most of the day listening to the very pair I took home with me, but there was a definite drop in quality when I connected it to my home setup and listened to exactly the same material I had at the shop. It made me realise that this headphone really needs top notch amplification and preferably with output impedance and input sensitivity switching - the amp in the shop was about twice as expensive as my...
 Yes, I'm a solid state fan as well, especially with the TH600. I'm using mine with a Musical Fidelity M1 HPAP headphone amp and sonically it synergises beautifully with it considering the whole thing is really just a budget priced setup in terms of what is around these days. The typical warm but clear and detailed Musical Fidelity house sound works very well with the upper midrange and top end of the TH600 but at the slight cost of pace, rhythm and timing (something...
Well further to my last post and things are more positive, but still, these Rega players really are incredibly finicky. It was suggested to me that I try using a Blu-ray burner for burning CD-Rs and all of the current Pioneer models (to my knowledge) permit slow burning at 4x with any suitable blank CD-R. Since I already have a Pioneer Blu-ray burner I've tried burning a number of test disks and sure enough I have not had any significant issues with CD-R playback with the...
Well I was impressed with the Sennheiser amp at any rate. I can't say I have heard that many high quality headphone amps but that one seemed to do everything well. It might not have had an ultimate sense of scale like my Musical Fidelity M1 but I think a lot of that was related to the source. Despite using the digital output of the FiiO I just don't think a portable player like that can really compare to a high quality desktop source like a Rega CD player. Still, I am...
I think the soundstaging of the Oppo phones is slightly superior and they do extremely well with that "layering" effect you mentioned, but I think it would need very open, detailed solid state amplification to achieve that (the Oppo and TH600 really seemed to like the Sennheiser DAC/AMP which I would describe as very neutral, detailed and fast). But I really think in the end it comes down to synergy. There is no way I'd be pairing, for example, the Oppo with a dark, warm...
Absolutely heaps over an intense session lasting over much of a working day. From memory (I may have forgotten some) and in no particular order:  HD700HD800TH900Oppo PM-1 (superb, brilliant but simply did not have the treble presence I wanted)Oppo PM-2 (as above - if anything I preferred it for some strange reason - maybe I just thought the price / performance ratio was better)AKG K812 (yes, this was the best headphone I have ever heard but out of my budget range...
After incredibly exhaustive testing of many headphones I bought a pair of these about 6 weeks ago. I very rarely buy new headphones - up until 6 weeks ago I'd continually stuck with my PXC300 from 2008. I still use those for my computer. Anyway, I can't ever see myself changing headphones now. The TH600 are superb with classical and to be honest I would not even know these were a closed design. Comfort is superb and build quality appears to be a step up from anything I...
Bumping a very long running thread but it's timely for potential (and existing) Rega CDP owners to consider the ramifications of the CD-R market - both in terms of available blank media and burners. I've mucked with several of the Rega players and also own a couple of the Apollo-R models. And they have all been incredibly finicky without exception -  not only as regards the burn speed (8x maximum as mentioned in the owner's manuals and also previously in this thread though...
I am not writing this for advice. It is because I really have to vent. I am explosive with annoyance if there is such an emotion as that!   A brief history: Over the last few years I have gradually put together a really decent headphone rig. Not an expensive one, but not a cheap one either. It's a fairly solid, middle of the road setup that I think most people would appreciate. It's a Rega Apollo-R CD player as the source, a Musical Fidelity M1 headphone amp and my...
Hi Rob, I had a chance to spend a few weeks in 2013 with an HD600 against my PXC300 (my favourite headphone of the last 6 years). This is in my main headphone system that currently comprises of a Rega Apollo-R CD player, Musical Fidelity HPA1 headphone amp and with an Audioquest Yosemite interconnect in between. I was expecting the HD600 to be significantly better for classical but was quite taken back to find the opposite (especially since my memories of the much older...