Posts by fufula

Some people can't hear the difference between onboard and ST/STX, some people can't hear the white noise/hiss at 44.1KHz through headphone out... I assure you, there were no mistakes made during the installation or setup of the card with either of the hardware configurations I used it with. I use it, but I'm not blind to any of its flaws; was never much of a fanboi of anything...     What's the point of this thread anyway? Just as with every other piece of equipment...
Quote: Originally Posted by Uhtred  The only problem I did experience in my brief testing was that every so often, and really in the menu, there is a bit of crackling in Crysis. I did not experience this at all in the other two games I tested.   (...) I am thinking of tweaking the bass a bit as I like some bass.  I played Crysis 2 and I don't recall hearing any crackling in the menu, although I remember that the sound effect when moving between...
    I wouldn't worry that much about any headphones considered decent and recommended on this forum to be inadequate for gaming. I've had the chance to play with a few gaming headsets myself (Steelseries Sibierias for example, I used to review this sort of stuff as well as play competitively), and to me, most of them are just overpriced, low quality (both SQ-wise and build-wise) headphones marketed to people who don't really have much clue about either gaming or sound....
I'm using the unofficial UNi Xonar v1.31 driver (low-DPC latency mode,) which is based on 7.12.8.1793s. What else were you running in the background (or foreground)? Maybe it's some application conflicting with Ventrilo.   I had some other issues with Ventrilo before. For example, with some older driver sets, opening the Ventrilo setup would result in the card switching outputs (from RCA back to headphone) or the recording input settings in Windows... It's also...
I don't think that's what he's talking about. It happened to me once when using Ventrilo and it actually sounded like a beep, not an amp loop. It was so loud it made me jump in my chair, thankfully didn't damage my headphones. Vent wasn't being used at the time by anybody (nobody was speaking,) others in Vent heard it as well, it lasted 3-4 seconds. I know it wasn't my mic picking up the sound coming from my headphones (closed set,) it never does that, and the...
I'm not sure about the newer games, but with older FPSes like Q3, QL, ET, ETQW, FEAR etc. the sound positioning on my Creative X-Fi card with CMSS3D running was impeccable. In some games, I could easily distinguish sounds coming from above me and below me. I mainly used the card with Goldring DR150s and I was into competitive gaming back then, so accurate sound positioning was very important.     I couldn't achieve the same level of accuracy when it comes to sound...
Sorry to hear that. I'd hate to lose my collection, despite the fact that my music folder is an unholy mess that just keeps getting worse with every new album I acquire.   Disk recoveries can be quite costly. It'd be easier and cheaper to rerip the stuff you own physically, and the rest, well, you-know-what it again...
I just switched to the headphone out (lowest gain setting, 44.1KHz,) 64 Ohm PRO550s, played some music, stopped it -- the white noise is still there. I'm using the Corsair CMPSU-650TX. That's more than enough for my setup, and it's not exactly a cheap or inefficient PSU either, quite the opposite. My previous setup ran on the Tacens Valeo 480W, which was also very good and served me well.   The low quality built-in headphone amp is the problem, not our PSUs.
I'd imagine it's much easier to hear when using headphones with decent isolation, otherwise the hum coming from the PC will simply be louder than the white noise and render it inaudible.
Another thing you could try is to unpack the archive using a different program (WinRAR worked for me,) maybe even try and download it through a different browser / dl manager. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.