Posts by fufula

I don't think that's what he's talking about. It happened to me once when using Ventrilo and it actually sounded like a beep, not an amp loop. It was so loud it made me jump in my chair, thankfully didn't damage my headphones. Vent wasn't being used at the time by anybody (nobody was speaking,) others in Vent heard it as well, it lasted 3-4 seconds. I know it wasn't my mic picking up the sound coming from my headphones (closed set,) it never does that, and the...
I'm not sure about the newer games, but with older FPSes like Q3, QL, ET, ETQW, FEAR etc. the sound positioning on my Creative X-Fi card with CMSS3D running was impeccable. In some games, I could easily distinguish sounds coming from above me and below me. I mainly used the card with Goldring DR150s and I was into competitive gaming back then, so accurate sound positioning was very important.     I couldn't achieve the same level of accuracy when it comes to sound...
Sorry to hear that. I'd hate to lose my collection, despite the fact that my music folder is an unholy mess that just keeps getting worse with every new album I acquire.   Disk recoveries can be quite costly. It'd be easier and cheaper to rerip the stuff you own physically, and the rest, well, you-know-what it again...
I just switched to the headphone out (lowest gain setting, 44.1KHz,) 64 Ohm PRO550s, played some music, stopped it -- the white noise is still there. I'm using the Corsair CMPSU-650TX. That's more than enough for my setup, and it's not exactly a cheap or inefficient PSU either, quite the opposite. My previous setup ran on the Tacens Valeo 480W, which was also very good and served me well.   The low quality built-in headphone amp is the problem, not our PSUs.
I'd imagine it's much easier to hear when using headphones with decent isolation, otherwise the hum coming from the PC will simply be louder than the white noise and render it inaudible.
Another thing you could try is to unpack the archive using a different program (WinRAR worked for me,) maybe even try and download it through a different browser / dl manager. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.
Looks like a problem with your OS configuration then. I used this version on Windows XP without any problems, and now I'm using it with W7x64. I just downloaded it from Tucows again to see if it'd run and it ran fine.   Is it the executable or the archive that is corrupt? In any case, I'd try disabling any AV/HIPS apps that might might be running in the background, then redownload the file and see if there's any change.
Here you go.
I used to use v.similar settings to the ones you suggested (defaultish) for quite a long time and they sounded pretty good, just like they did now that I gave them another spin. As with every other aspect of our little hobby, there's no perfect setting for everyone, and what we believe to be the perfect head-fit configuration is very subjective, mostly due to the unique shape of everyone's ears, head etc. I'm sticking with what I posted.
There's a clear and distinct difference between every value of ITD LF and HF, although I can't say that I've noticed any difference between the three steps at any given value of ITD LF. There are even more steps for every value of ITD HF, still no audible difference, but it might be just me. My current settings: -8.7 ILD LF / -14.4 ILD HF / .32ms ITD LF / .25ms ITD HF / F central at 1771, lowered volume by 7dB. I find that these settings color the sound the least, and --...