Posts by fufula

Essence ST.
No, Dolby Headphone is not available with the line-out. You get (IIRC) Dolby Virtual Speaker instead, which works a little bit different but features the exact same amount of terrible.
Originally Posted by OneSec  This is where the fun begin - the sound is hmm... "organic". Everything seems to smooth a bit compare to LME49720, a very subjective word... "musical"? Also I hear more dynamics. My thoughts exactly. They seem a little warmer, a little less analytical sounding. Wasn't sure if it was just placebo or not. Some say that there shouldn't be any audible difference between the two. I preferred their sound to that of LME49720s,...
No amp and the onboard sound card is disabled through the bios.   There are at least two threads about this issue on the official ASUS support forums, though, as expected, no actual support has been provided so far.   http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20090222084608127&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20STX&page=1 http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110101010416253&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20ST&page=1
Bump. Any of you still experiencing this? I know it's rare, but it's been a while.   I tried several different driver versions, both unofficial and official, always making sure that the previous installed version's been purged from the system thoroughly. I'm currently using the latest stable official release, Essence ST, Windows 7 64-bit, RCA out. I also went back to my previous opamp setup, 2xLME49720 instead of 2xLME49860s.   And yet, it happened to me again...
I was curious about this so I played it on my portable player with two different sets of earphones, and yeah, it's still there. I don't think there's any pattern to it. It's the recording.
Distortion @ 0:26-0:28, 0:31, 0:35, 0:40, 0:42   uLilith/ASIO/some EQ > Essence ST > PRO550   Checked foobar w/WASAPI and no DSPs to confirm.
AllsWell, I'm using W7x64 as well. I'd try both WASAPI and ASIO (not ASIO4ALL) in a bunch of other players and see what happens. If they still don't work, it clearly means something other than foobar is at fault. I'd then try cleaning and reinstalling the sound card drivers from scratch.
I don't really use foobar, but I just tried setting up WASAPI, it worked and this is what the configuration looks like in my case:   foobar > preferences > output: WASAPI output data format: 24 bit no dither   w7 > playback devices > r.click the device you're using to output the sound and click properties > advanced tab > default format: 24 bit, 44100 Hz exclusive mode: both boxes ticked   edit: Without the "Allow applications to take exclusive...
Unless there's something I don't know, using ASIO4ALL, a WASAPI/KS wrapper, with an application that supports WASAPI/KS is kind of like kicking in an open door. It may not be the kind of solution you're looking for, but is there any reason why you can't simply use WASAPI?