Posts by fufula

Sorry to hear that, I remember how annoying that is.   There were discussion threads up on the official ASUS forums concerning this issue a long time ago. Not sure if they're still going after all these years. Last I checked, there was no official word on how to fix it.   It's possible that this might not be a driver or even chip specific problem though and something else is at fault here (some mobo/soundcard incompatibility, software configuration). I've seen...
 That's probably it. Unless you did the tests expecting jriver to sound better and it's just placebo. From what I've read, dsound should sound just like WASAPI/ASIO if no streams are being mixed, but that's just theory.
Standard quality is 128kbps. What software are you comparing it against? What settings?   Also, regarding the non-HQ with HQ enabled issue: when testing the bitrate on my PC, I used the method of measuring the amount of data downloaded and converting it to the appropriate units. I made sure to disable any auto-updates and/or apps that could interfere with the measurements beforehand. At the time of testing I didn't encounter any music encoded at 160kbps, which, of...
 Save for some freak occurences during the encoding process which would either be clearly audible (as in, clear noise) or render the file unplayable, no. The ripping itself is the only thing that could negatively impact the quality of the rip. FLAC is just as good as its source.
It hasn't happened in over a year. I only recently made some changes to my setup (GFX card, SSD drive) and reinstalled Windows, but even long before that the problem was gone. That and I'm pretty sure I used Opera back when it last occured, whereas now I use Palemoon. Incidentally, I haven't been using my headphones at home much lately (been always using RCA though), so even if the problem did occur again I guess it wouldn't bother me that much...   I wish I could be of...
Not sure if this is public knowledge or not, but I just found out WiMP streams lossless music. The service is currently only available in some European countries, namely Denmark, Germany, Norway, Poland and Sweden. The HiFi offer is double the price of their Premium (320kbps) subscription.   It largely depends on what kind of music you listen to, so it's best to see for yourself, but from my point of view, the library is a little lacking compared to Spotify. From what...
I did blind tests. I also asked other people what they thought and they confirmed what I thought (without me telling them which one *should* sound better or anything like that of course.)   320kbps Spotify streams sound better than 128kbps Deezer ones, not that I'm discovering America here (the thing that surprised me was that so much stuff from Deezer was streamed at 128kbps; Rdio streams at 192kbps and they've been getting a lot of flak for that.) Let's say it's an...
 I did a lot more A/B testing with Deezer HQ/Spotify HQ (and / foobar FLAC for good measure) using well recorded music. Spotify always came out on top when Deezer streamed at 128kbps (even though it was set to HQ streaming the entire time) and it wasn't really discernible when it streamed at 320. So, to answer my own question, it was the former. It seems Deezer encodes the less popular stuff at 128kbps hoping people won't notice to preserve bandwidth. So the "up to...
To me, even between 160kbps and 128kbps the difference is easily discernible, with the former sounding better. Deeper soundstage, more space between instruments, punchier bass and the highs aren't as garbled. Then again, it's hardware and OS dependent. Not to mention the sound coming out of my phone ain't nothing to write home about, and that's putting it lightly.   I did some more tests with the desktop players, as that's what I'm mostly interested in.   I measured...
Hi there, were you using a dedicated app on your Note 2? If so, what's the bitrate in it? It's only 128kbps in the Windows Phone app vs 96/160kbps (the latter is optional) in the Spotify app.   As for desktop, are you talking about web players or were you using the Spotify desktop client? If so, did you enable high quality streaming and disable normalization and hardware acceleration?   There's also WiMP and MOG that offer 320kbps streaming if you want to test even...