Posts by Tassie Devil

Yes, that is the problem, what you mean by lush might not be what I understand. As for the cables, I've missed discussion on that and have had no problems with any of them from anywhere on any can, and that includes some "home made" ones.  Cabling is not expensive or hard to replace with the 400S.  And BTW I did set up cabling for balanced use with the 400S on my top rig but the AQ was disappointing when compared to the 800s & 800S. Bottom line is that for their money they...
Not sure how to answer your question as none of the headphones here (598, 650, 800, 800S, 400S) sound "lush".  Reaction to AQ is just so subjective there is no clear choice what any particular person should have.   My personal preference is to use the 800S for serious classical music listening but for portable, casual use, all the cans here are fine.
You can get better sound BUT that sheets back to the AQ of the input.  At aged 81 my hearing is not as acute as most of you here, but I definitely can detect better AQ from the Sennheiser HS800S headphones than from the Hi-Fi 400S units. Please note that I'm not trying to criticise the 400S headphones.  For their price they are a bargain, but like most things audio, it costs a lot more for improvement and the AQ is not 2X as good for 2X the price. Bottom line is that...
Yes I have (with a Fiio Mont Blanc) but the exercise achieved nix.  IMHO if your MP3 player has enough output to drive the phones then there is no point in having extra junk to carry around and control.  Unless there are really odd compatibility issues (highly unlikely) or not enough volume, an amplifier is a waste of time. money and space.  Generally there is absolutely no way it can improve audio quality.  Indeed the best amplifiers religiously output what goes in...
Well done.  You will not regret your purchase.
Not trying to raise a storm but I'm surprised an amp is needed as my ZX100 has enough grunt to even drive a pair of Sennheiser 800s.  Some time ago I purchased a Fiio Mont Blanc12EA but find no use for it and was seduced into trying a Headstage but gave up on it.  As I posted some time ago about the only reason I see for an amp is lack of grunt for the headphones and, in that situation would opt to spend money on more sensitive cans.  IMHO the ZX100 is big enough without...
I suppose an Android interface is more useful for those who want to download direct via an APP but personally that is no interest to me.  I dislike Android interfaces and much prefer the button control of the NWZ A17/25 & ZX100 as for me (clumsy fingers) they work more positively and do not drain the battery unnecessarily. That said, the touted 30 hour battery life for the 2017 units is impressive. Bottom line is I wonder if I could ever detect any improvement in AQ of...
Looking at the 2017 SONY releases I see no burning reason to move from the ZX100.   Question:  Has anyone tried out a 512GB card?  Maybe not worth the cost (and slow wait for loading) but I would be interested to know if anyone has bothered to try a larger card.   TIA   John
My 2c on all of this.   I own the HiFiman 400S and prefer it to the Sennie 650 & 598 BUT not to the HD800, which I've adapted cords to use for portable playback (Sony SA100, SA17 & SA25).  So I strongly disagree with an earlier comment the HiFiMan 400S is ther best unit under $2500.   That said there may be compatibility issues which steer others to feel differently and a major one for me is quality of input.  Some headphones might react adversely to faulty input while...
I'm guessing only Sony could help as it is a rare part that few (and you might be the only one)  A15 owners ever need. In your position I would hunt for a second hand A25 - they sell here for half the new price and most are as good as new, probably no more than Sony would charge for a repair, even if they would do it.  You might get a few dollars from someone for your A15 as 16GB does hold a lot of files in MP3 format.