Posts by Tassie Devil

Yes, I forgot to add that social drink into the mix which can end up sending the listener to sleep!!!  But at least with the Focals, it should be as pure a sleep as is possible.
By LOL, I was not meaning what you said should not be taken seriously.   It is the most overlooked aspect of this audio pursuit. There are so many personal variables involved in listening to music.  Here are a few obvious ones that come to mind: 1. The state of one's hearing - at 81, mine is not so great2. Health.  Even slight maladies can affect judgement and enjoyment of music.3. Degree of tiredness4. Biorhythms - no longer "fashionable" to discuss but I find their...
LOL.  Very perceptive comment that certainly applies to me!!!!
Your comment about Technics components underlines the traps of reviewing:* reactions to a component are dependent of personal experience and taste* they also depend on the synergy with other items in the audio chain.The upshot of the above two is that opinions will vary and no one opinion is either right or wrong, it is just a personal opinion. On the various systems the Focals reproduce, here is mine: Roon (mostly) FLAC  files -> Auriac Aries -> balanced digital feed ->...
Good review.  And they emphasise that the input must be top class and make the relevant comment:   "Some people will never be able get past the Utopia’s price, but if you can, it doesn’t take long to realise they’re among the very best sounding headphones that money can buy." Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/focal/utopia/review#3zdy8x40ZABtAkGX.99   Note they are sensibly not claiming the Utopias are THE BEST.  What is best for one person might not be for...
I put up a post elsewhere about the newly arrived Focal Utopia here but cannot see where it went so will add a couple of points here.   I also own both the HD800 and HD800S and can listen to all of them from the balanced output of a HeadRoom Blockhead amplifier.   Comparing the HD800 and HD800S is relatively easy with the HD800S coming out as slightly better.  But changing over to the Focals is much more challenging as they are much more sensitive in the system here....
Before I comment on them, some caveats: 1. I'll be 82 later in the year and my hearing has deteriorated BUT I can still tell the difference between good and bad audio in the vital midrange and in the bass - high end treble is no longer appreciated. The hearing problem means music is no longer appreciated via speakers so headphone listening is the priority. 2. My taste is basically for classical music with appreciation these days more on Chamber, Baroque and Early and...
OK, looks good.   Send me an invoice on PayPal.   My registration is xxxxxxxxxx [see PM]   I can then pay that invoice.   TIA   John
OK, I'm a serious buyer.   What would be the extra cost to send them to Australia?   So, feed me back your all up cost and I'll see if we can do business.  I was just prepared to buy new here but could be tempted away to yours.   Regards   John
Yes, that is the problem, what you mean by lush might not be what I understand. As for the cables, I've missed discussion on that and have had no problems with any of them from anywhere on any can, and that includes some "home made" ones.  Cabling is not expensive or hard to replace with the 400S.  And BTW I did set up cabling for balanced use with the 400S on my top rig but the AQ was disappointing when compared to the 800s & 800S. Bottom line is that for their money they...