or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

Yes, my pursuit is getting pretty crazy, but I like how zachO has described the Sparkos, so I just have to try it. I paid $150, before shipping, to get a pair of JRC Muses 02, from a reliable source (mouser.com), was not impressed and did not get any takers after trying to sell the pair for $75 across many weeks of posting the ad. So, I was reluctant to pull the trigger on the Sparkos, but zachO's testimony isn't the first I've read, praising them. I'm also motivated by...
 With this damage occurring in only a minute of use, I think it's safe to say that this was a "lemon" or, perhaps, a "habanero."  It evidences an absence of quality control, that it could leave the factory unable to operate for even 60 seconds.  See zachO's clarification in his post, below. In my limited experience, only one out of four Burson V5 Duals delivered to me has actually arrived without defects. A 75% failure rate, new in the box, combined with great customer...
   Yes, I was talking about adding small heatsinks to these original, red plastic, V5 cases (which are more like heat traps than heat sinks): Photo by monoxyde1234 Mike
I'm still enjoying my V5 Duals in a portable amp, leaving the lid off simply because the V5s are too tall to put the lid back on, but from everything I've heard to date, I think Burson's use of an injectable foam material, surrounding all of the discrete components, in combination with a solid plastic shell, traps all the heat that's generated within.  When the air temperature inside an amp's closed case is greater than ? degrees, the V5 overheats, the sound quality begins...
 Do you use them with the H10 case closed or with the lid off?
 It looks like good design (from what little I know,) not having any DIY skills.  "You didn't build that!"  
 I think we will see much less unanimity of consensus from buyers of the Ultra-Cap LPS-1 vs. what we've seen with the USB Regen. Uptone Audio selected one of the quietest, low-ripple, SMPS supplies they could find to ship with the USB Regen, but it's not as quiet as many other solutions that people have tried, including battery packs and various mid- to high-end LPSs, including the Uptone Audio JS-2. (Yes, some people are powering the $175 USB Regen with a $995 LPS.) So,...
   Having never used the HA-200 in the dual monoblock configuration, I nevertheless concur with everything you are saying here, as it relates to the HD800.  I actually ordered two HA-200s at the same time, leaving one of them unopened, only to sell it it in that condition, later, new in the box.  Call me cheap, but I was so very impressed with how well a single HA-200 performed with the HD800 and so discouraged (call me lazy) by the prospect of ordering custom cables for a...
  For $27 plus shipping costs, you could start by just setting two of these 300mm x 120mm aluminum heat sinks on top of the H10 case, side by side - without attaching them or using any thermal cement:   http://www.lck-led.com/aluminum-heatsink-15x3w-40x1w-300x120x20mm-black-p-946.html You would be surprised how effective this can be. I routinely use a small heat sink placed underneath my CEntrance DACport - which can get quite warm, running in Class A.    You would think...
 Wow!  The DACmini CX is standing proud in that rig!   I don't know what kind of amp or speakers you have - they're beautiful - but I also love the fact that you are using Tidal HiFi > iDevice > CCK as your source.  I've been doing this myself ever since Tidal HiFi was first offered and I love how "silent" the iDevices can be when a USB signal is pulled from them this way - compared to power-noisy laptops and PCs.   Another plus with the DACmini CX is that it supplies its...