or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

I really like the points that CoLdAsSauLt makes at the link he provided. Here's my take (which is probably the thread to which we should take this discussion):   http://www.head-fi.org/t/260346/ignorance-cure-needed-balanced-vs-unbalanced#post_11558111
Well, This is where I'm not so confident in making a recommendation, as I'm still hunting for the ideal DAC, but I'm confined by my self-imposed rule of never spending more than $1000 per desktop component, including DACs, amps, and headphones (new or used, before tax and shipping).  Still, that's a lot of money, as I have too many other hobbies where $1000 can go a long way, so like you, if I can build a system with less expensive components to get just as much enjoyment,...
    Putting falsehoods to death!
I had selected the HA-200 as a replacement for the amp in my Oppo HA-1 - exclusively for use with the HD800 - having previously bypassed the Oppo HA-1's ESS9018 DAC with the NOS Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII DAC. This was my desktop configuration, back then:   Note that only the HD800 was driven by the NuForce HA-200, which I much preferred to the HA-1's amp section, despite my preference for using the HA-1's amp with the power-hungry LCD-2.   The NuForce HA-200 sat above...
Since Lieven wasn't able to test this for his review, I'll add, having not used the Quickstep myself, but rather, the Stepdance - which also has the ability to operate at swing voltages as high as +/- 15V when using an external power supply - that the bass control and dynamics are just fine, as powered by an internal 9V battery, when using most headphones (and certainly with IEMs), but if you are using less efficient headphones, like the Audeze LCD-2, bass control is...
 For sure!  I don't have any prejudice against IC op-amps. Fully discrete designs don't necessarily outperform designs using ICs.
Read the first few posts in this Gearslutz thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/459520-discreet-amplifier-definition.html Quoting the 6th post:  So, when you replace the IC op-amps that ship with the Gustard H10, with op-amps made using discrete components (i.e. Burson V5 op-amps), the H10 then becomes a "discrete" amplifier.
  Sheesh!  LOL - I've never noticed that!   Well, I guess the thread's OP needs to tell us where he got that title.
  The problem is that many of us cannot completely turn off our subjectivity to become purely objective - as Einstein no doubt could.   You've always struck me as being hugely intuitive and imaginative, yet capable of shutting that down on demand. I'm putting you on the spot, here, but you are one of a handful of reviewers I've come to trust - because even when your tests follow mine, we are in agreement. When I cannot hear an improvement that you can hear, as is the case...
 I don't understand how the H10 could be described as having "discrete architecture" when it uses IC op-amps. Where have you seen it written that the H-10 is "a 'discrete' amplifier?" The Burson Soloist is an example of a discrete design.  I don't know what those ICs do, as seen in this photo, but there aren't any IC op-amps in the signal path:  [[SPOILER]]