or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

You've done a lot of trailblazing, thanks!   I guess we shouldn't be surprised that cable-free connections between your Source > USB Regen > DAC have yielded the best audible performance. For logistical reasons, the shortest connection I can have between my source and the USB Regen is about 25 inches, which is covered very nicely by the 28-inch (0.7 meter) Supra cable you've mentioned. Thanks! Mike
Yes!The FiiO X5's PCM1792A DAC is my favorite oversampling DAC.I prefer it to the OPPO HA-1's ESS9018 and the proprietary DACs in my CEntrance DACMini CX and DACport LX.The only DAC I have that beats the X5's DAC is my NOS Metrum Acoustics Octave MKII.FiiO X5 Line Out > 15VDC-powered Meier Audio Stepdance > HD800(At a B&B in Charleston, SC) [[SPOILER]] Mike
 Awesome photo!   
 Hey Sam! Yes, the speed which stuff sells on eBay vs. here, might be an indicator of just how much larger the headphone market is than the number of active Head-Fi members. Posting a classified here at Head-Fi surely beats trying to sell our stuff at a yard sale, but eBay sales tell me there are a lot of headphone enthusiasts out there who aren't aware of Head-Fi.  I'm just conjecturing, of course.  Mike
 Yes, there are a lot of very expensive headphone amps out there that only offer unbalanced TRS jacks and they're being enjoyed by some very experienced people with some expensive headphones.  I personally view balanced connections as valid primarily when using an amp that will provide more power by going to a balanced 4-pin XLR, on the HA-1 for example - but even then, only if the headphone is sufficiently inefficient to actually scale to the additional power.  The OPPO...
 Nice! I see some track lighting in your future (above the rack).   
OPPO has tested and approved a $25 custom cable for use between the Sony NWZ-A17 and the OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/1440#post_11669730     Mike
 This is still great news for OPPO HA-2 and Sony Walkman owners who can get this cable shipped to their location. With qsk78 having done a lot of the trailblazing with different digital cables, HA-2 owners finally have an OPPO-tested, $25 alternative to using the bulky and expensive Sony WMC-NWH10 in combination with a USB A to USB Micro B cable: Source:...
I think ClieOS prefers the iFI iDSD ro the HA-2, as posted several pages back in this thread (or in the Sony NWZ-A10 thead). I don't know of anyone else who has compared them.
It truly has been difficult to put the HA-200 up for sale, as I like it so much, but it's only my favorite HD800 amp in the $300 price range. My roughly $1000 Metrum Acoustics Aurix, though better with the HD800 overall than the HA-200, and especially in terms of resolution without fatigue, does not win in terms of bang-for-the-buck, sound stage, a more "forgiving" nature with less than perfect recordings, or raw power (and thus, versatility with other headphones, like my...