or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

This is perhaps the wrong thread in which to post this, but hey - it's my thread!     And I think everyone will enjoy this analysis of how Steely Dan works...     Deacon Blues from Steely Dan's album Aja:   tidal.com/track/35665489   Stolen Moments from Oliver Nelson's album The Blues and the Abstract Truth:   tidal.com/track/1151180   Moanin' from Art Blakey's album Moanin' (The Rudy Van Gelder Edition):   tidal.com/track/1380976   If this last track rings...
[[SPOILER]]    I've been away from Head-Fi for a couple of weeks and am only now seeing your recent posts - but I'm confused, too. Please tell me if this accurately describes your current chain (and, if not, please try testing this chain): iPhone 6s > CCK > Cardas USB cable (four-wire) > Uptone Audio USB Regen > Elijah Konvertible Lite 160 (leaving the red +5V wire connected, initially) > Metrum Hex USB input In my experience, to avoid seeing the error you are seeing on...
 Cees Ruijtenberg is "the best."  I got into a rumble with one of his dealers and he ended up taking very good care of me - bent over backwards and then some.  I respect him tremendously.
I don't know. Having spent as much as $50 to download individual DSD albums, I'm no longer interested in DSD. The acquisition cost and storage space cost are just not matched by any discernible difference in audio quality (my gear, my ears).  96/24 PCM is as high as I go.  
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/777406/metrum-acoustics-musette-nos-r-2r-dac-2015-discussion-thread/165#post_12477484
Cees Ruijtenberg replied to an email I had sent with similar questions.  He said you don't even need to connect an amp.  Just turn it on and select a source, so that the DAC is processing an incoming signal - for a two-week burn-in.     Then, for best results, don't turn it off, thereafter - leave it turned on, but after burn-in, you don't have to pump a signal into it when not playing music.     Mike
 I've never heard of those, but I like the concept - a higher voltage (9.6V) could slightly improve dynamics and bass control with innefficient, fullsize headphones.  As long as you didn't mind keeping one or two on the charger and swapping batteries more frequently, it could give you some sonic benefits. On the other hand, if you will be using fairly efficient headphones (i.e. Oppo PM-3) or most IEMs, you wouldn't need the extra voltage and would probably better...
^ You've really got me interested in the Denon DA-300USB.   It has seven boards in it.  This thing is a steal - on parts count, alone.   https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hifi/dac/da300usb   http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hificomponents/usbdaconverters/da300usb   And its uses 15V DC power (which means you could get really clean power from a battery pack, if not a good LPS.)   Measures only 7x7x2-inch case - great for "transportable"...
 Yes, you can use an LOD cable to extract an analog Line Out from its DAC section, bypassing the amp, but the Line Out is very weak - only 0.245V rms - roughly 1/8 as much power of a typical desktop DAC's 2V rms output and 1/4 the output of many portable DACs that can deliver 1V rms.  So, you'd better have a really powerful amp or just use the Headphone Out of the A15 to drive your amp (double  This would be true if the question was:  "Can the A15 accept input from an...