Posts by zilch0md

The explanation you've given of your mod makes so much sense it has me wondering if I shouldn't go back to the craft store, too.   I actually ordered two HA-200s with the intention of doing the balanced dual mono thing that Michael Mercer and Armageis had praised in the HD800 impressions thread, but the amps arrived (at the same time), I left one of them sealed in its shipping carton, unopened. After burning in the other one, I was so impressed I decided not to bother...
^. Haha! No problem... Here you go! http://tinyurl.com/qhoscrw
 Hey Stuart, Tidal is a love/hate thing, unfortunately - a bittersweet experience that, fortunately, is mostly sweet - very sweet.  The bitterness comes, of course, from inexplicable, intermittent drop-outs, where Tidal's servers just seem to be overloaded. And there are plenty of people who can testify as I do that even when Tidal is choking, they are able to stream content from sources like Netflix that require much more bandwidth than a 44/16 FLAC file.  I've got 25...
 Thanks for that link!  I love the way this reads:   I'm now at about the 65-hour mark in burning-in the Aurix, and I've stopped "sampling" the sound, allowing it to just finish my planned 100-hour burn-in.  And then, after another brief session with the DACmini CX, to see if I can detect any improvements, I will break out my already seasoned Octave MkII (which was spared all of those burn-in hours) and get to the business of comparing these two chains: 96/24 WAV > FiiO X5...
^ Hey, thanks! I always feel as if I've stuck my neck out when I spill my first impressions, so it's great to garner agreement. I will surely try the Aurix with some other headphones eventually and I'm sticking to my original plan of a 100-hour burn-in. What's another couple of days after six weeks?
Hey vertical! All three of those would make great alarm clocks songs. Really! I like listening to stuff that rattles my brains when I first get up.
I made the same mistake trying to burn-in a new amp and headphones. Doh! Foobar to the rescue. I wonder if the Tidal app has an inactivity detector that kicks in after so many minutes of no user input... Nah, it's just their lousy servers... .
  In an email from Cees Ruijtenberg, he joked that the Aurix sounds like "a wet towel" when new, but that it only has to be left turned on, with some cheap headphones attached, for "a couple of days" - playing music. At this writing, I'm 38-hours into his recommended 48 hours, but I think I'll just keep it for 100 hours - to help burn-in the PM-3 if not the Aurix. And yes, berydude, that delay interferes a bit with A/B testing. The Aurix' protection circuit is very...
 This was my first good laugh of the day...   Cracks me up how this evolved!   Thank you, Swami.  
 @gerelmx1986 I don't yet have one, although I intend to get it eventually, but I believe the Sony NWZ-A17's greatest strengths are its friendly and bug-free UI (which very few non-Sony DAPs can match), its unlimited storage capacity via the microSDXC card reader (which IDevices lack), its long battery life, small size, and light weight.   But those last three strengths contribute to the A17's greatest failing - its very weak, 10mW per channel into ? Ohms amplifier, which...