Posts by zilch0md

Wow!   That's really beautiful.  Drool!  
 I'm surprised to see that any particular pad, when used on the PM-2, does not produce the same curves as that same pad on the PM-1.   For example, why are the curves for OPPO PM-2 with Leather pad not identical to the curves for OPPO PM-1 with Leather pad?  A note for anyone who would be quick to draw a conclusion:  This apparent distinction between the PM-1 and PM-2 drivers, as measured by InnerFidelity when both are using the Leather Pads, does not carry over to the...
 Thanks!  That's valuable info.  I had concluded from a lot of other reading (since making my post above), that the stock Havana and Havana 2 will degrade resolution, so you're opinion is in good company, confirming what I'd read elsewhere.  I'm now thinking about amps to cure the HD800, instead of DACs... Any day now, I'm going to get so burnt out on research, I'll just put the HD800 up for sale and pretend they doesn't exist.  
Teetering on the brink of doing so...
 Surely, you jest!   I'm very close to selling my HD800 because I'm convinced that I have to spend more money on a proper amp than I'm willing to spend and trying to do it cheaply would only lead me to spend even more money in the long run. I've been beating this particular dead horse for several months, but have concluded that you can save a little money by softening the treble (removing detail) and warming the mids and bass - at the DAC - with something like the MHDT...
 That would indeed explain the price difference - thanks!   Mike
I never doubted it, despite my attempt at humor. It can makes sense if you consider the ratio of sales they'll make because of that warranty to the loss on a few returns. Smart!
Thanks for that, KmanChu! I'm ok with single-ended input to an amp with balanced output. I personally don't believe the DAC output has to be balanced with short, well-shielded cables, where common-mode rejection is not really necessary or beneficial. Balanced output to the headphones is more important, to avoid cross-channel impedance fluctuations on a common ground - affecting the frequency response of dynamic headphones moreso than planar magnetics, which are almost...
Did someone make these for you?
^ Not without using tape over the 5V power pin of one USB A connector - OR - going to an affordable Y-cable that's probably longer than what you're seeking.     What's your pleasure?  Taping the pin or using a cable that has to be coiled to make it "mobile"?