Posts by zilch0md

Thanks man.  I appreciate your like-mindedness.   
To my knowledge, there's only one Metrum Acoustics dealer in the U.S.:       http://hifiheaven.net/store/       a.k.a.       http://stores.ebay.com/hifiheavengreenbaywiusa/   I bought my Octave MkII from him and, at this point in time, I would recommend him without hesitation. The Aurix arrived in factory fresh packaging. He is not at fault in any way. It's only my pessimistic assumptions that have me wanting to avoid a "repaired" Aurix.     I paid for an...
In any case, I want a new unit, not one that the dealer has serviced himself after a bunch of still-affixed parts have been knocked about by whatever is tumbling around in there. If he can send me another, before I return this one, that would be fine. Otherwise, I'm out. Somebody else can buy the one that's been churned up inside like a rock polisher. Buyers beware, this one isn't coming back to me.
My Metrum Aurix arrived today, making music before I even removed it from the bubble wrap. My first impression is that it sounds a lot like a cow bell, but only if you rotate it slowly, tumbling it end over end. Once you set it down on a table or desk, it's dead silent. There's no telling how it would sound if I were to unwrap it and plug it in. It would probably go "Pow!" and "Kaboom!" instead of just "Ding!" and "Dong!" More impressions to follow... ... after I...
 Thanks for the warning - I think I'll skip that experiment.   
No doubt, I am very much enjoying Tidal when it's working - bittersweet dichotomy.
Yes, they've oversold their server bandwidth. Sigh... And we're among the early adopters. What will it be like six months from now, if they don't spend a lot of money to expand their infrastructure ahead of the wave? Maybe they should change their name to Tsunami.
^ Thanks Zoom25.   Pure doesn't make a Lightning version of the i-20 (why not?) and I don't have a 30-pin -to- Lightning adapter, although I've seen them on Amazon. My iPad Mini uses a Lightning connector, but I like using the iPad 3 for streaming music this way - having brought it back into service, so to speak, thanks to Tidal. The Retina display is nice, but the larger size of the iPad 3 makes it better in this role than the iPad Mini, because I can read all the text...
For about three years, now, I've routinely used these size large disposable, elasticized, ear pad covers on all of my fullsize headphones:         http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG   They're great for protecting velour and leather.     I've found them to be sonically transparent, but surely they have some impact - I'm just saying that if it were measured, it's got to be a fraction of a dB of attenuation. Best of all,...
I have had the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod for a couple of years, now, and can say that it is truly the most neutral amp I've owned with the exception of its equal, in terms of neutrality - the portable Meier Stepdance - they are both dead neutral - benchmarks of neutrality, really.    The 1-Ohm version sounds great with headphones that have a coloration I like (i.e. LCD-2, HD650, etc.), but if the headphone itself is dead neutral and/or bright (AKG K550,...