Posts by zilch0md

I love this album, too!  I have the CD - purchased before Tidal.  Her live version of Take Me To The River is stunning (among other great tracks on that album.) http://tidalhifi.com/track/36444270  Hey Cuiter23 - I'm bummed I can't find that album on Tidal, but thanks for the pic!  How well mastered is it? Mike
 Thanks for the reply!  Yes, surprisingly, I prefer the HD800 with the HA-2 set to low gain.  Mike
 Hi Micael! You are batting 1000!  Surely we were separated at birth!   I didn't want to reply until I'd had a chance to leisurely listen to your recommendations and having finally done so, this morning, I'm just bowled over by how much I like them.   Alt-J has been one of my absolute favorites for awhile, now, but I'd never heard of Elsiane or Rhye.  Once again, you've turned me onto music that not only rings my bell, but these are great recordings, too.   I find Esiane...
 I'm very attracted to the Balpro, not to mention the Sony A7r and Schneider Digitars, but I don't want the extension it would force, even when fully compressed. I'm more interested in tilt and shift for landscape and architecture than for closer subjects, and in truth, really only want tilt for the sake of faster shutter speeds and less diffraction had with wider apertures.   I really envy the control you must enjoy shooting primarily tabletop subjects. It's an area I've...
   Hey guys, Have either of you tried your HA-2 with the HD800?  If so, which do you prefer, Low Gain or High Gain?   I'm interested in your opinions, before I pollute your thinking with mine.   Anyone else? Thanks! Mike
Hi newtoears,   You seem to have made a very good effort doing your homework.     I've had the HD800 for 16 months and personally didn't care for the way it sounded with the Valhalla 2, but don't let that discourage you, as your tastes may be entirely different from mine. Without hesitation, I recommend you get it and listen to it for a few days.  I had the Vali before that, and didn't like it either, but if you haven't heard it, you should get it and listen to it for...
 Thanks for doing this post-release research!  OPPO is awesome!  I'm sorry to hear about your broken cable, qsk78, but it sounds as if the rest of the gear survived intact.    And thanks for the pointer regarding the need to order the cable selecting the option for a PHA-3 instead of for a PHA-2.  That might be what went wrong with OPPO's order. Mike
 There's a slight consensus in favor of using two duals rather than four singles, but some would argue that you won't hear a difference. I bought singles, but if I were going to buy more, I would get duals - it's a little less expensive and, if there is a sonic advantage, I believe the duals would have the edge. Frugalphile (eBay seller) is a good source for them, as his soldering is very nicely done, but those blue PCBs he uses are a little too large to avoid running into...
Choke, sputter, gasp! I had imagined you might be using something like the GX680, but man... You've got the ultimate Rollei and I'd never even heard of the Novaflex Balpro T/S. That thing is really cool - especially with the rotating front and rear design with adapter plates for numerous bodies and lenses.By the way - AND way off topic - I shave with a Merkur 39C - not brave enough to go straight! LOLMike
[[SPOILER]]  Where have I been!?   Or perhaps I should say, "So much music, so little time!"  Thank you so much for introducing Jungle and D'Sound.  I had no knowledge of these artists and my initial survey of their music has them marked as favorites already - especially D'Sound. Wow! The Carpenters gone R&B! Great musicianship in a very accessible style and very well recorded.      As for starting a new thread for Tidal recommendations, having started Songs that make us a...