or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

It's a wonder more people here on Head-Fi haven't tried it, but the price is higher than the Burson V5, so that's a showstopper for some people.   Then again, I paid $150 + shipping for a pair of NJR Muses 02, ordered from mouser.com, to avoid getting counterfeits. When you compare the material construction of the Sparkos SS3602 to the Muses02, it's the Muses 02 that's way overpriced (and not at all competitive in terms of sound quality).   This IC op-amp costs $75.00 (if...
Scruffy1 has posted some very positive comments on the Burson V5i, in the Opamp thread:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5175#post_12642543
 Thanks very much for your well-expressed opinion!  
In a word: Headroom.   A recording can demand momentary power levels that far exceed rms levels. If the headroom isn't there, you don't hear the full dynamic range of a truly dynamic recording.  It's not about how loudly the amp can play the music. I want an amp that can play the music much more loudly than I would ever want to listen, whether I'm using headphones or speakers.   Plugging an inefficient headphone directly into an iPhone, or worse, into a Sony NWZ-A10...
 Despite the efficiency of the PM-3, most DAPs and portable amps are going to fall short of providing enough power for the PM-3 to really become all that it can be.  If it sounds good to your ears on 30mW, it will sound much, much better on 300mW.  But, again, I think that once you get to around 350mW into 32-Ohms (I'm guessing on my experience with various amps), certainly no more than 500mW into 32-Ohms, you will have "arrived."  (The PM-3 has a 26-Ohm impedance, but...
 First, thank you for your appreciation of my dogmatic dissertation.  And to Peter (@peterinvan), who "accomplished nothing" by creating a balanced cable for his M8 > PM-3, I want to apologize for neglecting to mention that you should be congratulated for recognizing that no improvement could be heard!  You have wonderfully objective ears - especially given that you built the balanced cable yourself. I would surely have heard some improvements, had I built that cable!    I...
 Thank you, ph0n6! Yes, it seems to be designed to suit the masses...   /sarc/ We want everything to be slickly styled, smaller, lighter and more convenient, with USB charging and a longer battery life!   Oh wait...  All of those must-haves will compromise power output and sound quality! Oh well! That's what we want! Give it to us! /end sarc/
 The greatest advantages of going from unbalanced to balanced output, with most amps that offer both TRS and 4-Pin jacks, are readily audible benefits that can come with an increase in power (improved dynamics and bass control), but even then, only with headphones that were insufficiently powered at the TRS jack, not the arguably inaudible benefits that come with elimination of common-mode noise or cross-channel impedance fluctuations.   I have never read a review of any...
  Candy?    
 OK - now I need a reference, please.  I can't find any mention of the PB3 other than people wishing it were coming - since way back.