or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

Hi Lohb, Welcome to PB2 land! Yes, it's sad that the trend shifted from separate components to all-in-one uber-DAPs, especially when you consider the ridiculously buggy UIs found in every DAP other than those made by Sony, which themselves suffer from having only 10- or 15mW peak output into 16-Ohms. Our choices, today, are confined by the ignorance of the masses and manufacturers' reasonable desire to meet the demands of the majority. But those of us who have an...
Hi Mshenay,   Somehow, I overlooked your post, above.  I've never tried the caps with the LME49990, and unfortunately, I've just spent about six hours wearing out my ears with testing the Sparkos SS3602 Duals vs. the Burson V5 Duals, in my PB2, so I will have to test the LME49990s with and without caps, some other day.     Meanwhile, for the sake of the guys on the Gustard H10 thread, where many of them use the Burson V5s that have been melting left and right, here's a...
Yes, there's that issue, for sure.  With the 22V maximum supply volt rating and the open construction, the SS3601 or 2 should hold up really well in the H10, at any gain setting.   And if you did have a problem, Sparkos Labs is in Colorado - easier and faster for performing exchanges.
 Hi zachO, Actually, now that they have had a few hours of burn-in, and I've spent some time swapping back and forth between the Burson V5 Dual and the Sparkos SS3602 - back and forth - back and forth - with several favorite tracks, the differences between them are shrinking (compared to what I heard when the Sparkos were new.) Again, this might still be premature, as they could still be settling in, but at this point, the greatest distinction is that the Sparkos are more...
  The Sparkos Labs SS3602 duals arrived today. They are far from burned-in but I'm really impressed with how they sound (and I'm actually able to close the lid of my PB2 portable amp). The HD800 isn't having any "compatibility" problems. My first (premature) impression is that they are a little bit rolled off in the treble, compared to the well-seasoned Burson V5.  More time is needed.  For sure, they are competitive with the Burson V5.
 I find the HA-1's amp section to be wonderful with all but the highest-resolving headphones (i.e. Senn HD800 or, my latest acquisition, the DT880 600-Ohm), but if you're looking to run a pair of HA-200s with an HD800, using the HA-1 as the DAC, I would advise against it (despite the fact that it offers balanced output.)  Not only is the amp section of the HA-1 incompatible with the HD800 (due to its use of negative feedback to compensate distortion created by multiple...
 Yes, my pursuit is getting pretty crazy, but I like how zachO has described the Sparkos, so I just have to try it. I paid $150, before shipping, to get a pair of JRC Muses 02, from a reliable source (mouser.com), was not impressed and did not get any takers after trying to sell the pair for $75 across many weeks of posting the ad. So, I was reluctant to pull the trigger on the Sparkos, but zachO's testimony isn't the first I've read, praising them. I'm also motivated by...
 With this damage occurring in only a minute of use, I think it's safe to say that this was a "lemon" or, perhaps, a "habanero."  It evidences an absence of quality control, that it could leave the factory unable to operate for even 60 seconds.  See zachO's clarification in his post, below. In my limited experience, only one out of four Burson V5 Duals delivered to me has actually arrived without defects. A 75% failure rate, new in the box, combined with great customer...
   Yes, I was talking about adding small heatsinks to these original, red plastic, V5 cases (which are more like heat traps than heat sinks): Photo by monoxyde1234 Mike
I'm still enjoying my V5 Duals in a portable amp, leaving the lid off simply because the V5s are too tall to put the lid back on, but from everything I've heard to date, I think Burson's use of an injectable foam material, surrounding all of the discrete components, in combination with a solid plastic shell, traps all the heat that's generated within.  When the air temperature inside an amp's closed case is greater than ? degrees, the V5 overheats, the sound quality begins...