Posts by zilch0md

As a fan of acoustical music, you'll likely love the whole NOS experience, but for me, that's limited to the Metrum Octave MkII - which has become my DAC for all amps, all headphones. I've ordered another NOS DAC that should be here in 7 to 10 days.  I always respect the privacy of PMs, so I'll leave it to him to identify himself, if he wishes, but there's a Head-Fi member who has owned the Metrum Quad (discontinued) and the Metrum Hex (which straddle the Metrum Octave...
   Yes, my ears do not fit inside the ear pads, but unlike most supra-aural headphones that are equipped with very thin pads (Sennheiser Amperior and Beyerdynamic DT1350, both of which pinch my ears and make them hurt after thirty minutes of listening), the PM-3 has very thick and soft pads. The bottoms of my ears are under the pads, not inside the ear cups, and yet, the plush pads of the PM-3 make a very good seal (for good bass response and isolation) and I can wear it...
 That's true, but the limited storage available on iDevices at least, which lack card readers, is a showstopper for me - except as a streaming digital source.  I can't stand the hassle of deleting files to make room for new files, never having the capacity to carry my entire library with me - always having to plan what I'll have with me for a day of portable listening.   The availability of Android smartphones that have card readers is, however, enough to kill the market...
 You are not alone in wanting a product like that.  I've scoured the Internet looking for it, but it just doesn't exist.  And James of FiiO, once said that the market for such a thing just isn't large enough to warrant the R&D. Here are some like-minded thinkers:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/704206/discussion-of-a-niche-pure-transport-dap-to-serve-digital-streams-to-a-seperate-dac-amp Bypassing the DAC and amp of an NWZ-A17 does seem to be a waste, but not when you consider...
 Source of comparison specs:   http://oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/headphone-amplifier-HA-2-Features.aspx
 I had considered the TeraDak V3.1D, but took the plunge with The Battery DAC, instead. I was persuaded by a Head-Fi member who told me via PM that he has had the Metrum Acoustics Quad (discontinued) and the $2900 Metrum Acoustics Hex. I've got the Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII (little brother to the Hex) and wouldn't have considered comparing it to The Battery DAC, but for my friend telling me that he now uses The Battery DAC exclusively, including with his Metrum Aurix...
I ordered one of these this morning. And now, the 7- to 14-day wait....
Hi sgbwill2,   Both of the HA-200's XLR jacks (front and rear) are exclusively for use with balanced, dual-mono configuration.     If you want to use a single HA-200, you must use the two RCA inputs from your DAC and the TRS jack output for your headphone.   Mike
  There's no mention of an Optical Input in the now official HA-2 specs:   http://oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/headphone-amplifier-HA-2-Features.aspx John Darko has some 'splainin' to do.