Posts by zilch0md

My X5 has become my favorite desktop source...     http://www.head-fi.org/t/15857/post-a-picture-of-your-headphone-rig/1500#post_10788898   Mike
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/15857/post-a-picture-of-your-headphone-rig/1500#post_10788898
I just this morning got my HA-1 setup in the den, next to my favorite recliner.     In the photo, I'm streaming Beck's Sea Change from my Amazon Cloud Player on an iPad Mini, via Bluetooth to the HA-1, balanced out to HD800 via Toxic Cables Silver Poison.     For much higher quality sound, all the way to DSD2.8, I can use the HA-1's iOS app (or the physical remote control) to switch the HA-1 from Bluetooh input to analog input from the FiiO X5 Line Out. The X5 is...
I really agree with the sentiment of the remainder your post, but I have to respectfully disagree regarding the pads "all sounding basically the same." The absence of a felt ring makes a big difference to my ears (PM-2 pads vs. PM-1 lambskin) - far less subtle than the difference between PM-1 lambskin and velour pads.Mike
Wait for other opinions before spending the money, but I think you would enjoy the Muses 02. As to a database - the "data" so subjective, even short lists are hard to find.
 You're welcome. Basically, there are only three choices of pad, sonically speaking, because the only difference between the PM-2 pad and the PM-2 tuned PM-1 pad is that the latter is made of lambskin instead of polyurethane - not likely to make an audible difference. Choices can cause unhappiness, unfortunately.  Some people enjoy tube-rolling (or rolling op-amps), for example, while others get frustrated.  I tend to obsess on finding the "best" combination for my tastes,...
  They must have shipped like that or Bigshot would have mentioned any tampering he had done when he told purrin that his pads are identical to the ones purrin photographed...    Quoting photos of the forthcoming PM2-tuned PM-1 pad, from purrin's post:  If everybody's telling the truth, I have to deduce that Bigshot's PM-2-tuned PM-1 pads were shipped with his PM-1 by mistake.   My apologies to Bigshot and purrin for stating that condition, but I'm just trying to be...
With a genuine leather strap, no less...
Cute, You're probably the first of many modders to come! Again, I'm not equipped with released PM-2 pads, but I agree with your conclusion that the absence of felt rings increases brightness, transparency and sound stage, but from experience I can say that velour pads increase the bass response, relative to lambskin or polyurethane. Thus, there's a lot of tuning that can be done on the PM-1, just with the following four combinations: Velour with felt rings Lambskin...
Mine are black, too. I had turned up the brightness of the centers of the pads for that comparison photo. ;-)