Posts by zilch0md

Unrelated to the Sonica DAC, there are a few people at ComputerAudiophile.com who say they've lowered the noise floor when streaming from WiFi sources by conditioning the power supplied to their routers.  Just when you thought you'd heard everything, someone finds another way to make improvements.
 For anyone wanting to read the instructions (Mac vs. PC) before downloading this or other files, go here, first: http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Support.aspx
 That is good news.   Is it too early for you to compare the sound of the Sonica DAC to other DACs you've owned?   And do tell us which amp and headphones you are using. Thanks, Mike
This just hooked me!   Artist: Pere Ubu Album: The Hearpen Singles Track: Final Solution     https://tidal.com/track/60376325     ----   And here's Peter Murphy's cover:   Artist: Peter Murphy Album:  Track: Final Solution     https://tidal.com/track/49911864
You have to again select the USB input, at the DAC itself.Any source selected by the Sonica App will override the current DAC-selected input - and - any source selected at the DAC will override a source that was selected at the Sonica App. I just tested it, to make sure. After playing Tidal via the Sonica App (or any other App-selected source), you can rotate the small knob on the left side of the Sonica DAC, one click, then push the knob in to select the USB (Type B...
 ... except when they are contributing an income, too, and sharing household expenses (not to mention unemployed mothers who are housekeeping and raising children).  
 It's true that we cannot trust this poll - it's not a random sampling of the population, potentially attracting more losers than winners, but on the flip side, as has just been mentioned above, people who were having no problems when they voted, or had experienced only one or two failures, cannot change their vote later. What percentage of the lucky 43% (currently) who voted as having no failures, have since had failures? We have no way of knowing. I'm pretty confident,...
Knock-knock!Who's there?ElearElear who?Another Elear with drivers that knock when bass signals are strong.(Going by reports on the Elear thread, I wouldn't want to replace an LCD-3 with an Elear until Focal gets that problem worked out.)
 Posts at the AVS forum indicate no filter selections are available with the Sonica DAC's implementation.   Note that I was one of the Beta testers and can confirm this to be true, but I am not at liberty (yet) to offer any opinions or observations that have not already been published.  Already discussed at the AVS thread and/or revealed in Oppo's published specifications, the Sonica App allows selection of USB Storage (an HDD or flash drive) at either of two USB-A ports...
 If you really want to get into rolling op-amps (and it is a lot of fun - your discernment of audible nuances will actually improve over time), I strongly recommend you leave the Stepdance alone - especially given that you will have to do soldering to roll the op-amps. The Stepdance is somewhat legendary and thus, easy to sell - as long as you haven't modified it.  (Cringe) You might consider getting something like a new or used Neco Soundlab V4, a clean design that has...