Posts by zilch0md

^ Nice!  And thanks for breaking the silence.  I suspect I had killed the mood with my dissertation.  
   I feel compelled to revisit your post, because I'm intrigued at how you came up with this rig.  You've got an undeniably great source, a real sleeper of a truly single-ended Class A amp that can crank out 2 Watts rms into 32-Ohms (and that I absolutely love), and perhaps one of the most respected headphones of all time. I suspect your rig could do circles around most of the rigs we see here, independent of price. Is this the result of many years of buying, selling and...
 Without pushing against the fabric inside the cups with my ruler... The PM-1 ear cups have a depth of 15 mm. The PM-3 ear cups have a depth of 17mm. With the ear cups facing up, that's from the fabric that covers the drivers to where the stitching ends. The pads rise a little higher than the stitching (when not compressed against your head.).
 I measure openings in the PM-3 ear pads that are 35mm x 60 mm - just like the PM-1/PM2, except that the PM-3 openings are more perfect ovals, where the PM-1/PM-2 are round-cornered rectangles.    The thing to remember about OPPO's pads is that they are thick, soft, and pliable - nothing like the thin, ear-pinching pads of supra-aural headphones such as the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Sennheiser Amperior - both of which would bring pain to the tops of my ears if I wore them...
See the update to my previous post.   In other words, feel free to use any headphone with either gain setting. Which brings me to mentioning my usual strategy - to use the lowest gain that provides sufficient power to maximize a given headphone's dynamics and bass control - to secure a lower noise floor.   The Aurix is perhaps the first amp I've ever owned, to my awareness, where other traits get influenced by changing the gain while using a headphone that's efficient...
 Bummer.  They are alienating customers left and right - customers who may never come back.   Here's an idea! Let's all agree to use Tidal only on odd number dates if your date of birth is odd.... ... or even number dates if your date of birth is even! If everyone will please commit to doing this... ... I'll be able to listen whenever I want!  
 The NuForce HA-200 is a great amp for the money - I even hate saying, "for the money" in this case. It's a single-ended, Class A design that not only sounds great with easy-to-please headphones, but sounds much better with the HD800 than the amp section of my OPPO HA-1, for example. What does "single-ended Class A" really mean?  Read this Nelson Pass article...  Mike
 Not recommended.  I love my DACmini CX for just about every other headphone, especially with the LCD-2 rev.1, but it's not on the short list of amps that are compatible with the HD800, in my opinion. Mike
^ And even I would say it can't hurt anything to go balanced between DAC and amp, or between amp and headphones, or both.   It allows you to know you haven't left anything on the table, for sure.     Mike
In my opinion, unless you've got a really long cable run between DAC and amp, where common mode noise rejection can be useful, the short interconnects between stacked components just don't warrant running balanced.    And my only interest in having balanced cables for my headphones is when I'm using an amp that offers more power to a balanced 4-pin jack than to a TRS jack - as with many portable and desktop "quad" push-pull amps.   I've read that transducers can...