Posts by zilch0md

You have to again select the USB input, at the DAC itself.Any source selected by the Sonica App will override the current DAC-selected input - and - any source selected at the DAC will override a source that was selected at the Sonica App. I just tested it, to make sure. After playing Tidal via the Sonica App (or any other App-selected source), you can rotate the small knob on the left side of the Sonica DAC, one click, then push the knob in to select the USB (Type B...
 ... except when they are contributing an income, too, and sharing household expenses (not to mention unemployed mothers who are housekeeping and raising children).  
 It's true that we cannot trust this poll - it's not a random sampling of the population, potentially attracting more losers than winners, but on the flip side, as has just been mentioned above, people who were having no problems when they voted, or had experienced only one or two failures, cannot change their vote later. What percentage of the lucky 43% (currently) who voted as having no failures, have since had failures? We have no way of knowing. I'm pretty confident,...
Knock-knock!Who's there?ElearElear who?Another Elear with drivers that knock when bass signals are strong.(Going by reports on the Elear thread, I wouldn't want to replace an LCD-3 with an Elear until Focal gets that problem worked out.)
 Posts at the AVS forum indicate no filter selections are available with the Sonica DAC's implementation.   Note that I was one of the Beta testers and can confirm this to be true, but I am not at liberty (yet) to offer any opinions or observations that have not already been published.  Already discussed at the AVS thread and/or revealed in Oppo's published specifications, the Sonica App allows selection of USB Storage (an HDD or flash drive) at either of two USB-A ports...
 If you really want to get into rolling op-amps (and it is a lot of fun - your discernment of audible nuances will actually improve over time), I strongly recommend you leave the Stepdance alone - especially given that you will have to do soldering to roll the op-amps. The Stepdance is somewhat legendary and thus, easy to sell - as long as you haven't modified it.  (Cringe) You might consider getting something like a new or used Neco Soundlab V4, a clean design that has...
 Cool, another portable amp that can use the SS3601.  Joy! Try contacting Sparkos first, to see if 20V is actually too high.  (He probably will tell you it's too high, but maybe his specs have a safety margin.)
 Well....   The 1611 (and 1612 dual) can sound somewhat "crystaline" in the Stepdance and in my iBasso PB2, when used with any of the ESS DACs, plus headphones like the Senn HD800, Beyer T1, or Beyer DT880 600-Ohm but, to my ears, the 1611 (in Stepdance) is just about perfect for the Oppo PM-1, PM-2, or PM-3 and the Audeze LCD-2 rev. 1 - anything planar magnetic, I'd venture.  And really, it's about perfect for any headphone (except those that require a lot of power), when...
I've never heard of anyone trying that.
Let's hear it for Sparkos Labs!     I so love the way the SS3602 sound in the input voltage gain stage of my portable iBasso PB2, with dummy buffers (no current gain, but less noise), that this has become my absolute favorite amp.    I find my SS3602-equipped iBasso PB2 portable amp to be:   Better than my Meier-Audio Corda Stepdance (the SS3602 has a more analog, less "crystaline" sound, yet every bit as neutral and resolving and with the same black noise...