or Connect

Posts by zilch0md

Having never used the HA-200 in the dual monoblock configuration, I nevertheless concur with everything you are saying here, as it relates to the HD800.  I actually ordered two HA-200s at the same time, leaving one of them unopened, only to sell it it in that condition, later, new in the box.  Call me cheap, but I was so very impressed with how well a single HA-200 performed with the HD800 and so discouraged (call me lazy) by the prospect of ordering custom cables for a...
  For $27 plus shipping costs, you could start by just setting two of these 300mm x 120mm aluminum heat sinks on top of the H10 case, side by side - without attaching them or using any thermal cement:   http://www.lck-led.com/aluminum-heatsink-15x3w-40x1w-300x120x20mm-black-p-946.html You would be surprised how effective this can be. I routinely use a small heat sink placed underneath my CEntrance DACport - which can get quite warm, running in Class A.    You would think...
 Wow!  The DACmini CX is standing proud in that rig!   I don't know what kind of amp or speakers you have - they're beautiful - but I also love the fact that you are using Tidal HiFi > iDevice > CCK as your source.  I've been doing this myself ever since Tidal HiFi was first offered and I love how "silent" the iDevices can be when a USB signal is pulled from them this way - compared to power-noisy laptops and PCs.   Another plus with the DACmini CX is that it supplies its...
Wow!  The pleather pads surely do increase the bass energy of the DT880 600.  I have all four types of pads for the Oppo PM-1 and none of them make so dramatic a change on the PM-1 as does replacing the DT880's velour pads with pleather.  Amazing.
Interesting!  I did not know the Pono was a zero-feedback design.  My wallet floweth under!  
   I'm still surprised that he's having difficulties with the iPad > CCK > Musette, given that I've had no problems with my iPad > CCK > Octave MkII.   The signal coming from a CCK (whether Lightning or 30-pin) looks just like a USB signal from a laptop or Mac, with one exception - the iDevice does not provide 5V power, as would most USB sources. It's my understanding that the Musette's USB input is similar to my Octave MkII's Anamero-based USB module, in that it requires...
The First Watt M2, by Nelson Pass, is a 25wpc power amplifier that uses an autoformer instead of "static" transformers (Aurix) for magnetic gain, but is otherwise somewhat similar to the Metrum Acoustics Aurix - certainly so in terms of design philosophy.    For more on the benefits of zero-feedback minimalist designs, check out the M2 owner's manual, written by Mr. Pass:   http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_m2_man.pdf   And don't miss out on the words of (our very...
^ Yes!  
The zero-feedback design of the Aurix that works particularly well with the very revealing HD800 - which readily detects a brittle edginess in the treble of the Oppo HA-1 amp section, for example, a low-energy hash near the noise floor created as an artifact of using lots of negative feedback to eliminate the distortion introduced with multiple gain stages.   This Nelson Pass article explains the benefits of zero-feedback amps:...