Posts by Robin W.

Go here:http://www.blackforestwood.com/ Not sure if they'd have it but worth a shot and local! Mine arrived, they are interesting, need some time to burn in, but I do enjoy the highs already.
Have you guys been able to contact joneeboi yet? I saw him a few weeks ago and I'd be happy to pass along a message or point him to this thread.   He's been very busy with life but mentioned that he'd like to get back into this if/when time permits.
JRC is not a company that is capable of dealing with the end user.  They have authorized dealers for that reason, places like Digikey/Mouser have large scale customer support and the ability to ship 1 or 2pcs of MusesXX efficiently. I would be surprised (though it's not impossible) if any chinese or asian supplier is an authorized "dealer" that deals directly with JRC (I say this because none are listed on the Muses website).  Some of the chinese sellers may buy large...
You really need to take into consideration the amp itself.  You could put the same op-amp into two different amps and get entirely different sounds depending on the circuit design.  Think of it like synergy between headphones and an amp, or an amp and a dac etc. In one combination they might be the best thing since sliced bread, but another combo of equality good equipment might be hardly listenable. Many pieces of studio gear that I've seen that use op-amps just use high...
You don't need an adapter to plug in a TO-99.  The pin arrangement is identical you simply need to form and trim the leads.  When I do it the can itself is slightly higher off the dip socket than a pdip so if done well you would need 2-4mm above a standard PDIP.  (depending on your skill level at forming the leads you might even get it basically the same height as a standard dip since the can is actually shorter than a dip, you just need room to form the leads and not...
If you like the sound of the Muses02 Plus LME49710NA you could try the LME49710HA, which is the metal can version of the same op-amp.  It has a very similar sound with a bit more detail and openness.
For what it's worth this is a picture of a legit Muses02. The most significant physical difference I've noticed is the leads are soft and flexible.  IE part of the Muses design is the copper frame, so the leads don't feel like most normal op-amps which are a bit stiffer. It's less likely that someone trying to fake A Muses would go through the trouble and expense of re-creating the copper frame and leads.  I've never had a fake so I couldn't say for sure, however it's...
Mouser has a couple types from the muses series in stock, including the Muses01.  Definitely not the best price in low quantities however you know they are legit.  Probably more cost effective to get the real one the first time than to get a fake and replace it later.
Gary, you've done a great job, and out of all of this I hope what you've found is a Dac that YOU LIKE!  The rest doesn't matter, those who appreciate your efforts have likely spoken, and those that find fault with everything will continue to do so till the end of time.  Sit back, relax and enjoy some music WITHOUT careful level matching, A/B switching or critical listening.
I don't agree or disagree with burn in, I believe I've encountered it, but subjective listening isn't proof given the time frames involved, but I've never been able to measure it.  I do however believe in warm up, not all devices seem to behave the same (IE some don't seem to audibly change), but some do have a subjective difference after 15-30 minutes of idle or low volume playback.   For those of you interested in Muses but don't want to invest $50-75 a piece in...