Posts by DougofTheAbaci

Because most computers don't have enough output to power the DAC? System noise shouldn't be a factor here.
Doesn't help you too much but I have the HE-500 and the Lyr/Bifrost combo and am considering moving to the WA7. I'm given to understand it's a step up, not sure how much yet.
Whenever someone releases anything that contradicts current information it's generally a good idea to question it, but not necessarily reject it out of hand.I'd say this is a good time for some others to post their measurements.
I'm a bit dubious about to what degree a power cable would effect the sound, but I can believe that far more than a USB cable. Do you happen to have the link you mentioned available? Also curious what cable you went for, if it was something special or just a standard copper cable with some solid shielding.
Outside of better shielding... One USB cable will deliver audio identically to any other USB cable. Sorry, but anything beyond that is aesthetics and wishful thinking. Just get a medium price cable from Amazon and be done with it.
Pretty solidly on the fence right now. There's a number of things the WA7 would do that my current setup doesn't that makes me rather interested... OK, gents, honest opinions needed. I have a pair of HE-500's running through a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost with stock tubes and a Norn 2 cable. I've been told the WA7 would be a step up but how much of one are we talking about? Most of my audio is lossless but there's a good 15% or so that's still 256+ AAC or MP3. My current...
How are we still talking about these things? You know what gets me to stop following a thread? When people start focusing on entirely irrelevant things. Be it a minor annoyance that's blown way out of proportion or someone being upset that their opinions weren't received in the way they wished they'd been. TL;DR: Damn kids, get off my lawn! *unsubscribed*
OK, few things: Those of you who have shared opinions that aren't positive, thank you. Continue to do so. You are welcomed and valued. Please continue to share your opinions, even if not everyone appreciates them. They are needed here. Loose pins suck but let's keep this in perspective. The solution is extremely simple, completely non-invasive and a tool that the vast majority of people have ready access to is the only requirement. Also, while this problem isn't unheard...
THis isn't the first time people have had negative things to say about Heir Audio and I doubt it will be the last. Such is the nature of business, ladies and gentlemen. Let's not be pedantic and say we have to 100% stick to the letter of the title. We're 455 pages into this thread and I doubt we got here by only telling Heir Audio how amazing they were. We've discussed a lot of things and, for the most part, all have been related to Heir Audio. As long as that's true I...
That's just bit-depth and sample rate. You can have those in your standard FLAC and ALAC files just fine, though I imagine WAV and AIFF would be more common (both are standard and well supported).Also, I'd say a digital lossless source will likely be better than a CD if for no better reason than CD's get damaged and degrade with time. Digital files don't. OK, they do, but not nearly to the same degree and a good filesystem (ZFS, for example) will remove that problem but...