Posts by DougofTheAbaci

A better suggestion is find a pair of headphones that don't kill the cups every few months. Seems like a great way to waste money. I have a spare set of HE-500 pleather pads (the velours are too itchy for my tastes) and the ones I'm wearing are virtually identical. I've had them for at least a year and a half so... Yeah. Read that as you will.
That really just sounds like bad luck. I spent a good year and a half where I was probably gaming something like 6+ hours every day, on average, and I have never had to replace headphone pads on either the Denon AH-D2000's I had before or the Hifiman HE-500's I have now. I really think you just had some bad pads.
1. Yep, they are. That's why I have one of these: http://www.modmic.com/ I don't play team-based FPS with people who don't have mics. Great way to lose. Anyway, with one of these (they work amazingly, by the way) you can even take it off when you don't need it.2. Pads wear out after years, not weeks or months. By the time you need to replace them dropping $50 (I'd love to see a headphone that cost $120 for new pads...) for a set isn't going to seem like a big deal.If you...
While my experience with CIEMs is by no means exhaustive, or even terribly extensive, but what I've been given to understand is that once you get among the flagships it really becomes a matter of personal taste. Basically, anything over $1,000 will be amazing and which one is best is going to depend on what you listen to, what gear you have and so forth.
They're Sennheiser so they're not terrible. I'd actually go check out LinusTechTips on Youtube, he's been doing a number of gaming headset reviews of late and he's of a pretty good mind when it comes to audio quality.'That being said, I maintain, as others do, that you'd be just as well served by a good set of stereo headphones. As said before, most, though not all, surround sound headphones rely on software to mix the audio from surround down to stereo. Your computer will...
I have a Schitt Lyr for my HE-500's and it's a wonderful combination, I can only imagine the HE-560 would benefit in a similar way. Honestly, it's a shame you just bought a DAC as I would have said Firefly. I'm in a very similar situation as you as I'd like to start using my CIEM's at home but plugging them into a Lyr would make my ears bleed even on the lowest setting. From what I understand the WA-7 Firefly does a solid job with both things like the HE-500 and CIEM's,...
Doesn't look like we're going to get very lucky... I'm continuing my search but, unsurprisingly, CIEMs aren't compared against full-sized headphones in terms of sound so I'm having to kind of guess. Looking for something with great extension and a wide sound stage that's got a natural signature, but it's hard to search for those things, haha. Kind of have to just read between the lines. Ultimate Ear's Reference In-Ear Monitor sounds like it might do the job, but the...
*Bump* So I'm guessing such a headphone doesn't exist?
I have a pair of HE-500's for home use and they are, to my ears, perfect. They are exactly the sound I love... But I can't take them wherever I go! As a sort of exploratory question (aren't those the most dangerous, financially?) I was wondering what CIEM comes closest to the HE-500 in terms of sound? I've had the Heir Audio 4.A and that came pretty close in some ways (dirty thieves relieved me of them) but where the HE-500 may not have bass emphasis I definitely don't...
That does seem to be the case. This side of the WA-7 there doesn't seem to be a single other AMP that I can find that has both. Even when they have two (which is rare enough) they're usually the same size.