Posts by georgep

Amphenol makes connectors for the military - their products are top notch. Surplus just means they are not being made anymore and their supply is limited.
 PJ are not a dealer in Japan, but they do only sell new stuff - they act as a middle man for Japanese dealers getting a cut from the buyer and likely a cut from the dealer as well. The $50 charge sounds a bit jerky given that they make some good money on these, but one can also see how their margins could start to shrink if they are just doing busy work. I have bought from PJ and know many others who have as well and everything has been perfect. And although you save...
 Sorry, could you tell me how many KGSSHVs you have built? I have built two off-board and one on-board (uncased). I have also built a DIY-T2. I think I know what I am talking about when I tell you that 10ma is not the "standard" for the offboard - it is a modification, though a very easy modification any diy-er can do as they build. Diy'ers were encouraged not to up the curent for the on-board because of heat dissipation issues. And for the most part the parts quality is...
 Just a few comments:Don't know the current rating for the 727, but the KGSSHV outboard is not 10ma without modification. Besides, Spritzer has commented numerous times that there is no audible difference between stock (which I believe is 5.5ma) and higher current ratings.The 727 with the feedback mod (changing two resistors) has received Stax mafia approval and is a bit better than the 717 post-mod. With the transistor mod (slightly more intensive work), the 727 is...
 Totally agree with this. I get the same enjoyment from my music whether listening with my 727 or diy-t2 or Honda Odessey sound system for that matter. I have high end stuff to choose from because I felt like having high end stuff - not because I needed it. It is also worth noting that the amount of misinformation about the relative qualities and the technical aspects of the varous electrostatic amps that has been posted here in the past couple of days, and even months, is...
 You should try a search as he has posted his thoughts more than once,.
 Did you try counting them? You probably only need one hand if you are being conservative and doing some weighing, and no more than two hands if you are being generous. Just going to your point about forums slanting the figures and then you also say "it does seem a lot of 009s had to go back" - so what is "a lot" and how many did you count?
The IXYS parts were the excellent replacement for the sanyo parts. Although I had both Sanyo and IXYS versions of the KGSSHV (though not running at the same time) I never did a side-by-side with the DIY-T2. Suffice to say the T2 is nicer to my ears - whether the money and effort is justified is an individual decision. Never heard the BHSE so can't provide any insight, though there is at least one person on these boards who has all three and he prefers the DIY-T2.
 Yes, I found 40 min to 1hr for the KGSSHV to hit its stride. Interestingly, the T2 is up to speed in a much shorter time span.  Partly, as there are still a few discontinued parts that are used even in the iXYS version. It was really the scarcity and price of the Sanyo 1968 part that was the issue. Not sure if the newest iterations of the kGSSHV boards have suitable replacements for all the discontinued transistors.
 Regarding the minor indentation, these are assembled by hand so fumbling can occur. And there is never any shrink wrap on the outer printed box, though there shouldn't have been any tape on the box (unless they just started doing this recently), just the inner bag that wraps the wooden box would be taped. Sounds like you received a brand new pair, as you would expect, but with a minor imperfection.