or Connect

Posts by Hardwired

Took me a bit to find it but Jason (yes, co-founder of Schiit) says this: "My “main stack” is Mjolnir 2/Gungnir Multibit, not Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. Mjolnir 2 is a warmer, wetter, “happier” amp than Ragnarok, and Gungnir Multibit is also a bit more euphonic than Yggy. The combo may not be the absolute ultimate word in resolution and transparency, but I like the way it sounds better than our top stack." And I sometimes wear the Ethers all day at work depending how much noise...
 Cool, glad I grabbed a pair.  I hear they have a unique sound.
 I can certify the MJ2/G2MB/Ether C combo is a good one. That's what I listen to at home. You'll want a pair of nice tubes but even the stock tubes are decent in this equipment. There are a few thousand pages in other threads about what tubes are good, but I would recommend you listen to the stock tubes then decide if your ears are missing anything and start looking from there if needed. Oh, and get a balanced headphone cable if you haven't already. You'll be glad you...
 So there are 2 different deltas?  Yeah, looking through the document one is a normal isosceles triangle which is the shape I was taught in math class as a delta, but there's another one (that looks like a 4 :) that's a triangle squashed over on it's side.  Ok, no wonder tube codes are black magic.Add in Russian Cyrillic characters and you have some fun going on, with bad light and barely discernible scratches on glass. So I got everything right except the factory...
 Yep, that's a delta, not a 4. Sorry about that. Which would be Philips, Copenhagen. I was wondering about the Venezuela connection.
It's been 30 minutes and nothing but crickets chirping so I'l take a stab at it. :)   VR6 45E4   Using the format TTC FYMW where TT is the tube type, C is the change or batch code, F is the factory code, Y is the year of manufacture, M is the month of manufacture W is the week of manufacture   VR = E188CC/7308 6 = batch 6   4 = Venolanda S.A., Venezuela 5 = 1965 E = May 4 = 4th week of May   How'd I...
 Looks like the same engraved codes on both tubes: VR6 45E4. Now someone work their tarot card readings and interpret those.
 Sure. I'll take a look at them after work.
 Hm. Well, you know how tubes tend to widen and deepen the soundstage of the music? You can listen to the same music with a SS amp and a tube amp and the music sounds 'bigger' or more holographic, or at least it does for me. It's one of the main reasons I'm addicted to tubes. Well, the Valvos I got take that bigger soundstage and increase it yet again, to the point my brain is wondering where the hell the music is coming from. It's like I need a 3rd ear or something to...
 I did post about getting some Valvo red label E188CC tubes from swiss-tubes that sound a lot like what Guido described with his yellow labels. They are noticeably more holographic than any of my other tubes and hurt my brain after I listen to them for a while. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.