Posts by rune-san

The conversation of 10-15K Datacenter-grade SAS drives and even SSD drives is certainly interesting, but it's completely unnecessary to be integrated in the type of appliances being discussed here. The data requirements of streaming music data, even the most absurd, high resolution audio file you care to throw at it (let's say you want the appliance to process and play an 8 channel, 192Khz, 24 bit WAV file). That requires less than 5MB (less than 40Mb) per second of data...
In the modern day we live in, I would expect an "audio appliance" being sold to me to contain nothing less (and would expect nothing more) than a 4TB hard drive, or a 1TB "mini audio appliance". Both of these are the largest hard drives available in today's technology in a 2.5" and 3.5" form factor. With the huge profit margins these boutiques charge for their appliances, and the difference between a 4TB drive and a 500GB ancient drive being $70 (and the difference between...
Really glad to hear this :)   When I was sent off for a week on a business trip to Minneapolis, I left my MacBook Pro in the Hotel after I left, and didn't realize it till nearly 20 minutes later. I sped off back to the Hotel and fortunately found it and it was one of the most relieving moments in my life! :)
I currently have a little over 1TB of cd rips / MP3s, and needle drops on my home storage array.
As already said, the FiiO X5 is really the best DAP you can get that puts music first, and has an extremely well done DAC and Amplification section.
Hey all,   I have thoroughly enjoyed my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB's that were reshelled into a custom mould. So much that I want to get another pair made, as my fiancee has been interested for quite some time.   If anyone has an old pair of Super.fi 5EB's that they are looking to sell, I'd be interested. Shorted cables, cracked housings, broken tips, etc, are all ok as long as the drivers are not damaged. Not looking really for MINT, as they deserve an owner that...
Hey guys, I'm trying to see if such a product exists.   I have at home a Schiit BiFrost, and Schiit Valhalla. I like to use it to amp my Ultrasone Pro 900s as me and my fiancee enjoy using them. The thing is I also have some UM Merlin's that I like to use. We often like to listen to the same music. The question is, is there a product that connects to the analog output of our amplifier (Valhalla) and provides yet another adjustable gain stage for each headphone...
  That's less than half the price of a new pair. If the warranty doesn't matter to you and you're certain they work, sounds like a good price to me. Audio gear doesn't really lose value until its unseated by replacements. The PRO 750 is still in active production, and does not really have any marked improvements over the years, nor does it really have a replacement within its own lineup, so there's little reason for the price to be firesale levels :)
The above is correct. This is exactly the reason many sources (including most Digital sources on computers like S/PDIF, HDMI, etc.) will not let you adjust the volume when using those options :)
That's pretty awesome. If I didn't enjoy the sound of Tubes so much (mmm dirty, dirty harmonics), I would consider getting it and replacing my Valhalla. And if I didn't like my optical out I would maybe even give up my BiFrost. I think Schiit has done a great job here. Those that want multiple interfaces in their DAC will do the BiFrost or the Balanced Gungnir, while the people who just need a great USB interface can do the Modi. Those that was a Tube sound or to drive...