or Connect

Posts by poo

Reserved for update.
I've decided to have a go at sorting out my Sennheiser HD-800 headband and earpads once and for all (hopefully). Looking about on Head-Fi I was surprised that few others had posted with similar issues to the one I have experienced for the last couple of years: the deterioration of the material used to cover the headband and pads. I baby my headphones. I really don't have the budget to afford any of the gear I buy and haven't for some time so every purchase is very...
Sorry only just saw your post here, have sent PM.
 He is no longer working with Benchmark unfortunately. If it is the same person I'm thinking of he used to respond to every question asked of Benchmark products here in the forums, incredibly helpful and clearly very talented/knowledgable in his field. It's a shame to have lost his advice on the forum and his expertise in the industry, I understand he is working in another area entirely. I hope at some point that he develops future audio gear. Anyway I'm glad you are...
Yeah to be honest I'm sure single ended will give me enough of an impression of what to expect, if the sound is even half of what I've read it to be with the HD800 I'll be impressed. I'm very envious of that delicious stack of yours BTW!    Thanks for organising an NZ meet man. Have been to a few in Sydney (awesome guys) so now that I'm back here I'm looking forward to getting to know the NZ-Fi crew :)
Would really love to hear my HD800s through NZtechfreak's CMA800R monos but don't have a balanced cable. If anyone has an HD800 balanced cable that I can beg/borrow/steal/rent/hire/buy before the meet please hit me up :) 
I'll be along, great to see a few goodies in the list that I'd love to spend a little time with.    I can bring any of the following: Benchmark DAC1PRE, Sennheiser HD800/HD650, Burson HA-160 (which I'm happy to sell if anyone's interested).
I'm honestly shocked by the response of other posters in this thread. I'm clearly in the minority in terms of my opinion of the DAC1 as far as other people here, but I really think that the responses here in no way reflect the general opinion of the product, or more importantly, how it actually performs. In short if you can find a better product for 400USD then buy it. I guess it depends on what you expect from a DAC. To my ears, the DAC1 is resolving and neutral with an...
Thanks man, but I'm trying the DIY route. The standard pads are rubbish. I know they're made of amazing materials blah blah blah, it's ****, they just fall apart and make a hell of a mess once they're (not all that) old. I just can't justify throwing so much cash at replacement pads that I know are so poorly made and don't last, plus my headband is in a terrible state now also so I'd really need to replace that too.   I'm half way through my DIY project to sort it out,...
It's technically obsolete in the sense that there are new models from Benchmark, but the DAC1 sounds awesome. If you're getting it for a good price and haven't previously used a DAC/headphone amp of this quality I'd be very surprised if you regret the purchase. Of course, if you can, listen to it first and decide.   In terms of the quality of the internal headphone amp, it's excellent. Each to their own and all that, but in my experience it's a difficult box to beat...