Posts by jamescodway

+1 on the pleather for isolation and sound    Don't rule out a future experiment with HD650 or HD250 cable... esp. if you have a portable amp.   Best   James  
Well worth it . Handled with careful modifications, the hd25s are class in glass.   Best   James
Hello    The DT250-250s are getting 80% of my head time right now for all the reasons already given in this thread . They are a bit of a hidden treasure IMHO.   Being relatively small and light, they are 'portable' but IMHO need a desktop amp to sound convincing. My Graham Slee voyager is excellent with HD25, DT150 and SRH840/940 but underwhelming with the DT250-250. I'd be interested in anybody's experience of the voyager/DT250-80. More importantly, isolation, even with...
Andy, hello.   Just came across the thread... thanks for organising a UK event!   I'll need to see whether I'll be able to attend but if so, see my sig for prospective equipment list.   Best   James
  Unfortunately the softskin do not add much to some pretty basic isolation (insufficient for portable IMHO).   This is not a fatal weakness for the can though. After 2 weeks the 250-250 are fighting off all-comers for head time. Just tried them with the Cyber-20 valve amp and the results are very encouraging. Vocals are still front and centre in their own space and generally readily audible with good ambient detail but just a little less 'in your face' in a good...
Hello, for out and about and at home, if I only had one, it would be HD25-1, with or without an amp (better with). Bigger cans out and about may struggle with isolation (even dt770-80 pro) and are unwieldy in practice - I have tried all mine out and about  ;-)  If I was in the market, I would also look at DT1350.   Good luck.   Best   James 
Hello. In that approx price range for studio closed cans (are you in the UK?), I can also recommend from my collection   Beyer DT250-250 (£125) Shure SRH 940 (£165) Beyer DT150 (with a little reservation) (£125) Senn HD25-1 (£140)   If I was in the market, I'd also be looking at the following - all below £170 in the UK, mainly below £140 AKG K271 Audio Technica M50 German Maestro 8.35 Fischer Audio 003 (?) KRK 8400 Senn HD380   In the UK, a...
Hello!   THe DT770pro-80 is more robust and more comfortable. It shares some of the 840's harshness but more so and at higher frequencies. To me the 770 mids are way too far back/recessed. Their reputation as bass monsters I don't understand but the bass can be much more flabby than the 840s without a pretty serious amp.    For me between those two, I would keep the 840s without much hesitation but I would consider more options - there are lots - in this...
Hello all. Great thread!!   I am still in the dt250 (250ohm) honeymoon period but I think the rehab-type label is really apt. Maybe this time, I'll stay on the wagon... maybe this time... maybe... please!!   Best   James
Hello :-)   You have me intrigued about the M80s. I have found real synergy with the Graham Slee voyager portable amp with a DIY cable/LOD to a 6g ipod. So much so that I don't think my desktops amps sound as good with the HD25s !!   One point on using an SP headband - totally get it, plus the option to rotate helps get the optimum position :-).   I did find though that the ratchets on the hd25-1 housing did get damaged over time so for me it was a one-way...