Posts by jamescodway

All good advice, thank you .   Washing fairly regularly will also stop them rotting away... its amazing how acidic human skin and hair secretions can be     Best   James
Hello there. Update on the work in progress... "The main issues we’ve found are poor routing of some of the wiring, the mains input runs very close to the mains inlet, the high voltage supply is noisy and the heater supply is noisy.   We’ve made it almost completely silent by addressing some of the above, we are now taking things off systematically to see what is critical and what is not. The heater supply is absolutely a problem (we’re running it off a bench power supply...
Hello all. No trouble yet for me... fingers crossed. It really is the best all-rounder I have. All my cans sound good and for some (DT770/80, DT48) it is the best. It seems I made a similar comment here 2 years a ago... !!!   http://www.head-fi.org/t/475918/shanling-ph100/15#post_6494343   Soundstage is somewhat narrow and resolution not the best but solid, robust and with authority.     Best   James
Hello all.    I find the 940s (along with HD25s) are convincing and satisfying out of pretty much any source/amp... and yet they also generate different character. As dweaver wrote above, my tube amp also widens the soundstage and all the other good stuff he said (!). I can also vouch for 940s from the Voyager... a little less 'present' but still detailed and well balanced. From the GS Ultra Linear they have a more detail and punch but with a narrower soundstage....
  I've read a wide variety of responses to that experiment e.g. smaller soundstage, tighter bass. I'm a pleather man myself for isolation. I have worn the 150s out and about... once!! Isolation is rather useful at home too... hence the closed back inventory.       I will PM you.   I find hoarding habits vary by type of possession. Music gear and cans are my main sin... I can throw or give away pretty much anything  else.... hmmmmm. On the surface its resistance to taking...
He's going to open it up and make a recommendation on new caps plus something to reduce/eliminate the mains hum.   His personal taste is grado. We debated the lack of affordable great amps in the UK for Grados... I think his ears are very different to mine as he has no time for any Sennheisers. In this context, I'll be taking the recommendations somewhat on trust!!   The main thing is the 50hz mains hum.   I'll keep you posted...   I wish the Psvanes were...
Thanks CJG for your enthusiastic comments. I will investigate further . I left my unit with the dealer yesterday... I hope to get it back in 3 weeks Best James
  Hmmmm. To me they are different beasts as I think you know already? (from your profile's FS labels)   The 150s came first based on a large number of enthusiastic reviews vs 250-250s (!). Right now though they are gathering dust and have been for many months but I find I come back to 'dusty' cans and amps months and years later to hear something new and exciting (this week de-foamed HD650s!). The answer to your question is probably 'no' but I am somewhat of a...
  Hello.    What difference does splitting the headband make to the problem?   Best   James
  Please let us know how it pairs with the DT250-250?   Best   James