Posts by jamescodway

I've had the amp back a couple of weeks now. The hum is reduced but not gone. It has made the amp somewhat more usable with quieter/classical music. The power supply has been beefed up and the RS-1s and k701s are a step up in performance as a result. New HD800s are excellent if not the best in terms of hum. The guys put in a lot of hours and testing but charged me very little. Overall the conclusion was that the box and power supply design is flawed from the p.o.v of...
This may be of interest to NW London people and beyond   http://decoaudio.com/headonism2012.html   Best   James
+1Recently discovered how much the source/DAC can impact on DT250 250 soundstage width and shape... One of its main shortcomings for me on an unsympathetic setup. Also, it does respond to an amp with authority.BestJames
  Thank you Tangster!   I tried to find this page again using pretty much every attribute I could see on the page... with no luck (!), so either I can't use the Philips search facility or you saw the link somewhere else?   Best   James
Hello all.   Those who have made reference to the X1 on the Philips UK site, would you be kind enough please to post a link as my searches have yielded nothing... .   Thank you!   Best   James
Hello. I have heard hd595s a few times and own SRH940. For those genres, I would look elsewhere. Have a good read around and narrow down.   How fussy are you about vocals/mids?   HD25-1 is my default starting point generally as it does so much so well without being too fussy about source/amp, is very portable and pretty much indestructible. It won't deliver the real low sub bass for dubstep but you will get punch and impact. You'll need to spend more to get...
I bought my pair from a retiring professional sound engineer. The pads were rotting. I cut off the old inner pads with a Stanley knife. All sounded better afterwards . Best James
Ha! I tried a pair in their production store not 2 weeks ago... serial in the 16XXX range. Good guys in there. Sounded great from my GS Solo Ultra Linear. Still pondering if they're worth the money vs. what I have already (I know the answer!) and working out budgeting/SWMBO negotiation etc.   Enjoy when you get home... I am jealous   Best   James   PS I've pleasurably read your various musings over time on IE8/80, ZX700/1000 etc.  
  Duncan, Hello!   Where did you procure the new beauties? In Central London somewhere?   Best   James Wembley, UK.
Hello. I'm looking for a face to face trade in or around N/W/NW/Central London of my 2-3 year old Beyerdynamic DT150s (250 ohm).   - Original headband, earpads and foams in good condition, regularly cleaned. - Straight Cable - Non smoking/no pets household   I'm looking for a pair of good condition DT250-250s with either pleather or velour pads and either straight or coiled cable.   Please PM if you are interested.   Best   James Wembley