or Connect

Posts by jamescodway

What do listen with right now (as some reference)? I find my DT770/80 harsh in the upper mid/treble for rock... can you audition 1st? I also find they need a desktop amp to sound 'present'. James
Quote: Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane Ah, cables are a bit iffy for me too. Upgrading them on my HD25-1 to the stock HD650 cables, but tempted to go the Headphile V2 route, but I'm worried it won't make a difference compared to the HD650 cables. Once you have basic decent copper cable, a Graham Slee Novo would be a safe & decent-value option for detail, control & punch. I find meaningful differences in engagement levels for HD25/650...
Quote: Originally Posted by XtremeD Hmm alot of people have said the opposite for the HD25 and amps. A lot of people on Head-fi say the cable swap makes no difference I say try it yourself & judge then... either way, for you, you're right
Amping is not night and day but to me, a decent amp for HD25 is the difference between engagement with the music and not... YMMV Harrow audio will supply HD650 cable (I have bought 2 or 3 sets for different cans from the shop) but even at current exchange it'll be a ~$30 + shipping. It looks like you can order direct from Sennheiser website? Retail 2002 Good luck
Quote: Originally Posted by noahnoa i've had the 25's for years mainly for djing and have loved them but really want to upgrade them to the next level. and no i dont' care if the new cable is more "fragile" as some claim i'm all about the best sound! thanks! Are you planning to amp them? James P.S. the pads, cable & grado adapter are readily adapter from many UK dealers but I guess that's not much use to you? But just in case... one...
Quote: Originally Posted by electropop 160GB (not enough) ipod -> qables dock-to-mini -> Graham Slee voyager -> Sennheiser HD25-1 (mostly). I know the senn's don't really need an amp in terms of "amplification", but i like the weight it gives for different instruments, the way it brings mids closer and separates sounds. It also smoothes the treble quite nicely, while not taking away detail. I also carry a bag with me, so the size is not really an issue....
HD25-1 is OK direct out of a DAP, better with a cable upgrade & Grado adapter though. Soundstage is pretty small & intimate, so may not be great for orchestral? Opinions vary on comfort. With velour pads, I find them comfy for long periods. HD280 has a larger soundstage and will sound ok out of almost anything but IMHO is clearly a class below HD25-1. Depending on your habits and tastes, you may want to give some further consideration to options esp. for...
Another vote for k701 is you want some similar attributes to (my wife's) TF10 &, as already said, decent amp more or less compulsory + (if you believe) major running in 300+ hours, certainly to get some more meaningful bass presence & basic impact. Agree with SE530/HD650 similar flavour (1 I like). Consider that your taste in Cans *may* be different to inears given your outer ear comes into play... its a very different experience. Go and listen for yourself but if...
Quote: Originally Posted by mr.khali If you are getting the 650 cable from Sennheiser, just get their adapter for the 650 cable part #092595. It will put less pressure on your headphone jack and it is only around $5-6. or the Grado equivalent adapter... I find I can hear a +ve difference. Maybe a few more $ but worth it IMHO. James
Nathangld, you're very welcome & good luck with your 770s... run them (& your ears) in before you decide if you're gonna fall in love & get married. IMHO, the DT770s really need an amp with very good power/control to make them do the good stuff (i.e. a desktop amp) whereas HD25-1 is very satisfying with the voyager... cue an expert like Dr House to explain resistance/sensitivity & no doubt other characteristics to explain why that might be. I haven't heard any other...