Posts by jamescodway

Nathangld, you're very welcome & good luck with your 770s... run them (& your ears) in before you decide if you're gonna fall in love & get married. IMHO, the DT770s really need an amp with very good power/control to make them do the good stuff (i.e. a desktop amp) whereas HD25-1 is very satisfying with the voyager... cue an expert like Dr House to explain resistance/sensitivity & no doubt other characteristics to explain why that might be. I haven't heard any other...
Nathangld, HD25SP is at least 1 notch down in "quality" vs. HD25-1. A re-cable will probably not make a very big difference... SP stock cable is copper though not top quality (HD25-1 stock cable is steel... hardy & robust but not best-sounding). My guess is amping the SP should help somewhat but my SPs get very little head time so I have no meaningful experience to offer a valid opinion. My tastes are much more general than yours though Faithless (8pm Sunday)...
You could take the deafening silence to mean "use the search facility" Nevertheless... if you substitute the steel stock cable with HD650 OFC stock, things should sound less 'forced' with more detail, balance and punch. DT770/80 is good with electro but large soundstage can make it sound distant and IMHO it is bright and a little harsh even after 250+ hours... so I *never* listen to them above a polite volume. My DJ friend really enjoyed his house stuff through...
My 5 year old son saw a middle aged man (his dad) wearing (i.e. checking) just-repaired HD650s in the playground yesterday It won't happen again... bad etiquette to wear open back in public... but Xtina sounded surprisingly good with little background noise intruding and only a few weird looks from other parents. James
Quote: Originally Posted by PuffyElvis As far as 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, Grado makes one (I own two) that are VERY high quality. X2 (I own four) Quote: Originally Posted by PuffyElvis In terms of purchasing a separate amp, it really depends. IMHO, ipod + LOD + dynamic cans (e.g. HD25)/dynamic IEMs (e.g.C751), a decent portable amp will generate more detail, punch, balance and soundstage. With armature (e.g. TF10,...
Can I just check that no one is proposing DT48a is better than DT48e for music? Search for dt48 at DV247.COM
My HD25s have given me quite a journey over the last the last 18 months... FROM: out the box/192 WMAs/Samsung Z5 direct... pleasant TO: fully run in/velour/ALAC/650 cable/GSP Voyager... fully engaging When I'm feeling lazy, this rig is good enough to to keep me on the couch rather than fish around for CDs, choose 650/701/RS-1 etc. Its a good all rounder... decent detail and rarely sounds thin or harsh. It took me around a year to understand/hear/appreciate...
HD25 *can* improve significantly with an amp (e.g. Slee Voyager), esp. w/lossless files and a cable upgrade (e.g. HD650 stock). I also like SE530 and agree they have similar tone flavour but would use HD25 anywhere other than where very good isolation required (train/plane) or if feeling especially vain For me, both are keepers... Interested to hear new Senn IEs...
I bought my wife a pair of TFs for her birthday 10 days ago to use direct out of a Samsung Z5. Luckily she can hear the difference vs. CX300 (!). They sound much better than I expected but, weirdly, sound much better direct than via my Slee Solo - the sound overpowered and all the mids go to pot. Any thoughts?