Posts by jamescodway

I can understand the frustration and the decision to cut losses. I was very nearly there myself. I returned my 2nd unit for repair and the background is now absolutely silent at all gain settings up to full volume even with the most sensitive IEMs. As I use this repaired unit more and with different music & cans, I will update with further impressions. Best James
I can confirm that my experience is identical to your account, for which I thank you as this thread prompted my dealer to arrange the 'repair'... I am now very happy and working through my collection of cans to determine the best combinations. So far it is bringing the best or as good as previously heard out of SRH 840, DT770-80, DT150, H6 and HD25-1.For anyone reading this with residual hum or RF issues, go and get the unit changed or 'repaired', then it really is a...
It seems the iDevice RF issue coincides with device becoming fully charged by the HD DAC-1. Today there is less/zero issue while the iDevice is still being charged... go figure!In practice this means swapping between CCK+normal USB and the iDevice interface on the front panel.BestJames
I have owned the Audiolab MDAC for 2 years. It is a very competent unit that as a dac/amp suits some headphones (HD650, RS1, SRH940) but is significantly underweight for HD800 and does not suit other phones such as B&O H6 and Beyer DT250-250. It has no iDevice specific interface. The HD DAC-1 carries much more authority as a DAC and especially as an amp. IMHO, there is no real contest given a UK street price difference of probably around 10%. Best James
My listening tests have been brief and not scientific but my belief is my experience of my 1st and 2nd unit mirrors your own, except the hum on the 2nd unit seems a little less at all gain settings. I've now established the residual RF issue is my iphone 4s that cannot be hard reset (lock button busted). Once I have settled on a new source (I hear the front usb/idevice input as more detailed/more treble than the conventional rear usb) then I think I will be very happy with...
Hello again. I have tried several different 30pin to usb cables. This seems to have no impact on RF incidence or severity. Also re: HF, the response my dealer received from Marantz was to factory reset the HD-DAC1 and 'hard' reset any iDevice to be connected (e.g. hold both iphone buttons until apple logo appears). This seems to have had some benefit. I also now have the dealer's demo unit which hums a little less and initially sounds at least as good if not better than...
I perceived deterioration when the attenuation value exceeded -40db. This was during a trial for the audio lab power amp designed to be used in this way. The dealer was not able to confirm the manufacturers position when I returned the power amp. Best James
Hello all.   For general reference, I took home a HD DAC 1 on trial on Wednesday. It ran hot, hummed a little and suffered serious RF interference on the front IOS USB input. I read elsewhere online of experiences of some faulty units.   On return to my brilliant local supplier today they found their demo unit also demonstrated RF interference (albeit a lot less) with a lower ohm headphone (B&O H6) and so they are going to contact Marantz to obtain a (silver) unit that...
 I find my HD650s direct from the M-DAC headphone out (source: Mac Mini/Audirvana) deliver excellent detail and positioning. Timbral accuracy?...  the jury is still out on that one. Look forward to reading your impressions. Best James
 I find the MDAC headlamp a puzzling thing indeed... synergy with different cans is unpredictable. My favourite listening combination right now is MDAC to HD650 (source MacMini/Audirvana/MP3 320/decent USB cable). They also work well with RS-1s but DT48 and HD800... no no no! With the right can and a decent source, I think the MDAC can be a brilliant all in one solution. Best James