Posts by Soundinista

Thank you all who have replied!   This is ultimately not just about the fate of the lovely GS1k, or about the Grado brand. I've posted in the hope that people who care as much as I do about the kind of airy, spacious, 3-dimensional sound that the GS1k has exemplified in past incarnations (and I hope will continue to exemplify) will speak louder about their preference. This is ultimately about letting manufacturers know that, for some of us, good engineering will take us...
  This is primarily a footnote to what I wrote above (at #953) in my oversimplified comparison of my three head-amp/DAC’s. In my haste to get to the object of this thread (the wonderful DAC19), I was a bit unfair to my 2007 HeadRoom Desktop and its Max DAC. It’s actually quite a bit better than the Grace m902 as a USB DAC. (I’ve just now paid attention to the USB input in both DAC’s. I’ve used both for years from their optical and coaxial input sockets.) But, USB input...
  Yes, Slim, that was the question exactly. (I apologize if I phrased it in an obscure way.) And that was the answer I was afraid you'd give me! It's the sensible answer, of course, and I really appreciate your taking the time. But I was actually fishing for a report from listening impressions, which I infer you haven't had, comparing a balanced PCM1704-based Audio-gd to the DAC19. (Is there anybody here who has had that listening experience?) The thing is, the DAC19...
Thank you both, Nigel and Slim!   Cheap wisdom: There is no such a thing as the proverbial "last 10%". When you hear the difference, the last 10% has a way of sounding like so much more! The DAC19 drove the point home for me once again. I had hopes, yes, but the skeptical voice in my head kept the hopes in check. I thought it would be different from the NFB-10SE, but likely not better. And then the DAC19 hit me like a freight train. To my ears, it's clearly...
Oh, my!...  Right out of the box, my DAC19 experience gave me the assurance that this is what I’ve been waiting for all along on the DAC front.   When I moved from the so-called “Max DAC” in my HeadRoom Desktop amp to the DAC in the Grace m902 (both DAC’s feeding the same amps, both head-amps and speaker amps) several years ago, the improvement was very clear. When I moved, a few months ago, from the m902 to the DAC in the Audio-gd NFB-10SE, the improvement was less...
FWIW: Five years after first posting on this thread, the incredible DX1000 remains my number one favorite. Paraphrasing Leonard Cohen, I tried to leave them. I really did. I worked hard on loving other phones more than the JVC. And I did find other models which proved, in one way or another, irresistible to me: the Sennheiser HD800 (fantastic microdynamics, most comfortable of all, sweet, extended highs, very three-dimensional) and the flawed-but-charming Grado GS1000i...
The hypnotic beauty of glowing tubes notwithstanding, the charms of wallet-depleting, Russian-themed, chatter-inducing, flavor-driven, gourmet tube-rolling notwithstanding, and in spite of the frowning of many of the subjectivist Head-Fi gurus, with whom I even happen to agree in most matters of principle, when I put a set of headphones on my head, I want my headphone amp to give me the largest, airiest, most three-dimensional soundstaging money can buy (when the spatial...
Thank you, Skylab, for another excellent review! (Unlike some here, I've seen very clear evidence of your honesty over the years -- honesty, level-headedness, expertise, and good taste (by my standards).)   I'm very much in the "soundstaging gymnastics" camp. (I don't get the sarcasm there, but it's all right with me. We still share that it-don't-mean-a-thing-if-it-ain't-got-that-bass ideology!) It's a preference like any other, of course. And it's one of the main...
 So am I. The only thing standing between me and a Master 5 is a cruel, elusive pile of $$$!