Posts by AudioCats

got lazy and ended up only adding 320uf per rail. (220uf + 100uf, 16v low-ESR tantalum caps). Wire used is teflon insulated 22 awg. Clear heatshrink to cover the caps.   The sound is somewhat brighter than in the experiment above, probably because of the longer wire length added unwanted resistances. Or maybe 220uf caps don't sound the same as 100uf, not sure. Still sounding quite good, can drive all my dynamic phones (600 ohms Beyer 990 and AKG K240, Fostex T20v1/T50rp,...
ran the x3 for about 20 hours, off and on. The sound mellowed down a little but the irritating brightness was still very much there. Sounded ok with my Fostex T20 (the original V1 ), but that was about it.   So I paralleled 400uf reservoir caps to each stock power cap (stock caps are 100uf), and gave it a listen.     With the added reservoir caps in place, the sound got better right away, more or less back to the AD8599's dark and intimate sound signature, but with...
Got the BUF634 buffers installed the other day.       Both BUF's are installed up-side-down, each has two pins soldered to the AD8599 pins, so they are mounted quite securely machanically (the SOIC-8 package doesn't weight anything, with two direct attachment points they are not going any where ). All jumper wires have teflon insulation, I think power wires (the yellow and grey) are 24awg and the white signal wires are 30awg.   The whole mod took a lot longer than...
^^^  ad8692 is on the other side of the board, (below the press-switches).         Thanks to this thread, I now own a X3 and of course, the stock chip has now been replaced (never was very impressed with the 8397 anyway.....). It now sports an AD8599 for headphone-out, the sound is a bit darker and more "emotionally involving", with about enough power for driving my EarSonic SM3's.   But neither the 8397 nor the 8599 has enough juice to run my Fostex T50rp.  I think...
 very interesting, so the different adapter/converter can color the sound. Has anybody compare the mSata with a zif SSD (which doesn't require an adaptor)? any audible differences? And is there any suitable zif SSD available? ( I know they are expensive, almost 4x the price of mSata).
Adorama and BHPHotovideo have pretty good prices on the X3 right now.... can't resist....
what is the X1's battery life if used as "line-out only" ?
 Thanks! I will search C5 see what has been said and done.
SR-002 is now $450, at StaxUSA.  https://www.staxusa.com/STAX-SRS-002.html   Maybe it will eventually get into the $350~$400 range.
 Thanks ClieOS. what kind of special screw driver? torx type? I think it is necessary to figure out the battery replacement/upgrade stuff at some point. 10~12hr battery life is not much, if used daily that is maybe one recharge every 2 days, maybe 150 recharges per year, within a couple of years the original battery might start to wear out. Hopefully there will be replacement/upgrade cells available within a year. By the way, I read someone mentioned that you liked the...