Posts by AudioCats

very interesting mod, do you know what the opamp supply rail voltages are?
somebody I know from work is getting into portable headphones stuff and just bought a FiiO X1. That got me curious, since the X1 is pretty cheap and can do hi-res.  Of course, a DAP is not worth buying if can not be modified. I did a search about X1 mods but nothing came up. maybe they are out there, just got buried in the giant X1 thread. Anyway, I did some digging and here is what I noticed when looking at the internal pics: * Dac chip is PCM5142, direct output...
? is this feature that unusual?       Maybe I will have to resort to modding an iPod video G5/5.5 again...
(by "raw line-out" I meant the line-out signal is taken straight from the DAC chip output, before the DC blocking signal caps.)   I know the old Sansa Fuze has such line-out, and of course various IMod's as well. But those are all old school stuff.... Does any current production DAP have such feature?
I don't see  the need for using such a big circuit board (which probably cost a lot more than the 5532). Why not just use high quality 8 pin socket on a perf board, and stack the IC's, like how they do the TDA1543 DAC's. You can even "roll" different IC stacks. Imagine 25 OPA627 per stack...... very expensive...
A bit too far a drive for me....
Almost forgot about this thread, and thanks so much for the info! I was also mainly looking at the NanoDigi and intended to tap out the I2s on the output side to drive NOS Dacs. I wanted to do BSC using the Nanodigi, for full range drivers, so your post really answered my questions.
I wonder why they didn't use the more common 5 pin socket in the super-sized mini amps. Kind of a "portable" option for the existing 003's.
very interesting, those amps look like some super-sized SRM-001..... probably have all kinds of space inside for modding?
I am looking into building a set of open baffle speakers and the crossovers seem to be the hardest part to do well. High quality components are large and can get super expensive. So.... digital crossover looks like a viable solution, but I don't know if there will be any side effect from doing digital manipulation. Has anybody compare a system with DSP-type crossover to an analog system?