Posts by AudioCats

(I know it is probably somewhere in this giant thread, but somehow I can not find it.......)   which  electrolytic caps are good for using as output caps? Is there a particular brand/model that is noticeably better than the others?
portable amps will likely use DC/DC converters to generate higher voltage rails and regulate the rail voltage, not that much better than what is already on the board. I still think adding buffers can be beneficial to SQ, probably not so much for the battery life...
Thanks for the link.....looks like he changed out the headphone and line-out opamps and some tantalum caps. IMO those areas are not really worth messing with, the power rail voltage is too low any way.    Any DAC mods?
Do you have a picture of the phone with the cable attached?
pm sent....
just saw a X3 mod picture in which the relay was moved to the side to free up the space between jacks, looks like there might be enough room for a pair of LME49600 buffers to sit between the jacks (if too tight, grind down the LME49600's plastic case..) . The opamp can stay in the original location (probably change to LME49720/LM4562, though), with its output leads lifted off the pads and wired to the buffers' input leads, then the buffers output wire back down to the...
Thanks, there is quite a bit of upgrade potential then. what is the white block between the two phone jacks (marked HFD4/5-S)? is it a relay? Is it for the SPDIF or the headphone-out? or only for the reset function?
very interesting mod, do you know what the opamp supply rail voltages are?
somebody I know from work is getting into portable headphones stuff and just bought a FiiO X1. That got me curious, since the X1 is pretty cheap and can do hi-res.  Of course, a DAP is not worth buying if can not be modified. I did a search about X1 mods but nothing came up. maybe they are out there, just got buried in the giant X1 thread. Anyway, I did some digging and here is what I noticed when looking at the internal pics: * Dac chip is PCM5142, direct output...
? is this feature that unusual?       Maybe I will have to resort to modding an iPod video G5/5.5 again...