Posts by AudioCats

how comfy is the P7 wireless? (comparing to HD580/600 or DT770/880/990)
 Thanks.How good is the B&W P7, comparing to cabled phones? is it at the HD580 level? DT770 level?
  Level-3-SFI   * drivers are orthodynamic SFI tweeter, 32 ohms * sound output is very very low. Even at the highest volume setting it is not loud enough to get the "rock" feel. * very bright, though that can probably be ameliorated by different damping. * good vocal. * bass is weak but quality is very good. * doesn't feel to be any more resolving than 770 drivers.
Probably the stuffing. In my experiment these SR drivers seem to like 1.5 gram stuffing per cup (1 gram sounded hollow and 2 gram sounded lifeless). Of course changing the cup size might change everything as well. And the ear pad size also matters, I tried a larger oval pad with the L-3-PX and the sound was tiny with weak bass....   I think the L-3-SR is good enough to recommend but please keep in mind that we are still talking about low price bluetooth phones here, the...
Final thought on my SkullCandy Hesh wireless experiments:   * If you already have the phones, I'd highly recommend at least a level-1 mod, it is easy to do, costs very little, and helps the sound quite a bit. * Leve-2 is probably not worth the trouble. It is better than level-1 but the added clarity also helps to expose limitations of Koss drivers. Plus, if you are willing to go through the trouble of changing output caps, might as well find some better drivers and go...
Level-3-SR * 560uf/6.3v OS-CON as output caps * drivers changed to Grado SR80 drivers. * 1.5 gram of Acousta-stuf per cup as stuffing.   The sound signature is somewhere between L-3-770 and L-3-PX, in about everything (bass quantity, bass quality, vocal smoothness, detail retrieval, clarity, etc). I like the sound, more engaging than the L-3-770, and cleaner than L-3-PX.  
Got a chance to listen to a pair of Sony ZX-770BN:   (with noise-canceling turned off:) clean sound, open stage, good mids. Bass is a not quite as strong as I would like but it is not weak either. No voice "graininess" like what I heard in the Bose. Sounds quite good. somehow I felt the sound might be "simplified" (therefore cleaner sounding?). The main complain is in the upper-mids/treble region, it has some sharpness that could irritate me after a while, this problem...
 Thanks for the info.  I will try blocking a few vent holes first and see how it goes. If the bass quantity can get knocked down a little more, I think the L-3-PX might be a good basshead setup.
L-1-KSC35   Got my 3rd pair of SkullCandy and swapped the drivers with some KSC35 driver (60 ohm non-coated Koss).  Left the stock output caps alone. Added 1.5 grams of Acousta-stuf per cup.   The L-1-KSC35 has more noticeable distortion than the level-3 stuff (of course). it has less "haze" than L-1-KSC55, if my memory is good, but bass doesn't feel to be stronger. Voice is a bit smoother than the L-1-KSC55, for sure, no glare/bite.   I probably should have moved...
Level-3-PX   (with Senn PX-100ii drivers) * output caps changed to 560uf/6.3v OS-CON * Sennheiser PX-100ii drivers (32ohm)   This mod requires a lot of stuffing material. With 1 gram of Acousta-stuf, the sound was boom, boom, boom, boomy. Change to 2g, still boomy. Change to 3 grams per cup (at this point the cups are firmly packed with stuffing), the bass is still very strong, border-line boomy (overpowering at times). I don't think it is realistic to pack more...