Posts by project86

Oh and don't get me started on the Noble One..... The price of those raw drivers alone is more than most people spend on their entire speaker setup. Should be killer.
I have been waiting for a product like the BTS to drop for, oh, I don't know.... A decade or so? I probably couldn't have put it into words very eloquently, and I certainly would not have been able to draw up technical specs. But the concept is something I have dreamed about since forever ago. And now Noble has the technical advancements available to really do it right. AptX sounds excellent in my experience, and the BTS has a 1 ohm (or is it lower? I forgot already)...
I find the audiophile reaction to Benchmark's products a little weird. Many people loved the DAC1 when it first came out. John Atkinson of Stereophile did an extremely positive review and used it as a reference for many years. Tons of other people considered it affordable state of the art. Yet somewhere in there, some of us started noticing it was a bit lean, brittle, and thin sounding. There was a bit of backlash I think, which wasn't helped by Benchmark's views on...
 I obviously can't speak for the HE-1000 yet, but I intend to give that a try at some point. Looks promising, though I'm not thrilled about that price... my expectations rise considerably when you start charging Stax money.  As far as HE-6, I never really enjoyed it as driven by most amps. Even from V200, it was "good" but never "great". But from the V281 (and Auralic Taurus as well) the HE-6 is one of my favorites. V281 + HE-500 is great, very solid performance all...
  Imho this is true even of the "regular" Noble designs. When I show people my K10 in real life they always tell me it looks soooooo much better than the pictures. Some designs lend themselves well to pics (like the ones Brannon usually posts) but some others, not so much. I guess there's no substitute for seeing art in real life. 
I'm no fan of the Benchmark DAC 1 (too brittle for me), but their DAC 2 is very nice. And I also agree that the Exasound stuff is quite good as well (and under appreciated). Plenty of excellent stuff to choose from.   I've been using the Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus, the Exogal Comet, and the NuPrime DAC-10H in about equal measure. Also the Parasound Zdac v2, which is a lot of bang for the buck. I like how V281 brings out the subtle differences among all these models. 
  I was just using that combo last night, fed by the Exogal Comet DAC (in a fully balanced setup). V281 drives the HE-6 better than anything else I've tried, including the Taurus and several integrated amps. You get authority, speed, definition, and massive dynamics. Still not as open sounding as an HD800, and probably not as good as my Stax rig either.... but not far behind. 
Not sure how much they want it to be public knowledge at this stage.... but yes, new stuff coming from Violectric sooner than later. The obvious, which we all saw coming (and I believe has been discussed here many pages ago), is a refreshed V800. The other is something altogether different....    Expect high-res USB using an XMOS solution rather than the Tenor chip as used by the current USB cards. There was talk of an exchange program to swap out USB cards for those...
Hey, we have similar systems! I'm running Invicta Mirus to the V281 (with the relay volume option) via XLR connection, then out to various headphones including the HD800 on a regular basis (via balanced cable). I agree, it's an excellent setup, not cheap but worth every penny when you listen to it.      The good thing is, if you ever want to try any other headphones, the V281 is more than up to the task. 
 I'll echo what was said above: the V281 is not small. It's got the V200 form factor you are familiar with, but twice as high and deeper too. That said, I can't think of any other top level amps that would take up less space. The competition is Auralic Taurus, Schiit Ragnarok, HeadAmp GSX, and perhaps the SimAudio Moon 430HA (which I have yet to hear). All of those are quite wide compared to V281. I know you aren't a tube guy, and many of the top tube amps are large as...