Posts by project86

I agree completely. Sorry if I came off as defensive.... that wasn't my intent at all. I was a big fan not only of the ES5 sound but also the pricing which seemed more on the sane side compared to JH13 and UE18. So I too am curious about the increase, but not really surprised to see it.    The market is growing and I suspect Westone found themselves looking at the popularity of stuff like Tralucent and FutureSonics (cheap components selling for high prices) and wishing...
Good stuff Carlos! A rack full of PureMedia, PureAmp, and UltraDAC sounds like a killer setup.
16 ohms or 43 ohms are not unreasonable output impedances..... for a tube amp.    Let's take a look at some of the current top solid state amps on the market. The Auralic Taurus is <1 ohm for SE output and ~3 ohms for the XLR. Questyle CMA800R is <1 ohm. V200, V220, and V281 are <1 ohm. Phonitor 2 is <1 ohm. GS-X 2 is <1 ohm. Do you see the trend?   What was Sennheiser thinking? I suppose it's not too terrible for damping factor on a 300 ohm model like HD800. Not quite...
  Because they can? Seriously though, their line of thinking probably goes something like this: ES5 was very competitive with JH13FP and other top models of the past few years. It went for under $1k which made it more affordable than most of those others, by several hundred dollars. Since $1499 is no longer a shocklingly high price for a custom IEM, maybe they feel they need to step up to the higher price range.  I know nothing about their design or whether it does...
I like it too, thus far anyway. I've been PMing with Svyr about it from the get go, and it's interesting how different we hear it. I wonder if anything has changed behind the scenes, or if there's some other explanation. I know Lear did make several tweaks here and there so perhaps the version Joe has and the one I have is different from the one on tour? Still trying to figure out the sound but I'm not hearing what they report.    Of course, this is for the custom molded...
I still like the A28 quite a bit. It's a solid performer and I don't really think you can get much better for the money. Different? Yeah. Better? Not really. As I said in my review, it's all about finding the best match as far as headphones go. If you end up with a single ended, high impedance headphone, you won't really be playing to the strengths of this amp. Go balanced and especially with low impedance headphones (doubly so for planars) and you have a good chance of...
 1) I sometimes use a Toxic Cables Silver Poison. Without debating cable differences - it's strong and durable, plus due to the somewhat thick nature it doesn't tangle much. It also has no memory wire, instead relying on a sort of pre-formed angle at the IEM end. Works pretty well for me. This is one of the higher end models in their line but I imagine you can get something more affordable with the same benefits.  I do also like the stock cable but then again I don't wear...
Just wanted to relate a story about something mildly amusing that happened yesterday. I was messing with the system, moving things in and out, and I ended up getting a bit mixed up (as I sometimes do since the system changes so often). I was using the V281 with balanced LCD-3. Source was an Aurender X100L music server connected via USB to a fairly expensive DAC which will remain nameless (since I'm not sure if I'll be reviewing it or not). The DAC has a four figure price...
 Not for the moment. The only thing would be if you eventually plan to recable your headphones (or buy some new ones with a balanced cabled). Then you'd be ready to go with the V281 balanced output. If you don't think that will likely be the case any time soon, then V220 seems like a reasonable choice.
I'm on -6 and it works well for most stuff. HE-6 needs full volume and even then it's not quite loud enough, but most other headphones are good with -6. Background is nice and quiet for CIEMs. I suppose it depends on your DAC though. Something with a low output voltage wouldn't do as well, so a higher pre gain setting would be called for. Nice to have all these options available though!