Posts by project86

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you asking which headphones you should try next? Honestly the Audeze and HD800 sounds are completely different, so it's up to you which type you might prefer. Audeze is more thick and rich, while HD800 is analytical, and either thin/bright or perfectly neutral depending on your outlook.   Taurus drives most anything pretty well. Don't go strictly by the power ratings either, because a lot of people prefer balanced mode with low impedance planars,...
  I just snagged a few recent examples that were vaguely in the same class as the DirectStream. Not trying to bash PS Audio, just using it as a case study in how marketing and expectations can differ from real-world results.  I agree that measurements don't tell the whole story - however, when Ted Smith of PS Audio goes on and on about jitter (page 1 of that review, about half way down) and the measurements show issues with that very thing.... I'm trying to tie this in to...
I hate to speculate because honestly I haven't kept up on the new Schiit stuff, so I know very little about it. And I haven't heard all that much about the new BMC either. Based on my impressions of past gear, I'm more likely to choose the BMC, but you never know.    Speculating can often be misleading. And marketing talk is strong even when results don't quite tell the same story. Example? Check out the measurements of the PS Audio DirectStream. Not terrible by any...
  Good question. That would require network connectivity be added to the device, so I don't see it as an option on the current hardware. I have suggested that they spin off the SD card player to become a dedicated device. Adding network options would make sense in that device, should it ever become a reality. As it stands, connecting Invicta to a display via HDMI and using the remote to navigate gets the job done fairly well.  For those interested, I've got a review of the...
  Without having heard any of them, or even feedback from others on any of them, it's kind of a tough choice at this stage.  But conceptually it's similar to the choice of Gugnir/Mjolnir versus PureDAC. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. 
I have tried it, and it's fine..... depends more on the amp being used than anything else. 
  Shouldn't be. You can keep the DAC-80 at full blast and use the Burson to control volume, or you can set Burson at a moderate level and then use DAC-80 to control the volume. Either way should be fine, and a preamp wouldn't add anything to the equation. 
I don't have any sort of super-sneaky inside info on this one - everything I know I got from THIS thread over at Audiocircle. Looks like the IDA-16 is eventually going to be $2600 but currently on introductory discount for $2350. So if the DAC-10 ends up being the same device minus the speaker amplification, I'd think it would fall somewhere around $2k give or take. Maybe $1500 if they go really aggressive on price. Then the DAC-10h with headphone amp will probably command...
The DAC-100 uses an AKM4390 which is what I'd call a midrange 32-bit chip. It's got decent specs, and is a solid, modern chip. But it's not the top of the AKM lineup, much less the ESS lineup which is a fundamentally different sort of chip as compared to most others.    Then again, the actual DAC chip itself is only one piece of the puzzle. Output stage, system clock, USB implementation, power supply, etc are all huge factors in deciding the end result. I'd expect this...
  From what I hear, Robert used to be excellent but something happened, and lately he hasn't been the same. I could be wrong.... but that was the last I heard of the matter. I'd look into a paypal dispute sooner than later, assuming you've already tried emailing multiple times and/or calling (if you even have the number). There's a time limit for that sort of thing, so I'd hate for you to give it too much time and then it's too late.