Posts by project86

Yeah I'm skeptical about the whole True DSD thing too.... except that the CAS192D sounds freakin' amazing with DSD. I have no idea if their Native DSD angle has anything to do with it, or if it's more mundane than that (analog stage well suited to the DSD sound, for example).    I do wonder if they mean Native DSD sounds better in their particular application, compared to what a DoP implementation would sound like. Perhaps they tried both methods, and DoP required some...
I think if you love the HD800 and its unique characteristics then the Questyle CMA800R might be the way to go. I'd choose the Violectric or Taurus for firming up the low end and giving it more authority..... but it doesn't sound like you really find them lacking in that area. If you favor speed, delicacy, and imaging, the CMA800R/HD800 combo will do the trick like few others.   I'm not sure where Fried was going with those comments about V200 being the most transparent....
  It will post at InnerFidelity, though I'll certainly add a link here. So far SE output seems on par with Taurus over SE. But they each have a flavor of their own. 
Yes! Absolutely.    I just submitted my review to Scot at Part Time Audiophile. He will post it sometime soon, depending on how many other pending articles he already has in line. Could be a few days, could be a month, but I'll post a link here when it drops. Summary - I still love the X100L and find it absolutely worth the price. 
Mine are pretty closely matched but I bet if I was able to somehow label them precisely, I'd find a slight difference as well. Same thing with the NuForce HA-200 in monoblock mode. It's basically the nature of a potentiometer to have slight variation from one to the next - even for really nice ones.    This is why I prefer to use DAC volume control (or a preamp, if that better fits your system). 
Those bevels were used on the original CMA800 model but all the CMA800R examples I've seen have the smoother design. I wonder if they repurposed one of the older chassis they had laying around?    How are the sides of that front panel? Do they have a sort of angle to them?
  I'd be interested in that comparison. The NAD is a very nice DAC as well.  Hugo review is lagging due to various deadlines for other stuff. Having a somewhat open ended timeline makes it easier to get bumped when I only have limited time. I need to stay off the forum too! Probably get a lot more writing done. 
It's probably not quite as bad with a T1 as with most others, due to the T1 being higher impedance. That output impedance of 100 ohms really kills it with low impedance dynamic design headphones though..... terrible with Grados and Audio Technicas. 
 In a nutshell, yes.... I'm sure there are some very specific, minute things which add up to some real complexity. So it's probably more difficult than just throwing two units together and calling it a day. But yeah, not really a value product at all. Never meant to be. 
I don't experience hiss with HD800, at least not at any sane listening level. If I crank it to max volume there can sometimes be a faint noise, but that's potentially a ground loop or other system noise anyway. Questyle is not alone in this - most amps act that way under extreme conditions. V200 may be the exception due to the (optionally) lower gain. Same deal with V281 - if I drop pre-gain to -6 it is pure black, but if I run +12 I imagine there would be some slight...