or Connect

Posts by project86

Wow, good deal!
No problem. Just wrapping up the SOtM sMS-1000SQ review, should be submitted in the next few days. Hopefully will post at Part Time Audiophile withing the month. I'll link when it goes live.
Nice, thanks for the impressions. I agree, it sounds great with Alphas and other planars. I've had more than my fair share of tube amps which sounded stunning with something like an HD650, but couldn't drive a planar headphone with satisfactory results. 
  Yep, the integrated DAC option is pretty good but not amazing on the same level as the amp portion. I tried the USB 24/192 version and it was certainly competitive for the extra $240 it adds to the bundle. I can't think of another DAC I'd prefer in that price range. But if we start comparing it to stuff like the $399 Grace Design M9XX, well... it's just not as transparent. I happily recommend grabbing the integrated DAC if you are saving for a V850 or other top level...
Good impressions everyone, keep 'em coming. For my part I'll say this: I've got the SimAudio 430HAD here, as well as the dual mono Questyle CMA800R setup, and of course the Taurus mkII. Guess which one I still use most? V281.
 It's a linear power supply with substantial filtering capacitance and dual shielded toroidal transformers. 
Yes! The designer is quite passionate about that aspect. Based on the technical info I have, I think UltraDAC may actually be "less" of an amp than the Chord gear... more of a pure representation of the output stage with less stuff in the way. 
At long last, my review of the B.M.C. PureMedia is up: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/01/16/review-b-m-c-audio-puremedia-pureusb1-ultradac/   Also contains thoughts on their UltraDAC and PureUSB1 active cable. Worth noting is the fact that B.M.C. just released a system update which improves the PureMedia in significant ways. Of course they had to go and do that after my review was submitted a month ago..... so some of my criticism (fan noise for example) may no...
 I'll agree with this - I don't love the sound, but man do the Woo amps look amazing. 
 Shure makes some killer stuff and should be properly respected as one of the OG's of the IEM game. Shure E500, a triple driver model, 10 years ago? Thanks for that! However, as interesting as the KSE1500 seems, I'm absolutely NOT sold on the little black box it comes with. Specifically the DAC portion. If I'm running an expensive IEM I want to use a top caliber DAC to feed it. Not some outsourced little mystery box. That, along with price, seem like issues for me.