Posts by project86

Taurus Pre is very much more focused on the preamp side of things, with the headphone amp being something of an added value. Which is sort of the opposite of the Taurus mkII. I haven't heard the Pre but since they are similar in price I'd definitely go for the regular Taurus mkII if headphones were the priority. 
  Ummmm..... hate to break it to you, but you still have plenty more potential to explore, if you want. I hear each little change going from the Fiio X5 to the Calyx M to the AK240 to the AK240 plus Chord Hugo -  all the way up to the Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus with a Violectric V281.  Despite all that, I still enjoy the heck out of the K10 from a simple Sansa Clip+. Talk about a wide range....
Yes, I see both sides. I too use 64GB cards at the moment, each with vaguely dedicated genres (all types of "jazz" and blues on one, classic rock and metal on another, etc). It works well for me.    On the other hand, having some kind of expanded navigation and metadata sorting would be really nice. When I want to access my entire 4+TB collection I use an Aurender music server, because it copes with the library far easier. If done well, the suggested updates to Invicta...
The "600 is discontinued" rumor has been going around for a while. So far, every time it's been disproved by Sennheiser directly. That doesn't mean it won't be true at some point in time but I doubt today is the day. HD650 is newer and you didn't mention them having that one either. 
I might venture to use the term "bad" but that's just me.... I know plenty of folks who enjoy their DSD model (and many who dislike it as well).
It will take some convincing for me to believe a Mytek product can ever reach such a high level. I happen to know of someone who measured the Stereo192 DSD and found it to have, by far, the worst measurements of any ES9016-based DAC they had encountered. I'm. I am not strictly a measurement guy but in that case it lines up squarely with what I hear from that device.
  Thanks! I figured it wasn't the appropriate place to go into too much depth about the differences, seeing as how the original Invicta is not really something available for purchase at this point.  The improvements are hard to nail down to a simple "better soundstage" or "improved detail". It's more like a boost all across the board. Which is a big deal considering how good the original is. Mirus just sounds like a higher performing DAC - not so obvious with a midrange...
After trying most of the amps for myself with my 007, I thought the 323 sounded best out of all the Stax amps (possible exception was the 717, which is no longer a current model - the 323 beats a new, unmodified 727 imho).   If you find yourself on the fence about getting a DIY KGSShv built, or spending big money on a BHSE, you might consider going 323 as an affordable short term solution. Run it for a few months or a few years, until you can figure out your permanent...
Looks like the price has really gone up on that PSU. 
 For the "double amping" aspect: when set to the appropriate output levels (typically 2V) a sufficiently clean headphone output shouldn't have major differences from a line-out. There's usually a penalty to be paid in crosstalk just due to the nature of a stereo 1/4" jack, but aside from that it's not massively different. This isn't the same as using a cheap Fiio amp from the headphone jack of a cheap portable DAP, where each stage adds compromise to the signal chain.  As...