Posts by project86

Sweet! I had a friend with one of those back in the day (or was it the X1t.... not sure) and I recall being very impressed with it. Those Ultra Analog DACs are something special. 
Seems to me you'd require a massively wide head in order to make that pair fit - my "forks" are always in a position outside the range of motion your set allows for. You'd have to actually bend things around "Audio Technica style" to possibly make that work, which doesn't sound fun on a rare set like the 4070.   Do you have a serial number? I wonder if that style is like a prototype or something. Surely Stax would have quickly discovered the flaw in that design and not...
Just do a google image search for "Stax 4070" and you'll notice most are like this:         While his are like this:     See the difference? There's a sort of "cutout" section on the cups which seem to block rotation - you'll never get the pair above to rotate like the pair in the top pic. Interesting.    Can any Stax historians chime in on this? Spritzer? 
Weird. Mine are not like that, and I can see how it would be a problem for fit. As I browse online, most pics are like my set, but I do see a few like yours. I wonder if it was the first batch or something. Not sure I see a way around that short of modifying the cups (which you obviously don't want to do on a rare item like this).
Ah - beat me to it!
  I've had great experience with The Cable Company, and they do carry the Taurus mk2. Looks like Auralic enforces their pricing thus no discounts available (or at least not advertised.... doesn't hurt to ask). They have a 30-day return policy, minus shipping (both ways). Or you can use their Lending Library program and "rent" the Taurus to try it out, with the cost being applied to your purchase if you decide to buy. 
The last FW update made X-Sabre capable of accepting USB from iPad (and other iOS devices, but all I have is an iPad). Just need the Lightning or 30-pin to USB adapter (often called CCK for Camera Connection Kit) and then an app such as Onkyo HF Player. I haven't tried DSD yet but have had success with hi-res PCM up to 24/192. 
  Not necessarily. The amp will accept balanced or unbalanced signals and can output balanced or unbalanced signal either way - that is, it will generate balanced from unbalanced and vice versa if need be.  It really comes down to your DAC and which output sounds better (assuming it has both). Some single-ended DACs are excellent.     I'd email Fried Reim and see what he recommends. He's usually prompt with his replies.     Good question. Svetlana 2 has more of a delicate...
  I haven't heard the Liquid Gold yet but the V281 easily outperforms the older Liquid Fire, as well as the Liquid Glass (though I realize the Glass is not necessarily a direct competitor).  Glad you enjoy the V281 as much as I do.     Thanks! I talked about the USB DAC a few pages ago in this thread, but to summarize - quite good for the price, certainly better than any dedicated $240 USB DAC I've ever heard. It's not the last word in resolution or extension when compared...
  Sorry I have not heard the Ragnarok yet, but I intend to when my schedule frees up (which may not happen for a while).