or Connect

Posts by project86

For quality XLRs that don't break the bank, I can recommend these from Surfcables as well as the Signal Cable Analog Two. You'd have to email Signal and see if they can do a shorter version, I'm sure it would not be a problem.
  Well, compare them to the Chord Hugo or even the Hugo TT and see for yourself. Google translate will help. Exceptional measurements overall, though I don't think measurements alone capture the whole story. But yes, these are quite good indeed. 
  I personally don't care for the Senn devices. They are ok, nothing special, and not worth the money imho. I'll take the Cayin any day, especially when the iHA/iDAC stack is very similarly priced to the HDVD800.
  I'm not Andy (obviously) but I can speak to stacking - I keep the (warm running) iDAC-6 on top of the iHA-6 all the time. It's fine, the amp gets warm but not hot. And this is with the very hot iDAC-6 on top, so I imagine most any other device stacked on there also would be fine.   By the way, the signup for US Review Tour is almost closing. Get your "application" in if you haven't already done so. I warn you though, be ready to buy it once you experience it for yourself!
I like the Zdac a lot but I don't think it would be suitable for the neutral sound you would want in a studio setting. Perhaps try to find an Emotiva Stealth DC1, should work well for that application.
The relay option means you have a relay-based system with 128 steps, each .75dB apart from the previous step. So it's easy to dial in the exact same level every time. It also sounds ever so slightly better imho, since it has less "stuff" in the signal path compared to the regular potentiometer.    The standard and motorized options both use a very nice Alps RK27 pot and it works very well. The upgrade is for us crazy folks who want that last little bit of transparency....
  I'm probably one of the few people out there with extensive experience using the CMA800i and the DAC-10H. They are competitive but have their own strengths. The Questyle is a headphone amp first and foremost, with an excellent DAC built in. It is neutral and highly detailed, perhaps more so than the NuPrime. Tonal balance is on the quicker, lighter side, though it does deep bass impact quite well when needed. It has 3 digital inputs and a single analog in, and on the...
  I'd say focus on your headphone search first and foremost. The new amp/DAC part is important but nowhere near as much as the difference made from finding the right headphone.  Also have you considered the other Violectric models? Not that I would talk anyone out of the wonderful V281, but there's also the V280 for $650 less. That's a significant difference and depending on which headphone you settle on the V280 might be plenty for your needs. The integrated DAC options...
It needs to be plugged in to the wall, this is not a USB powered device.