Posts by project86

The 1+ will almost certainly be the better choice. It's a hybrid design with tube voltage gain followed by transistors in the output stage. That generally means a lower output impedance than just a pure tube design. I believe the 1+ has a 32ohm output impedance if I'm not mistaken. The MKIII on the other hand is an OTL amp which typically means high output impedance. It is best paired with a 300 ohm Sennheiser or 600 ohm beyerdynamic headphone.  Will the MKIII work?...
It's never fun to see a price increase, but I gotta say it does make sense. I've thought the V281 was underpriced right from the start. It was slightly less expensive than the Auralic Taurus for example, and now it is slightly more than that device (but not by much). Meanwhile Violectric doesn't have the benefit of cheaper labor - they build it all in Germany. The two units are vaguely similar in complexity so it seems like a fair comparison. 
  Yep. 
I'm glad it is sorted, and hope that's the last you'll see of any issues. My V200 has given me years of trouble-free service and I hope the same for you.   And yes, that stack is killer! I love the silver I chose but everytime I see a black version I second guess myself.... I guess there's no bad choice in this case. 
Yes, that seems to be present across the board. Not sure why. It happens on some of my other amps too, so I don't get too worried about it.
I use that combo as well, quite nice.
Wow, I still miss this amp! Temped to buy it back, but I've got too many already here. Someone else snatch it up, please.
 Odd, there must be something going on inside the case. Perhaps a connection worked itself loose while in transit, or something like that. I got an email from Fried very recently so I'm sure you will hear from him soon.
Comparisons are sparse at the moment since only a few of us got demo units to mess with. But soon, once people start getting their shipments, comparisons should come rather quickly.
Contacting Fried was the right choice. The only other thing I would have suggested would have been unplug everything, move the unit to a completely different outlet (preferably on the other side of the house), and try it again - this time with nothing else connected, just the AC cable. See if it powers up normally that way or what. But maybe it will be best to wait for Fried at this point.