Posts by project86

No, the smile is fine.... Don't rush to be too serious.
  Good question. It's tricky because from what I've seen (and what Fried has told me) the V181 has not been very popular. V200 did quite well and I think most people went that direction rather than V181, for whatever reason. I enjoyed the V181 but when it came right down to it the V200 was a better sonic fit.  Unfortunately it's been several years since I heard V181 and thus difficult to compare. 
  Exactly. And to be honest, it doesn't make all that much sense for Stereophile to give coverage to companies like Yulong, Audio GD, Eddie Current, Questyle, etc. These companies all have merit but lack the sort of mainstream buzz that helps sell magazines.  This is something we struggle with at InnerFidelity from time to time. Although we have a different model than Stereophile and can more easily review items from smaller or lesser known brands, we have to balance that...
  Their V200 is still an excellent amp for a lower price ($999). There's also the V100 at $759 and the G109 (using the Lake People brand name, still the same company) starting at $615 for the single ended version. These will all have a portion of the Violectric house sound, and all should be very enjoyable. Even the basic Lake People G103 at $339 is still a great sounding little amp.  
 It's not that simple. Think about how many review sites/magazines actually do competent measurements these days. The list is rather small. Getting a review in Stereophile isn't just a matter of sending over a unit..... they only have so much space for reviews, and can pretty much choose any product on the market to cover. Do you think a small company like Yulong, more popular in China than here, is really on their radar? Or makes good sense for them to cover, from a...
  The DacMagic + is a more complex DAC implementation, with the dedicated upsampling chip on board. Then again it's a tough comparison - the Violectric USB board can rely on the existing power supply already in the enclosure, which typically consumes a large portion of the real estate in a DAC. 
I'm not sure why it matters if the shell is filled or not. The outside surface is the part that interacts with your skin.   My ears sweat a small amount with acrylic and a bit more with silicone, but I don't think it's enough to cause me problems. I think just the noise or the pressure from insertion (as minor as that is with a good fit) would bother me long before the heat would. 
 Judging from the 24/192 USB option in my V281, I'd say it's a pretty good DAC if not quite a great one. Very good for the price they charge though, much better than any stand alone $240 DAC I've heard. Will it beat your DacMagic? That's hard to say, as it's been a while since I heard that device. It should at least be competitive though. Not as many options, obviously, but pure SQ should be in the same ballpart or maybe even somewhat better. Especially over USB if we are...
 The 4C isn't exactly "bright" but it does have a generally neutral tone with excellent top end clarity/extension. Seems like it should be a good fit for you. The Noble 4 is the universal version of the 4C and I assume it sounds basically the same. 
I have only limited experience with the Bryston amp. I thought it was pretty good, but not amazing. Worth the price for sure but not up there with my favorite amps. But perhaps someone else can go in to specifics.