or Connect

Posts by project86

Good point! Not really enough room on the 103 to fit both. 
Anyone get a chance to hit the Cayin booth? I'm absolutely loving their new iHA-6 balanced amp and matching iDAC-6 tube DAC. I know meet conditions are tough but I'd love to hear more impressions. 
P is for Pro and S is for... Simplified? I'm not actually 100% but that's how I remember it. It's like having a truck available in 2 wheel drive as well as 4WD options. Mostly the same vehicle but minor differences on those certain aspects only. This applied to G103 as well as G109.     See the only difference there?     The A has been discussed by Fried a few pages ago. He spells out the differences making that model unique. 
The only differences between S and P models is the P has balanced inputs while S is RCA. The A is special edition with some minor tweaks to capacitors and such, along with the gold lettering. 
Just realized we are talking about the amp, but this is the DAC thread - so here are a few more thoughts.   The DAC is super versatile. I pair it with the Auralic Taurus and activate the tube output when using HD800 (a somewhat bright combo). Or use SS out when pairing with V281 and Audeze headphones (a darker pairing). I trim volume a bit when using the Cayin in my speaker rig - switching from the NuPrime ST-10 amp (28dB gain) to a pair of the STA-9 monoblocks (22dB...
I don't have a T1 here at the moment. I'll have to track down one of the new 2nd gen models and give it a shot. Closest I have right now is the AKT5p which sounds overly warm from the single-ended output. I need to get an adapter to run it in balanced mode and then I'm sure it would improve - even the "low" impedance 1/4" jack is still a bad match for 32 ohm dynamic headphones. Audeze and HiFiMAN do great though, as do higher impedance Sennheisers. 
  But what about my huge collection of native DSD512 recordings?!?! Hundreds of albums....  Kidding of course. I still can't find much of my favorite music in hi-res PCM much less DSD of any type. DSD256 and DSD512 is basically a tech demo imho. 
  I'd be weary in matching with tube amps, for two reasons: 1) EE CIEMs (and the EarWerkz models they made prior) seem to be unusually sensitive to hiss. Tube headphone amps tend to hiss more than SS amps. Thus, a bad match in general, though some exceptions might exist. 2) EE CIEMs also seem to demand low output impedance. Even something like a Pono Player gives a very noticeable change in sound due to the slightly high output impedance. You're likely to run into similar...
  Opinions seem mixed on the Antelope headphone out. Me, I don't care for it at all. Taurus is vastly superior imho. 
  Agreed! My little son got mad at me the other day when I wouldn't let him use my K10. So I wiped it down and let him try to shove it in his ear. Obviously it wouldn't fit even by a small amount (he is only 3 years old) but he was content to hold it close to his ear canal and listen that way.