Posts by project86

I've been using the USB version of the 24/192 DAC. It's pretty dang impressive considering the price. No sub-$300 stand alone DAC I've tried can match what I'm hearing. But, I did have some compatibility problems with my Linux based music server. Plays great with regular 16/44.1 tracks but not so nice with Hi-Res stuff.    I'll have to try it on a Mac and a Windows machine to see how it does. But for sound quality alone, it is great so far. 
I guess it depends on the device in question and what exactly it does. Is it pure sine wave output? Power regeneration? Voltage regulation? Balanced power? There are many schools of thought on the matter.   The other aspect is your own home power, which may be better or worse than someone else on this forum using the exact same audio equipment. In my personal opinion, this is a big factor in explaining why some of us have great results with this or that power conditioner...
Wow, that's $2300 worth of Violectric gear, not even including the cables. Deal of the century.
In a nutshell, some people find that they enjoy HD800 from an amp with higher output impedance. It sort of loosens up the bass, making it more prominent but also not as well controlled. I have a tube amp (Icon Audio HP8) that allows me to increase output impedance with a knob, and sometimes it's a nice result on certain music.
There are a few others as well. The Aurisonics AS-1, plus the ix9 Pro that Joe reviewed a while back, both come to mind. 
  Sorry I have no experience with the Oppo unit. 
  Exactly! Even in SE mode I sense a little improvement there, but balanced really shines. 
  It's funny how initially your brain doesn't like having to crank the knob higher than 12 o'clock. Like you somehow think there's a shortage of power involved (which in this case is most certainly NOT the case). Once you get over that hurdle, it's actually kinda nice to have a really broad range to adjust volume.     Nice! Yeah, the single ended outputs are a clear evolution from the V200 sound, with subtle but noticeable improvements. The balanced mode takes it that much...
Yep, that sounds about right. Depending on the output voltage of the DAC I'm using at the time, I figure anywhere from -6dB, 0dB, or +6dB could work with Audeze and others like that. It also depends on how comfortable you are with cranking the knob way up close to the max. Some people just feel weird doing that for whatever reason, while others fancy that as ideal (essentially taking the potentiometer out if the equation, not that Violectric uses a bad pot or anything). I...
Spent the evening alternating between my electrostatic rig (KGSShv driving Stax SR-4070) and the V281 driving Noble K10 (single ended mode, so kind of like a V220 I guess), all driven from a Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus. Holy cow, not sure which one I actually liked more. Let's just say V281 is.... special.... with CIEMs. I also got in some JH13 and Lear BD 4.2, and even my UM Merlins just for fun. No hiss at all on -6dB pregain setting, and a good amount of usable...