Posts by project86

Fried, can you clarity the total number of PCM1795 chips on board? I'm thinking two of them total, which is how the "dual mono" term is usually applied. But it gets confusing to think of "two converters per channel". Because that could mean two separate PCM1795's per channel (for a total of four DAC chips on board) or it could mean one PCM1795 chip per channel, each being a stereo chip. It's confusing even to phrase the question!   I find this often when using the...
  Bingo! Not sure how far along they are with it, but this thing has tons of potential. Feeding USB out to a DAC is often the best possible way (as opposed to SPDIF which plenty of streamers do). SOtM had a similar product called SMS-100 but it was just discontinued because they could no longer source the motherboards for it. I imagine Resonessence Labs is probably building everything in-house so it may be a higher end device than the SMS-100 was. We'll see. 
Yes, I think Baetis looks more promising of the two, just based on their design philosophy (and honestly the Sound Science devices are somewhat ugly considering the price). Beyond that I have no personal experience or even direct second hand knowledge from a friend.... so I can't comment further. There seems to be some reviews available if that helps.
That thing looks nice! A bit pricey compared to Aurender/Lumin but not by such a massive amount considering the build quality and features involved.    There's also the Music Vault and Baetis stuff - I don't have any personal experience with those, and some of the design philosophy is questionable, but it's worth looking since they both run Windows.
It was the Rowland 501 monoblocks which are sort of "middle of the road" in the Rowland line (at least I think they are, I'm not super knowledgeable about Rowland). I think they were $8k, and the Merak combo is MSRP $5k but my buddy got them new for a bit less. I use Merrill Audio Thor monoblocks and find them on the same level as the Meraks - they have a smaller footprint though, which is why I chose them.    Rowland stuff can range from pretty good to damn good, but...
Understandable. With all the new stuff coming out, I look around and see my HD800, T1, LCD-3, HE-6, SR-007, Alpha Dogs..... and feel completely behind the times! Not a single one of those is a hot new model. But I'll wait and see what shakes out - some of the new models (Ether, Dharma, HE-1000, Nighthawk, etc) may end up winners, but surely not all of them. And I don't want to pay to find out which is which.   Back on topic, I recently had a chance to check out the...
Wow, excellent buy there for someone with the proper voltage. I notice you selling your Hugo as well - what's the future plan?
The suspense! I wonder what it could be.....