or Connect

Posts by project86

Fried just mentioned the other day that V850 is "nearly ready to ship". Not sure if that's exact enough for you, but it points to an imminent release. 
Review is live:   http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nuprime-dac-10h-digital-analog-converter-headphone-amp#q2LDouZlbrtkbrBH.97   In case anyone was waiting for it. I still can't get over how good this thing does with the HE-1000 and LCD-3. Punches way above its price for an all-in-one. The Benchmark DAC-2, for example, while an excellent DAC, is nowhere near as good with headphones.   Oh, and the preamp side of things is excellent too. I'm still using it with the...

I heard the Venere 2.5 and actually liked them better than the larger 3.0.... but then again I also liked the 1.5 better than the 2.0 which is why I bought the "cheap" model. Bigger/more expensive/more drivers is not always a guarantee of anything, especially depending on the room.   Anyway, the DAC-10 and DAC-10H use a lossless analog volume control scheme, so you can run it as high or as low as you need. I tend to use low gain mode and turn volume up, but sometimes I...
I personally think it has to do with sound sig just as much as ability to drive. I've heard a Schiit Lyr 2 do a reasonably good job, and I've heard a different Lyr 2 sound terrible, so it clearly had to do with the tubes being used along with the associated gear in each system.   The best I've heard from a reasonably affordable amp is the NuForce HA-200 set up in monoblock mode. That's $700 total for both amps and it sounds very impressive. Violectric's V200 does a...
  It's a very nice DAC with a similar sound to the original, but refined a bit. Microdetail is a bit more fleshed out, imaging is a bit more specific.... nothing drastic but definitely worthwhile. 
   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  I wasn't particularly impressed with either of those models. The Woo is attractive but seems especially overpriced given the sound.  How about a Violectric V800? With the 15% off promo still running, it comes out to under $1100. So it's competitive with the Woo and sounds better imho. Also it will sit above your V281 for a great looking stack. The only potential downside is the USB drivers have trouble with Windows 8.1 (or so I've heard, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until...
  Me too. 
They are the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 with matching stands. Not necessarily brand new, I think they came out a couple years ago, but still fairly exciting in my opinion. I've been enjoying my pair for about 6 months and they are really great for the money.