Posts by project86

Just for info - Violectric USA now has the revised V800 USB boards in stock. Upgrade to 24-bit/192kHz capabilities, for less than the price of most good USB to SPDIF converters. 
Sorry, I subscribe to quite a few threads and must have missed your question. Sometimes I browse on my phone or iPad and make a mental note to reply later when I'm at a real computer..... but then I forget.    I need to spend a lot more time with the new CAS192D. But the original CAS192 was very similar to the CMA800R in terms of sound signature - neutral, fast, very transparent and highly resolving. Somehow, like the CMA800R, it doesn't come across as being super...
Agreed, also Tam Audio and wsz0304 - both are extremely reliable in my experience. I know it's tempting to save a few dollars but honestly, when buying an obscure product from China, you don't want to cut corners. 
Good points. I have to be sure that I make clear my own priorities, and I will certainly do so in my upcoming reviews of the Chord Hugo and Resonessence Labs Herus. I'm just not a massive "portable" kind of guy. I enjoy that sort of thing at times, and like you I marvel at the novelty of it, but it's not really a "lifestyle" for me as it is for some folks. And I can appreciate the differences in perspective caused by that fact.    Interestingly, I do listen to CIEMs in...
  I like it. A lot. It sounds easily on the level of some excellent desktop DACs and amps. Not sure it is the best DAC I've ever heard (ok, it's not....) but it certainly ranks up there near the top 5 or so. Which is saying a lot, since I've heard plenty of very expensive DACs.  It's hard to judge the value though..... do you really need a portable solution of that caliber? The small size causes some trouble regarding which cables will fit, and having it on an audio rack...
I gave the PP6 a mixed review at InnerFidelity because to me it felt (and still feels) like a missed opportunity. I love some aspects of it, and see the potential, but I also get frustrated in using it. Specifically, the gain needs to be reduced. That is step one. My unit goes from silent to quite loud in a very small increment, and there's still a ton of unused range on the volume knob. I believe it is digital attenuation too, so we lose resolution by applying so much of...
Not sure who you purchased from, but they should really be going to bat for you. Defects can and do happen, even on the best/most expensive hardware. The manufacturer should stand behind it (and historically, Yulong will) but often times the reseller can be helpful in organizing and translating for you. 
Sorry, I forgot to add that you'd attach a common adapter to it, converting to 1/4".    Monoprice buys in enormous quantities so their stuff tends to be good for cheap. Not all of it though - there's a nicer looking, more expensive version of this which tends to fail in one channel according to reviews. But most of their stuff is very solid. This thing isn't really pretty and it's kinda stiff, but should do the job just fine. 
Thanks for the updates everyone. As always, not every user will hear the same thing, and even if they do - one may enjoy it while the other doesn't.   I was thinking about it, and came to the realization that the A28 is kind of old school..... back in the day we had amps that were really good at one thing, but not really universal across all headphones. So the well-to-do HeadFier would have an EarMax Pro for their HD600 and other high impedance models, and an Eddie...
In that case, just grab something like THIS and call it a day? It looks plain but is actually rather thick, much more robust than some cheap pack-in type cable.