Posts by project86

Nice! Climbing the Violectric ladder all the way to the top..... 
  That's fine. Project86 doesn't mind when you refer to him in the 3rd person. 
We discussed it somewhere on this thread (many pages ago), but to summarize - BAL mode is more detailed, with a larger soundstage, and tighter bass, while STD is a little more laid back, smoother, warmer, and more focused sound stage.   You'd think that formula would be easy to translate as far as which headphone will work with each mode, but it doesn't always work out quite like you'd expect.  Like HD800 - I'd think I might want the smoother, slightly warmer STD mode,...
  As it stands right now the V281 is getting more eartime for me. Still love the Taurus, but I'm really addicted to the inky black backgrounds, powerful dynamics, and smooth top end of the V281. Of course, there's definitely some new toy syndrome in action... but so far it seems kind of like the V281 is a good mix of the BAL and STD outputs on the Taurus.  I'll flesh out the differences more once I post my full review of the V281 at InnerFidelity (which is taking me...
  Sweet! I had a friend with one of those back in the day (or was it the X1t.... not sure) and I recall being very impressed with it. Those Ultra Analog DACs are something special. 
Seems to me you'd require a massively wide head in order to make that pair fit - my "forks" are always in a position outside the range of motion your set allows for. You'd have to actually bend things around "Audio Technica style" to possibly make that work, which doesn't sound fun on a rare set like the 4070.   Do you have a serial number? I wonder if that style is like a prototype or something. Surely Stax would have quickly discovered the flaw in that design and not...
Just do a google image search for "Stax 4070" and you'll notice most are like this:         While his are like this:     See the difference? There's a sort of "cutout" section on the cups which seem to block rotation - you'll never get the pair above to rotate like the pair in the top pic. Interesting.    Can any Stax historians chime in on this? Spritzer? 
Weird. Mine are not like that, and I can see how it would be a problem for fit. As I browse online, most pics are like my set, but I do see a few like yours. I wonder if it was the first batch or something. Not sure I see a way around that short of modifying the cups (which you obviously don't want to do on a rare item like this).
Ah - beat me to it!
  I've had great experience with The Cable Company, and they do carry the Taurus mk2. Looks like Auralic enforces their pricing thus no discounts available (or at least not advertised.... doesn't hurt to ask). They have a 30-day return policy, minus shipping (both ways). Or you can use their Lending Library program and "rent" the Taurus to try it out, with the cost being applied to your purchase if you decide to buy.