or Connect

Posts by project86

I happen to know that even though ESS released the info about their new PRO series chips a while back, actual product has been tough to come by. There were some quirks that were not discovered until later, which meant delays in shipping. I can even imagine some designers who had gotten far on new products built around ESS prototype chips.... only to have minor changes in the final production chips, and therefore modifications required to whatever product is being cooked...
  I've already discussed the Cayin iDAC-6 DAC and matching iHA-6 solid state amp around here. And I gave them both a thorough review over at InnerFidelity not too long ago. To sum it up - versatile DAC and very neutral, powerful amp, both with excellent build quality and competitive pricing. Along with their fairly recent portable devices - the C5 amp, the N5 and N6 DAP, etc - Cayin is looking rather impressive in the personal audio segment.   Now to switch gears a...
Very nice!   Is that a pair of identical Oppo players I see there? What's the story?
 Not sure exactly when - I suspect soon though. I believe the final prototypes are just about finished, and I know the initial release time was planned to be around October. So even if they are late, a 2016 release still seems like a pretty sure thing.   As for 32-bit files.... I still don't get it. The ADC involved in vinyl rips is generally mediocre, and even the best ADCs don't exceed 24 bits worth of real world performance. Noise floor is not held back by a 24-bit...
And is it really 32 bit native sample rate? Maybe a vinyl rip or something?
Do you guys have a source for 32 bit recordings? Can't say I have run across much of that in the wild. 
  Yes it is. 
  I've had both in my system though not at the same time. I like the DAC 2 far better than the original DAC 1 - I think they fixed a lot of the problems I had with the original model. However it's still not my favorite, and I like the iDAC-6 better overall.  Choosing the settings that make the iDAC-6 as neutral as possible, it sounds fairly similar to the Benchmark, though perhaps still a touch less detail oriented. But in general it can match almost everything the DAC 2...
 As was already eloquently mentioned by TonyNewman above - it's all subjective. You can read reviews and forum discussion until your eyeballs melt and still not come any closer to some objective truth. That said, I do recommend finding some reviewers and forum folks who seem to hear similarly to you, and then following them more closely than others. As one example: Many people love the 430HA. Personally I do not... the V281 is far better imho. If you read the Big Sound...
  My experience with the upgraded Mirus Pro is very positive indeed. Not sure if it is the chip in general or the digital filters (which I believe are either tweaked or totally new). Or maybe a combo of both? Whatever the case, the Mirus Pro is spectacular..... more to come soon.