or Connect

Posts by project86

Yes, the CAS192D is an excellent DAC. I recently compared it to an Ayre QB-9 (older model, no DSD capabilities) and thought the Questyle clearly outperformed it. No contest t all. Maybe not a fair fight since the new DSD model probably brings improvements of its own. But still.
  Honestly, if you don't really know what you might like, it might be a good idea to start smaller and work your way up. Sample a few semi-inexpensive models from the classified section. Maybe two at a time. Keep the one you like more and sell the other(s). Then keep rolling through more until you find a happy place. Then STOP for a while and enjoy it.  No sense in jumping into a top tier amp when you don't know what your own preferences are. 
 I enjoy the HP8 from simple little DACs like the Resonessence Labs Concero or the Audinst DX1, as well as my bigger/more expensive reference DACs. HP8 is transparent enough to show the improvement but not ruthless enough where the more affordable stuff sounds terrible. Check out the Concero and DX1 though, both quite nice. DX1 is new so not a lot of feedback out there yet... it's pretty impressive. Or find a used Concero for a low price on the forums.   I have respect for...
Not sure about that causing issues but I have to ask what the benefit might be? Or maybe you have two sources, both with RCA outs, so you need to convert?
  Agreed on the headroom, but I do think the gain could be lower to enable smoother volume tracking. Often times the difference between "too quiet" and "too loud!" are just a fraction of an inch. Finding "just right" takes some work.  
Joining the fun - I just received the Zeus XIV as well as the Spartan IV. It's only been a few days so I have extremely limited impressions thus far. Keep trying to find time to listen but the days have been jam packed with "real life" stuff... so it's been frustrating.   I look forward to (eventually) comparing Zeus to other flagships like Noble K10 and Lear BD4.2, as well as comparing the Spartan to other midrange models. 
  Nice! That's actually a good find for a variety of devices.
  This.
 I personally like LCD-2F more in balanced mode with V281, as compared to V200 or any integrated DAC/amp I've yet heard. However, I'm not sure the difference would be large enough to justify the price.... that's more of a personal thing. The sale is great though so it's a tough call.  
I'm unfamiliar with Amarra so I'm not sure what could be going on there. Sorry. If it works and doesn't sound weird then I wouldn't give it much more thought.   As for the DAC2 and m920, those likely use a different variation from XMOS.