or Connect

Posts by project86

I'm with you on this. Seems we are in the minority, but I know at least a few others who feel the same.  Glad options exist for both types.
I realize not many people have heard this amp (yet) so full discussion is not really possible yet. But I've been listening to it more and more, and I gotta say it's really impressive. Can't wait for more people to hear this thing. The output is staggering for such a small box.... even HE-6 is driven with an authority I've rarely heard.   I've only ever heard HE-6 handled this well from bigger and more expensive amps - Violectric V281, Simaudio, Audio GD, etc. Nothing so...
  Haven't heard the X7 yet. Looks interesting though. And yes, 3rd installment of the DAP project is coming.... eventually. I've been sooooooo busy lately and just can't find the necessary time to work on reviews. Which s a bummer because I've got a lot of good stuff I'd like to show. The next DAP survey has QLS QA360, Questyle QP1R, HiFiMAN HM901S, Sony ZX2, Cowon Plenue 1, iBasso DX90, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. Some good competition for sure in that...
  Don't lump all devices using the same DAC chip into one big pile - so many DACs have the same chip but sound vastly different. Power supply, output stage, digital filter, jitter attenuation, upsampling, etc all play important roles.... arguably more than the DAC chip itself.  In my fairly extensive experience, the Sabre chips are just like TI, Wolfson, Cirrus, and AKM - they can all sound great or terrible depending on how they are handled. To tie this in with Empire...
  I see, thanks. It's hard to predict what each cable will do with each headphone. Depends on the stock cable I suppose.  Different names for the same cable in different regions? Effect should maybe stop that practice.... hard enough to keep track already without that curve ball in the mix. 
I replied to yellowblue via PM but I'll summarize it for others who might interested.   I do enjoy Norne but am very limited in what I've used from them. Indeed, the last one I tried as a "Norse" Audio product, so it's been some time since they changed names.   I like the Thor Copper 16W for HD800 as it has just enough warmth and smoothness without losing any resolution/detail. Not sure how they pull it off but they do. Highs seem ever so slightly smoother but at the...
Just picked up some cables from Effect, making them my second most common brand in the system (behind Cabledyne who makes interconnects and AC stuff but doesn't make headphone cables). Got a Thor Copper 16W for my HD800 which helps warm them up a bit and takes an edge off that sometimes aggressive peak area. Also got an Eros Reference for my HE1000 - wow, what a beast! I'll have more to say about it soon enough.
 No I don't believe I've ever done a formal write up on that comparison. Directstream is a nice DAC for sure, maybe a bit overpriced but I like it better than some of their prior "Perfect" series DACs. To my ears it still sounds a bit artificial or digital in some ways, mostly in the upper mids. Kinda like the Chord Hugo - it's brilliant most of the time but annoying once in a while. Mirus seems more balanced to me: not missing any info, but not forcing detail into your...
 Mirus is a step above anything from Yulong or Anedio.... as much as I love those devices, the Mirus is my complete end-game solution. I like it better than heavy-hitters I've tried like the PS Audio Directstream, Acoustic Arts Tube DAC II, Calyx Femto, and stuff from Esoteric and EMM Labs and Meitner and.... you get the idea. It just ticks all the boxes for me. I can't even describe it as "warm" or "neutral" or whatever.... it's just organic and "real" sounding. 
No, they have been discontinued for some years now, and not that many were made in the first place. I love my set and will never let it go!