Posts by project86

The pair I have here is serial number 5. I know there are a few more demo units floating around, so I'm not sure how that factors into thing. The page says the first 250 customers are guaranteed a serial under 300, which leaves some wiggle room I guess.   I agree that the K601/701 family has always been a very large headphone. It doesn't necessarily look all that huge in pics but it really is big. Unlike Audeze, the size doesn't translate to weight, and it's still quite...
I just got word - the drop is scheduled to live Monday (which is tomorrow) morning at 9am Eastern Time. So not much longer to wait.
No, when you first connect to a computer and install drivers (or not, if you have a Mac) the volume defaults to full scale. From there you can turn it down and next time you use it, the levels should remain wherever you last set them. But if you don't want to have volume adjusted, just leave it alone or turn it all the way up and you're good to go. 
  I don't perceive it as such. It's got nice depth - not on par with HD800, but what is? There's a hint of grain at times but it's mostly under control, which is the same for the sibilance issue too.    Haven't tried tons of EDM yet but I've done a bit of Pendulum and it's definitely the most satisfying I've heard from the series (keeping in mind I haven't heard the K712). Still not an Audeze but reasonably impressive nonetheless. 
 I meant "superior" in relation to the K701, K702, and Q series.  There have been a ton of threads here and elsewhere discussing the production move from Austria to PRC. None of them were conclusive or gave the entire picture, but it looks to me like AKG slowly shut down their facilities in Austria while increasing the new production line in China. My theory is that K712 and 65th Anniversary were some of the last models to be made in Austria. As those are more expensive,...
  Better imho. Mjolnir is pretty good in this area, but due to the somewhat aggressive tonality it seems like it is always "on". It does the peaks very well, but the valleys not as well if that makes any sense. If not, sorry, it's early where I am....
 Weird. The 65th Anniversary and K712 are both made in PRC (China) and I've never heard complaints there. Perhaps they had some issued when they first made the switch, and it showed up in the Q series. All I can say is the K7XX I have here is in no way inferior to the multiple K701/K702 examples I owned from back in the day. I guess they have it ironed out by now.   I guess it depends on how you look at it. In my eyes, this is a custom made design strictly for Massdrop, so...
 My understanding is that HeadFi had issues with MassDrop with regards to "group buys" which have been outlawed here for a while. This is totally different though - MassDrop working with the manufacturer to make a specific project for the community. HeadFi Admins are on board with this type of thing.   I don't see any build differences between this one and my older Made in Austria versions. 
  Good point - I really can't see AKG agreeing to this venture under any other circumstances. It will be tough to release another variant in the $400+ range after having already done this one for $200. No, I expect they will have to do a complete redesign when it comes time to finally replace the series. And yes, it is impressive how good these things sound! If I recall correctly, I believe they do ship overseas.     Harman seems to have moved all production to PRC. That's...
 This is a great place to start your AKG journey! Avoid the issues of the older models.   I was very close to buying both models when they came out.... but something else always popped up and diverted the funds. Now I'm glad I waited because what seems like a VERY similar performance is available for a really low price!