Posts by project86

Read up on "equal loudness contour". The average ear tends to be more sensitive at certain frequencies - the upper mids around 4 or 5kHz being the most sensitive, and sub bass tending to be the least sensitive.  Not sure exactly how this translates to soundstage.... everyone is slightly different, and perhaps as the bass (perceptually) decreases and those upper mids stand out more, it manifests as soundstage and detail. 
 Yes, I'd say the V281 (and V220) are an evolution of the V200 sound, so the general comparison with CMA800R still holds. However, this time around things are more open sounding with the new Violectric. So advantages that formerly went to the Questyle amp, are less of a difference now.  So far I've been using extremely sensitive IEMs like the UM Merlin, with -6dB pregain setting, and it's very quiet. I suppose I could go to -12dB if I had any trouble but thus far there's...
If you look real closely, there's an extra capacitor (blue in color) in the CMA800R where the potentiometer used to be on the CMA800. So there's not enough room for it to stay in the same place. It's kinda hard to see due to the opposing angles on those pics, and the new stuff doesn't completely fill up the entire space, but it does take up enough to block the spot.    I've spent very limited time with the Bakoon HPA-21. I thought it sounded good but I didn't spend...
  I can't tell if you're serious or not.....
  I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion - if the UltraDAC is a completely different, step up product from the PureDAC, and will coexist in their lineup..... why on earth would someone expect an upgrade path? As an owner of Stax SR-007, should I have been angry when they released the SR-009? After all, there was no upgrade path. If you owned a Sennheiser HD650, did you find a different company to deal with when you realized your headphone would not convert into the...
 It doesn't reconfigure itself or shut down portions - it's just a matter of how each output performs, where it has peak voltage swing versus output current. BAL out seems to deliver most current into 120 ohm loads. Which is interesting because the new(ish) LCD-3 Fazor is rated at 110 ohms. Back when Taurus first came out, all the planar models were low impedance, so this is a happy coincidence. How it works - there are basically four amp sections if you will. STD mode has...
  Indeed I will. So far both amps are extremely enjoyable, handling everything I throw at them with ease. Still need to figure out the exact character of V281 and how it differs from the Taurus. So far I'm convinced there's no wrong choice between the two.
  It is!
That's a good deal for the LPS! Even if you never end up using the 2nd ouput or the USB part of it. 
It also has to do with the BAL output having higher voltage swing, which comes at the expense of some current delivery. BAL mode is always my favorite for higher impedance headphones which makes sense, since those are the type that need more voltage.